Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

Sorry, 1st chance I have had to see this film, takes me back to when men were men and sheep were worried - brilliant! thanks.

Mike

Hi,

I am glad that you and others like this.  It was a different world then, one I grew up in and just remember.

What I like most about the video for this thread is that it was at Bleath Gill, which I assume is on Blea Moor and down the Dyke or up the Fell from the as yet unpainted tunnel mouth.

(Strange that Devil's Dyke in Brighton is a hill)

Jeff,

I had posted my reply to Chris before seeing your sheep quiz! Sorry I have no idea where it originated but its been going around for as long as I can remember expecially being a city dweller as a lad.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

So, to replicate the burnt trackside would using burnt hanging basket liner give the right effect?  Or is there a better way?  Would the burnt effect still be around in December and was this also GWR practice?  

Polly,

Not sure if this is helpful but I have seen that Slaters do a grey scatter material called 'Dead Grass'. 

Would you not also need trees that has half lost their leaves?  Also, you would need to add milliput overcoats and scarves to your layout figures

• RMweb Gold

You are actually correct about the walling, Andy. I've been looking at a "few" S&C photos and books over the last couple of days and it looks like I'll have to build the walls layer by layer, using slabs of DAS or filler - most likely the clay. Photos in the Feb RM - you mentioned this last week, so I bought a copy - confirm the layering. It's ok - so what if it takes me a hundred hours? I spent more working time than that on the viaducts...

I was going to suggest you built them brick by brick!  It would enable some bits of the wall to be broken down.  As for taking hundred of hours, you do not have to do it all at once.  It could be one of those little jobs that you do when you have the odd few minutes between other less important things of life, llike seeing your brother, having a social life etc.

As for sheep, is it Preiser that do packs of 40 or so?  I know they are HO but they will be highland sheep so do not have to be as large and as fat as Southdowns.

• RMweb Premium

I was going to suggest you built them brick by brick!  It would enable some bits of the wall to be broken down.  As for taking hundred of hours, you do not have to do it all at once.  It could be one of those little jobs that you do when you have the odd few minutes between other less important things of life, llike seeing your brother, having a social life etc.

As for sheep, is it Preiser that do packs of 40 or so?  I know they are HO but they will be highland sheep so do not have to be as large and as fat as Southdowns.

Hi Chris.

I suspect I will end up building them brick by brick. I know it's time-consuming but, if I can make a range of different sized stones, that's what I'll do. I've got plenty of sheep already - though I may need a few more!

Mike,

Can you let me know the supplier you used on eBay, please? Might have a look and see what's available!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It's a funny thing - it's been very quiet on this thread all day - postwise (still nearly 400 views though). I go to my brother's for coffee and there's an explosion of posts!

It's -5C outside at the moment. I'm determined to do something outside tomorrow - there's tons of things on my "can do" list. If that wire turns up then I'll start to fix a section in place. I've a fair bit of prep work to do and I'll show what I've done in the next day or two. As Mike said, the heaters will have to go on for a couple of hours...

I spent a happy hour this afternoon running my 8F and a 5MT round and round the one working line of my old layout. Anybody watching would probably describe it as "mindnumbing", but to me it was a pleasure. Is there a medical condition called "loco deprivation syndrome (LDS)"? Lol.

Jeff

It's a funny thing - it's been very quiet on this thread all day - postwise (still nearly 400 views though). I go to my brother's for coffee and there's an explosion of posts!

It's -5C outside at the moment. I'm determined to do something outside tomorrow - there's tons of things on my "can do" list. If that wire turns up then I'll start to fix a section in place. I've a fair bit of prep work to do and I'll show what I've done in the next day or two. As Mike said, the heaters will have to go on for a couple of hours...

I spent a happy hour this afternoon running my 8F and a 5MT round and round the one working line of my old layout. Anybody watching would probably describe it as "mindnumbing", but to me it was a pleasure. Is there a medical condition called "loco deprivation syndrome (LDS)"? Lol.

Jeff

Definitely in the 'pleasure' catagory of railway modelling. I spent a few hours with my grandaughters the other day watching Thomas & Friends going around a circle of track on the floor. Have'n't had so much fun in ages! I just put it down as going back to my roots!

Regards to all

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff

-6C in the dales this morning so not as cold as some places. Managed to get delayed both ways on my Swansea trip. Trouble with Voyager computer saying "No" at Darlington and had to do an engine restart, followed by more "tests" at York. I think the driver was counting the wheels. I was an hour late for my meeting. On the way back one of the 125's power units failed and by Darlington we had lost 48 minutes. Goodness knows what time it got to Glasgow. The guard blaimed slower trains in front! In the good old day somebody would have hit something with a very big hammer.

Anyway, no modelling on Monday evening as we had a 3 hour power cut!. Hope your progress is better.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff

-6C in the dales this morning so not as cold as some places. Managed to get delayed both ways on my Swansea trip. Trouble with Voyager computer saying "No" at Darlington and had to do an engine restart, followed by more "tests" at York. I think the driver was counting the wheels. I was an hour late for my meeting. On the way back one of the 125's power units failed and by Darlington we had lost 48 minutes. Goodness knows what time it got to Glasgow. The guard blaimed slower trains in front! In the good old day somebody would have hit something with a very big hammer.

Anyway, no modelling on Monday evening as we had a 3 hour power cut!. Hope your progress is better.

That sounds like one cock-up after another - and you take it so philosophically!

Only -4C outside at the mo. Still waiting for my track bus wire to be delivered.

I think I'm going to spend a couple of hours running locos on the old layout - to have a play and give them some exercise!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Just spent a pleasant hour during a lull in traffic putting some Lamps, Kaydee Couplings and LMS transfers on 2 Airfix/Hornby Stanier brake vans.

