Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Andy, congratulations on your 100th post on this thread. Hope you have a fun day with your trainee.

And good luck with the clerestorys ... funny word, that. I used to pronounce it as in  clear - story, until I was rebuked and told klur - rest - orry!

Jeff

I have heard two poeple pronunce it as 'cler - res - tory' recently. I would have to find the dictonary to find out how we are supposed to say it!

When you get your locos out to play, can you measure the bogies for me please (if they have pick-ups on!)?

BTW the 'lad' hasn't arrived yet... so have been checking out Dent. Bad news is the rain has arrived ;-{

Andy G (101)

• RMweb Premium

Don't the KS West team run the dreaded Fell locomotive? Careful folks, or 'Chard will do a runner ;)

I think you are correct, Jason.

I've just looked at some of the exhibition photos that Ian (the builder) sent me. Redditch 2009 - lurking in the background, it looks like "The Fell"!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I have seen KS West, can't remember where it was but it is a lovely layout. I also saw the 4mm model of Blea Moor at Warley a few years ago; now that just blew me away - stunning layout.

I have seen KS West, can't remember where it was but it is a lovely layout. I also saw the 4mm model of Blea Moor at Warley a few years ago; now that just blew me away - stunning layout.

I seem to remember that too, but I am not sure whether I saw it at Warley, Manchester, Wigan or Stafford, I am sure it has done quite a few shows, There is also an N Gauge one that I have seen and is very similar, that one was in one of the mags a couple of years ago and I think from memory that was about 20 feet long,

Andy.  

Sorry Peter, I continued the sequence for about 3 hours then realised I'd be there for a while longer..... :yahoo:

I'm just about to start calculating pi to a million places before settling down to learn the sequence!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, guys,

Should you have worked on this sequence for many years, would you have ended up in the record books!?!

When I was at Uni, I had Pi printed on my wall - to 20 decimal places in big characters and to 100 places in smaller characters - as a memory aid!

I got to 20 places quite easily but now I can only easily remember 5 places! D'oh!

I also had a wonderfully entertaining little book "The joy of Pi".

Strangely, these things were all around when I met the girl who became my wife, she found it an interesting challenge to memorize Pi too and can still do 10 or 12 places!

As they say - there's somebody for everybody!

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 1

Hi Jeff

Thought I had better just pop in to have a look before the year is out and was surprised to see I have had a name change.

Your comment yesterday - "Plenty of ongoing, excellent projects. Here on KL, lots to do. Mike's Dent Station. Jason's masterpiece at Bacup. Michael's 009 project. Bill at Hemyock. Bill with his artistry, Andy with his coaches, Gordon with Eastwood Town, Jonathan - with his planned loft-based Midland panorama. Larry with Greenfield, and plenty more... And, of course, master loonster himself, AndyP with his O, OO and N gauge projects.".

or is it that there are so many followers you are going to eventually call us all Bill to avoid any confusion.. :mosking:

Funnily enough there was a Bill at Hemyock in 1895, he was the engine driver and had the same surname as me, must be a connection somewhere.

Despite you not modelling there's still an awful lot to catch up on, but then again Iv'e nothing much else to do. We've been laid up with a virus this end, wife just before Xmas and my resistance to it crumbled yesterday so taking it easy, mind you it gave me some funny dreams including being lost in a blizzard on the S&C (I was feeling cold at the time). I must be becoming one of those Looney Lunesters! :)

As for numbers, I love them, I used to do a lot a statistical analysis with them when I was in the plastics industry.

Hoping to get back to modelling in a few days once I have regained control of the dining table. In the meantime a happy New Year to you and all the other Lunesters.

Bill oops I mean Jim

Hi Jeff

Thought I had better just pop in to have a look before the year is out and was surprised to see I have had a name change.

