Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Just as a matter of interest - I always feel I'm "teaching people to suck eggs" with some of this stuff - here's a piece of the dressed stone I "smeared" last night after an experiment on creasing.

This was done with Tamiya black acrylic - a few splodges dropped onto the sheet and rubbed in with an old rag. After drying, I don't think the effect is too bad...

Jeff

post-13778-0-20745300-1343827165_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Jeff - are you going to treat the stonework with any more colours, other than touching up the corners where the plastic has stretched?

Am still going passed the Slaters factory next Wednesday so let me know if you want anything. Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jonathan,

Stonework will be treated as in post 401. Mainly black, with some lighter "highlights" when the black dries...

I've actually got 25 sheets of the Dressed stone plastikard. I went through all my stock boxes and uncovered a treasure-trove! Amazing what you accumulate over the years. Interesting to compare prices, too. The earliest sheets I have were £1.60. Ten yesrs later, £2.54. Inflation! Many thanks for your offer!

I can only do so much at a time as the bunker stinks of solvent. Airing it now - may do a bit more later.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

I've got Saddleworth viaduct to build for outdoors so might build one as per yours, then make a mould for shuttering. On the otherhand, a removable viaduct is an option. Slater also do another kind of stone for 7mm. Can't think what its called. When do the track laying men arrive....?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Larry. Yes, there is also Slaters "Cotswold Stone". Though the stuff I'm using is nominally 7mm, it seems right for the size of the viaduct.

I've received 30yds of SMP and some of the turnouts I ordered, earlier in the week. I still have to sort out a mechanism to hold the backscene boards, then raise the baseboards to viaduct-road deck level. But I'll be able to mark out track positions fairly accurately soon (I'm supposed to be fishing at the mo), so the trackmen have been hired and put "on hold"!!

Best wishes,

Jeff

If fishing is as relaxing as it was when I were a Kid, just plonkin a bit of sting and a worm in the River Wey near Addelstone in Surrey, and catchin nowt more than a cold you ought to fink abart takin a kit wive you to build, HOW ABOUT AN O Gauge wagon for starters, hahahahahahahha :sungum:

P.S Jeff love that viaduct mate

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If fishing is as relaxing as it was when I were a Kid, just plonkin a bit of sting and a worm in the River Wey near Addelstone in Surrey, and catchin nowt more than a cold you ought to fink abart takin a kit wive you to build, HOW ABOUT AN O Gauge wagon for starters, hahahahahahahha :sungum:

P.S Jeff love that viaduct mate

Ta very much Guv!!! You really are the Prince of Mischief!!

Fishing...even if you catch nothing it's relaxing... sat amongst glorious scenery, the birds singing, the water rippling, the wind rustling through your hair... and the way the b****y weather has been lately, probably hunched under a brolley to avoid the latest typhoon! Seriously, my dad's a bit of an ace when it comes to fishing, so I enjoy going with him, even if he does show up my lack of skill.

I've just put a bit more plastikard on, but the fume levels were rising so I got out before I got too high! It'll soon be time for a bit of modelling "filler" and the sander. Then off for a wee tad of fishing...

Cheers Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Update - this morning's hour of effort at 6am...area between stringer course and arch blocks. We're getting there. Off to re-stock with evo-stik and model filler. A bit more imminent modelling due to change of plans.

The second picture - no flash - gives a better indication of the stonework colour, pre-"painting".

Jeff

post-13778-0-50236600-1343978808_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-70842900-1343978839_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Excellent pics mate, NOTE TO SELF no wind up about O Gauge today :no:

Cheers! I have to say, when I saw you'd posted, that I thought you were going to ask me if I ever go to bed!! Lol.

O gauge? Wos sat then? :no: :O

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Mike,

It's what is called a micro micro model. You plonk a piece of rail on the top, sit a loco of your choice on said rail, and sit and admire it! Takes up the bare minimum of space and doesn't cost much for a "complete" layout!!

