Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Don't be silly :no: Jonathan

I thought that would be the answer! In the Science block where I used to work, they refurbished the labs over a 3 year period. the first 3 labs got aircon. The remainder, in phases 2 and 3 didn't. Mine didn't and ranged from a freezer in winter to an oven in summer. And no airflow either. I'm guessing you work in a fairly modern building - management doesn't seem to realise the effect of temperature and carbon dioxide build-up on the brains performance.

Nm, just fall asleep and dream of Peppercorn A1s and A2s steaming through Leyburn (or whatever takes your fancy!).

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I naively thought I would get some painting done by today. Not a chance. I'm working on the arch rings now - only 15 to go!!!! However, all the arches now have a plastikard (20 thou plain Slaters) arch liner and all the main stonework is done.

An interesting thing I've not noticed before. Rubbing down 2 sheets of stonework on 2 perpendicular faces...if you rub fast enough(!!) the styrene appears to melt, filling in the bits you might need to bung-up with filler.

Some more ply and wood being delivered tomorrow, so I think I'll be fitting the backscene boards. Photos will, of course, be forthcoming!!

OK, you can wake up now! :stinker:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'm quite happy scratchbuilding viaducts, platforms, scenic areas etc.... BUT ... as I said previously, I've NEVER built even a single buiding from scratch. I suspect this will be a winter project, but I quite fancy having a go at a "typical" S&C station building. It would be very easy to buy the Hornby Dent Skaledale model, but where's the fun in that. SO...

Question: Can anybody recommend a "beginners" guide to scratchbuilding buildings (book)?

I've learned an enormous amount on here from a number of people. Cheers lads, you've given me the "bug"!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

I'm quite happy scratchbuilding viaducts, platforms, scenic areas etc.... BUT ... as I said previously, I've NEVER built even a single buiding from scratch. I suspect this will be a winter project, but I quite fancy having a go at a "typical" S&C station building.

*snip*Jeff

At the rate you are building, Jeff, I'd think a whole Yorkshire Dales village would be your "winter project"! :D

Very nice work so far - I really appreciate the clear photos (and copious quantities of same). It tells us all a fascinating story. Thanks for sharing.

• RMweb Premium

At the rate you are building, Jeff, I'd think a whole Yorkshire Dales village would be your "winter project"! :D

Very nice work so far - I really appreciate the clear photos (and copious quantities of same). It tells us all a fascinating story. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Scott ..... Don't give me ideas!! Lol. :jester:

Thanks for the comments - right the way through the thread. I sometimes feel I'm overdoing the photos and that I'm prattling on with un-necessary detail. If anyone finds it useful I'll continue that way.

It's 6.30am here. I've already been in the bunker for an hour. Coffee then off to cut out some more arch rings. Comments like yours just spur me on! (Btw, I think I'll model Freemantle over the winter! :O ).

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Nm, just fall asleep and dream of Peppercorn A1s and A2s steaming through Leyburn (or whatever takes your fancy!).

Jeff

It's J72 "Joem" at the moment. It only does a couple of trips per day due to its small coal capacity. The G5 that they are building at Shildon would be ideal for the line as it's ancestors were. My preference is for anything MR/LMS :) .

Getting back to buildings, you seem to be happy enough with plasticard and while embossed brick doesn't look quite right to me the stone is fine. I find it's better to laminate layers rather than use one thick one and you can high on MEK rather than Evostik. I also am happy with card. It's cheap and plentiful locally (the art and craft outlet at Teesside Park). Again laminating is the best way a la Scalescenes. Why not treat yourself to one of their buildings as a tester? Have a look at the Card Structure modeling forum on this site to see what's possible? While not embossed, Scalescene's textures are excellent. I built most of the buildings on the National Trust's Pilmoor layout at Ormesby Hall in card, although the textures are the now unavailable Exactoscale self adhesive brick and slate sheets. I have recently built the station building from Hulme End on the Leek and Manifold in plasticard, when I get home I'll post a pic, but not until tomorrow as work are sending me, by train, to Nottingham for a meeting. Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jonathan. A lot of useful ideas there and I will certainly be trying out different ways of doing things to see which I prefer. I haven't been to Ormesby Hall for over ten years. Were you involved in the project featured in Hornby Mag about 5 years ago?

Have fun in Nottingham. Meetings - yuk, I hate them!

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, you're making great progress with the viaducts, I really like the main line one with the tapered pillars.

Hmm, isn't this about the time where I come over and offer a coule of 'helpful suggestions' !!!!!

Did I tell you about the aqueduct I was looking at the other day? Lol !