Your comment yesterday - "Plenty of ongoing, excellent projects. Here on KL, lots to do. Mike's Dent Station. Jason's masterpiece at Bacup. Michael's 009 project. Bill at Hemyock. Bill with his artistry, Andy with his coaches, Gordon with Eastwood Town, Jonathan - with his planned loft-based Midland panorama. Larry with Greenfield, and plenty more... And, of course, master loonster himself, AndyP with his O, OO and N gauge projects.".

or is it that there are so many followers you are going to eventually call us all Bill to avoid any confusion.. :mosking:

Funnily enough there was a Bill at Hemyock in 1895, he was the engine driver and had the same surname as me, must be a connection somewhere.

Bill oops I mean Jim

Some people may think you can have to many bills, especially at this time of year but some are good to have around

• Like 2

Hi Jeff,

All this talk of Pi is making me hungry, I admit its the 'pie' version of the spelling which is far more interesting to me. I always remember a teacher telling me 'You'll need it someday' - he was right I admit, still don't understand it though.

Re: Kirkby Stephen West of Hudderfield fame, yes the positively ugly Fell 4-8-4 or 4-4-4-4 rebuild is usually sitting in the headshunt of the Down refuge siding when the layout is at a show (Shhhhhhhhhhhh I wish they would drag it off scene sometimes just to get a decent photo) I'm now sitting back to await the FLAK !!

Its one of those loco's I wish had never been designed another is the Leader, both probably designed by people who understood Pi.... I say steady on!

Cheers

mike

• RMweb Premium

Wow! I don't look at the thread for a couple of hours and there's half a dozen posts waiting to be checked...

Jim, apologies about the names. I was doing a lot of messing around with names and numbers yesterday - I was bound to get something wrong. Sorry to hear the virus has now reached you - so many of them about. Your dreams confirm you as a definite Lunester. I don't recall having an S&C related dream, so I'm jealous!!

I like your quip Billy. Bills are normally most unwelcome!

Best wishes,

FredCharles, Jeff (got there in the end)

• RMweb Premium

Mike, 

Glad you're familiar with KSW. If I had another 6' to work with I wouldn't be doing a Kirkby Luneside as the Kirkby Stephen part would end up with too much of a scale resemblance to KSW. I'd have picked a different scenario - maybe Dent!!!! As it is, there's much in common, though I don't expect to produce as good a set of buildings as the HMRC came up with!

As for the dreaded Fell loco, you needn't apologise for disliking it. It really is an ugly beast, but I suppose it served some purpose (whatever that was).

Jeff

Always a 4-8-4 actually, the two centre axles were directly coupled internally through the gearbox, the centre set of coupling rods were redundant and were removed because they were causing problems of some kind.

Regards

Keith

I know they were removed to reduce vibration problems but never new about the internal gearing, thanks for that, love these little gems.

Cheers

Mike

Mike, 

Glad you're familiar with KSW. If I had another 6' to work with I wouldn't be doing a Kirkby Luneside as the Kirkby Stephen part would end up with too much of a scale resemblance to KSW. I'd have picked a different scenario - maybe Dent!!!! As it is, there's much in common, though I don't expect to produce as good a set of buildings as the HMRC came up with!

As for the dreaded Fell loco, you needn't apologise for disliking it. It really is an ugly beast, but I suppose it served some purpose (whatever that was).

Jeff

DENT !!! Craefull. See you've got me all a flutter now.

Fell - purpose? No let's not go there eh.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just got in after seeing-in the New Year.

So let me wish all the Lunesters, and anybody else who cares to dip into the variety of this thread, a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Let's hope we get some cracking modelling done in 2013!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Schubert's random fact no. 357

Does anyone know why clerestory coaches had clerestories?

Al

The Midland ones had them to match the American Pullmans! The idea was to allow more light into the interior (Real Clerestories are the top stories on the naves of Churches, again to get more light into the nave (as usually as soon as side naves (The real names has gone!) are added you loose all the light, so you extented the nave upwards one storey and put the windows up there and bobs your uncle, the centre nave is less dark)

They were also used to add ventilation space. They went out of favour as they made the vehicle weak in collisions, and probably cost more to make.