Ian

Just be sure you don't miss a passing train!

Ian, that list you sent me (and Mike) is really good. It'll save me having to spend a lot of time (doing a much worse job, as I have less reference material) later in the project. 

Jeff

Just be sure you don't miss a passing train!

Ian, that list you sent me (and Mike) is really good. It'll save me having to spend a lot of time (doing a much worse job, as I have less reference material) later in the project. 

Jeff

Hi Jeff

No problem, sadly I no longer have many of the books mentioned so I am unable to update it, for example, a lot of the 9F's are marked high or low tender because at the time I didn't know there were the 1b and 1f versions of the high!!!!

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

No problem, sadly I no longer have many of the books mentioned so I am unable to update it, for example, a lot of the 9F's are marked high or low tender because at the time I didn't know there were the 1b and 1f versions of the high!!!!

Ian

Hi Ian,

No problems with the tender etc details. I'm not one of those people who wants everything to be perfect. I'm just trying to set a scene to run appropriate - not necessarily spot-on - models in. Otherwise you end up spending the whole of your time in a paranoid state - was the passenger on platform 2 wearing clothes appropriate to 1965/is the point rodding the right colour/oops, I've modelled the wrong type of limestone in my ballast etc. For me - others can do their own thing - that is just TOO MUCH.

The track bus wire has just been delivered. Since it's -4C outside I'm going to skip the bunker today and get cracking tomorrow morning. Time to play run locos methinks.

Where in the country are you based, Ian? We have Paul at Kirkby Stephen and Andy in Cambridgeshire as active signalmen amongst the Lunesters.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

Hi Jeff, Just got my Flip flop working on Georges Wifiey thingy, and guess what you have another couple of pages for me to catch up on. I will have to read it when I get home as we are so busy making movies and doing jobs on T at the moment.

As for the Sheep well I ain't got a clue either, hahah

Got to go more to do :O , NO COFFEE UP HERE, its as dry as a bone and no cake :no:

catch up again soon I hope.

Old Lune.

• RMweb Premium

You've fallen into that trap Jeff; the draw of running locos is keeping you from the layout construction. That's why I put all my stock away for the best part of a year, other than to test wiring, etc. Next thing, you'll be digging out stock to run behind the 8F, knocking up some basic scenery and then where will we be? Pages 120 - 180 of our incessant waffle and you sat in your spare room in front of your old layout, whilst the bunker gets lined with cobwebs :D

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

Where in the country are you based, Ian? We have Paul at Kirkby Stephen and Andy in Cambridgeshire as active signalmen amongst the Lunesters.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Port Talbot in South Wales, Jonathan would have passed the box on his Swansea trip.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hee hee. Thanks Jason. I'm actually making sure I don't fall into the trap. It's just too late in the day to get the temperature up for any worthwhile work out there.

Give me a wake-up call at 7am tomorrow and you'll find I've already got the heaters on... I'd rather build the hillside, but the fiddle yard section needs wiring and testing first.

The two things I'm looking forward to in the next 2-3 months are building the hills and the station... You can keep me on track!!  :sungum:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Ian, I'm glad to say that I still wave to the trains that pass the box. Ok they are the same 365's that pass every day, but hay, it makes me feel that I'm in touch with the world!

Going through the 'book' at the minute to see what train formations I can come up with.

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I'm interested to see how the landscraping part of the railway is going to be done. It's not my forte and the last time i did any it was wire coathanger formers with paper maiche over the top, then some lint as the grass.... :lol:

Another siggy over in the Welsh Marches does a good line in landscapes, but i don't think we'll find him on here.....

Andy g

Hi Jeff

Just spent quite a while a long time catching up on things and see I've been missing a whole load of discussion.

With regard to the walls I think you know I would end up building it with individual stones possibly with some scribed ones in clay straighter lengths if I could get them to look the same, so best of luck with whatever you decide and like you said there is no rush for these scenic details. As for playing with trains I can avoid that quite easily because I haven't built them yet. :mosking: .

Right I'd better pull my finger out and get cracking or you'll have your station built before I finish mine.

Jim

Blimey there's more posts arriving while I type.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, Just got my Flip flop working on Georges Wifiey thingy, and guess what you have another couple of pages for me to catch up on. I will have to read it when I get home as we are so busy making movies and doing jobs on T at the moment.

As for the Sheep well I ain't got a clue either, hahah

Got to go more to do :O , NO COFFEE UP HERE, its as dry as a bone and no cake :no:

catch up again soon I hope.

Old Lune.

I'm glad you are in touch with the real world, Andy! Not that much has happened on here... Good discussion on stone walling, though!

Do they not sell coffee and cakes in Stockport? Enjoy making the videos - they should be good viewing when you get home.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Andy (uax6). I don't like my landscapes to be a cobbled-together botch-up. So the hillsides will be constructed from wooden frameworks - you'll see within the next month or so.

Jim, I'm with you with regard to the stone walling. I think it'll be stone by stone - until the process drives me insane!!

Ian - looks like you're in for a LOT of snow in south Wales!

Jeff

Ian, I'm glad to say that I still wave to the trains that pass the box. Ok they are the same 365's that pass every day, but hay, it makes me feel that I'm in touch with the world!

Andy G

Hi Andy

Even if I waved at the trains the drivers wouldn't see anyway because we have "one way" glass in the panel,

As an aside(and sorry to clog your thread Jeff) I had a strange incident this week, I had a late running freight with a passenger catching it up so I set the road into a loop intending to let the passenger pass the freight, the freight stopped at the entrance signal and the driver came on the phone saying his diagram didn't show his train as being looped so he catagorically refused to go into the loop to let the passenger past.

Ian