Jeff

• Like 1

I always keep a pencil and note pad beside the bed, as some of my best ideas have come about 3 in the morning, sleep is for whimps, anyway put a bell on your fissing line and you can always have a power knap whilst fishing, or better still DONT PUT A WORM ON THE LINE and then you wont get disturbed hhahahahahahaah. I am just doing my final packing up ready for the Ruddington Show with Trebudoc and Loch Leven (I wont take two to a show again, it is too stressfull) catch up after the weekend. P.S I expect to see the viaduct finnished by then, hahahahha. Laters, Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with the show, though you'll need 4 arms and 2 brains to run both the layouts. Perhaps O gauge is a bit much for you, Andy... Lol. :nono:

Anyway, have fun. I'm definitely having a modelling break for a week or so. As other posters on the Forum say, "I need to recharge my mojo!!"

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

One thing to guard against in this hobby is complacency. Shortly after writing that last post I thought I'd go into the bunker and put the first couple of pieces of plastikard onto the inside of the piers of the Main viaduct. Measured-up (ho-hum), coated all faces with evostik, waited for the glue to cure, applied card to inside of piers. Erm, doesn't quite fit... in fact, it was miles out (5mm - which is bad!).

I'd made an assumption about the size of the (skewed) piers, based on one measurement. My assumption was wrong! What's the old saying..."measure twice, cut once" - so at least check and don't assume. Too buoyed by the progress I've been making, methinks. Card ripped off and in the bin. Nice to make some mistakes - sharpens up your skills. But no more practical work for a few days!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear! A "bit of fishing" ... umm. With the torrential downpours I think there was more water falling on me than the fish were swimming in!!

A chance to think about how to fit the backscene... I'll do something about this in parallel with the viaduct work when I return.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning guys. It seems odd not to be doing things and posting on here several times a day. At least I've had time to think out a very simple scheme - no frills whatever - for fitting the backscene. Relevant timber will be ordered when I return. With a bit of luck, I might even have something on the wall before the end of the month!

It's nice to relax, but I'm itching to build something. Addiction or what?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Actually managed an hour or so of modelling today. So I made a bit more progress on the Branch viaduct. I'm hoping to have it complete and ready to paint by the end of the weekend.

The obligatory photo!

Jeff

post-13778-0-70984900-1344624045_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-70984900-1344624045_thumb.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy. I was looking at the "Bishopcombe" layout and was impressed with the photographic backscenes. Les, the builder, got them from ID Backscenes. They come in a tube in 2 x 5 foot sections x 15" high. I'm off to order some ply board and batten material tomorrow morning.

Glad you like the viaduct. It's getting there. I'm impatient to splash some paint on it - it will look far more realistic when that's done. Archstones and arch-liners tomorrow, I think. Main thing is to enjoy what you do. I like fishing - but I'm not too good at it!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jonathan. I used Humbrol model filler. A good, reliable standby. If you haven't used it before, it stinks the place out - probably highly addictive - and I give it a couple of days to harden before rubbing down.

Jeff

Hi Jeff I have to say that I really am impressed with the viaducts. I just don't have the pactients for that sort of dedication to one specific bit of scenery. I have been working an a diorama for the Hornby Mag competition but I am getting board with that already. Maybe I should go back to fishing for a BRAIN BREAK, or stop doodling for my LAST GREAT PROJECT in my sleep. :stinker: .

• RMweb Premium

Nah, don't give up! If you have a good idea, see it through - especially as you have the expertise to do a bl***y good job of it.

Quite funny this - I'm like a pendulum - swinging between KL and Loch Leven. Come on mate - you're nearly at 1,000 posts!!

Btw, my schedule for the next 2-3 weeks is viaduct work, backscene boards then maybe build some risers. All essential, but can't wait to get some track down. Oh - and more fishing!

Keep inspiring me with your weathered locos!

Jeff