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

DENT !!! Craefull. See you've got me all a flutter now.

Fell - purpose? No let's not go there eh.

Cheers

Mike

For information on the fell loco see the Davey-Paxman history on the web... Brilliant site listing Paxmans history and whats going on at the minute. The fell is at http://www.paxmanhistory.org.uk/paxfell.htm

Andy G

• Like 1

Morning all and a Happy New Year,

Thanks forall  the info on the Coaches, although I have never modelled them, I am always keen to learn more about things like this, including it's pronounceation, which as it happens I think I had right.

I cant believe it, my first post of 2013, and it's a serious one, must check my medication.

Andy

P.S. as for the Felll loco Jeff, could you not just buy a Deltic and DROP IT ON IT'S NOSE?

• RMweb Premium

Morning all and a Happy New Year,

Thanks forall  the info on the Coaches, although I have never modelled them, I am always keen to learn more about things like this, including it's pronounceation, which as it happens I think I had right.

I cant believe it, my first post of 2013, and it's a serious one, must check my medication.

Andy

P.S. as for the Felll loco Jeff, could you not just buy a Deltic and DROP IT ON IT'S NOSE?

Happy New Year Andy.

Don't worry, I would never have The Fell on any of my layouts if you paid me! You can see why a lot of people hated diesels - when you compare the beauty of many of the steamers and the "brick"-like appearance of that thing. Nope, not a chance.

I'm a bit serious too - probably a bit worse for wear from the night before! A bit more loco running planned today - in the old layout room. Just warm a few engines up a bit!

Schedule: Hopefully I'll get the 8F tomorrow, so it can be chipped and tested. Then it's time to fit some more track, to complete the branch line into the fiddle yard. A few headshunts need to go in, and Cobalts fitted.

That lot should keep me busy for a few days.

I'll buy the track bus wire next week, and then the fun starts...

Finally, when I get chance, I've got to get some acrylics and complete the tunnel portal. So there you go! Ho ho ho!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Well the other loco you could try is GT3. Now it's not as good looking as say a Jubilee, but is nowhere near as butt ugly as the Fell. It would be a quite easy thing to build too. Theres no valve gear, and it used a steam loco's main frames (was it a black 5??) and the tender was enclosed all round.

Prefect for the S&C as didn't it do testing on it with the LMS mobile test units?

This year has been good for modelling for me so far.... The sleeper is now glazed (with blinds fully down in 1st class end, the attendants comp blind just open, one 3rd fully down, and then the remaining full 3rd partially open, and the 1/2 3rd fully open on the door, but drawn on the quarterlight.) Two of the nudes have been installed.... one is quite visible! :sungum:

Trains have started to run again here, so not sure how much more I'll be able to do today, but I've got to investigate a double ended MR compo brake (ex slip coach) to see if I can bash it, but i only have pictures of the corridor side, and no drawing... Can anyone help (Larry???) ;-}

Andy g

Edited by uax6

I don't think WDs went over the S&C on a regular basis, though I'd like someone to tell me otherwise.

Hi Jeff

The S&C has always been my first love(railwaywise I should add) ever since growing up with the writings of the late David Jenkinson, so I have loved reading this thread. I used to have quite a number of S&C books until I sold them and a lot of my model railway stuff when we were short of cash in the early years of married life, anyway, to get to the point of this post.

I went through each of the S&C books I had looking at the photos and made a note of the BR number of each loco that was photographed along with things like the type of tender towed by the Jubilees and a couple of other details like 4F's with tender cabs and wrote them out on a long list, which lo and behold I found a week or two ago and it runs to about 15 pages, Next time I'm on nights I am going to type it all up to make a tidy copy and yes there were WD's on the list.

When I get it done would a copy like this be of any use to you? 

Ian

• Like 1