• RMweb Gold

Question: Can anybody recommend a "beginners" guide to scratchbuilding buildings (book)?

Jeff,

Not a book, but I can thoroughly recommend the RIght Track 7 DVD, Building Buildings with Geoff Taylor.

He's the guy that did a lot of the buildings on The Gresley Beat and Dewsbury Midland.

I find that being able to see someone demonstrating techniques on the screen helps that bit more than just reading about it.

Cheers.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, you're making great progress with the viaducts, I really like the main line one with the tapered pillars.

Hmm, isn't this about the time where I come over and offer a coule of 'helpful suggestions' !!!!!

Did I tell you about the aqueduct I was looking at the other day? Lol !

Hmm... now where can I fit an aqueduct. Open plan baseboard, it could be at a lower level, maybe with canal boats on it... umm. Lol!

I will need your expertise with the track positioning - and, no doubt, lots of other things. Have we ever found a time when myriads of ideas didn't come up!!

How about one evening next week?

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jonathan. A lot of useful ideas there and I will certainly be trying out different ways of doing things to see which I prefer. I haven't been to Ormesby Hall for over ten years. Were you involved in the project featured in Hornby Mag about 5 years ago?

Have fun in Nottingham. Meetings - yuk, I hate them!

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff, I left Teesside in 1999 so while my handiwork was featured, I was not, at the time, part of the group. The actual buildings had long gone so I had to build them from photos and guesswork. I still have some off-cuts from the architectual papers. The ink used stood proud of the paper and although was self-adhesive, could be repositioned prior to being firmed down. I think they came from Australia, but importation stopped when Exactoscale changed hands a few years ago now, pity it was a good product.

Meetings are a drag but I am not often called to them very often and at least I get a train ride. We have BIG changes afoot in our agency so at least it will be in my interests to go. Plenty of breeze about today, it should get rid of those fumes. Jonathan.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, all coming along very nicely and at such a rate of progression.

For the buildings, I'd suggest having a go with mounting board and see how you get on; I find it a very nice medium to work with as a base structure, it's cheap, easy to measure up and cut, the structure can be glued together with PVA, and I've had no problems attaching plastikard to it with basic UHU (maybe the odd drop of Superglue at the edges....).

If you can find someone who has the Skaledale S&C buildings (station, goods shed, etc) then it'd be worth getting them to measure them up and send them over (measurements); I believe that both were a very good representation although the goods shed was a tad short (missing a bay?) but that is something you could take into consideration when building it yourself. The only taxing part would be the windows which are quite intricate and would take some fancy glueing / cutting / swearing to get right if using the Microstrip method.

If there is any advice you need that I can offer, please let me know and I'll be happy to assist

• Like 1

I wonder how many railway modellers are actually all-rounders? Personally I try to minimise the number of 'unenjoyables' and this includes wiring and making structures, scenery, backscenes and wagon kits. You have a heck of a lot still do do before train running begins, so while I admire your decision to make buildings, I just hope your interest in Kirkby Luneside can be sustained. I mean if you end up making a station building that is identical to the Skaledale Dent, then you might as well save a fortnight's effort and adapt the Hornby product to suit your requirements.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how many railway modellers are actually all-rounders? Personally I try to minimise the number of 'unenjoyables' and this includes wiring and making structures, scenery, backscenes and wagon kits. You have a heck of a lot still do do before train running begins, so while I admire your decision to make buildings, I just hope your interest in Kirkby Luneside can be sustained. I mean if you end up making a station building that is identical to the Skaledale Dent, then you might as well save a fortnight's effort and adapt the Hornby product to suit your requirements.

You are absolutely right, Larry. I'm better at some things than others - I'd never consider building a loco or wagon from a kit, it just doesn't interest me at all. But the scratchbuilding of large-scale strucures is something I really enjoy. And, if you have a look at Jason (Sandside)'s "Bacup" layout - he that posteth prior to you - you will see what can be achieved. I am happy to have a go - maybe you are right (what you say is logical) about the station. Maybe I should concentrate on a background house or two, and a derelict hillside sheep-shelter.

I've never been in a position where I don't have to worry about going to work at some stage or other. I have to admit that I got really bored building my last layout - but that wasn't thought through like this one and had loads of design faults. So I'll just see how it goes. My schedule, once the viaducts are done, is to sort out track positions, fit the backscene, lift the boards onto risers and fix the track down. then the scenery. All by the end of the week, of course!! :O

Keep giving me a reality check. Much appreciated!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Jason. If you read the post after yours, Larry has made a valid point. Something you touched upon - maybe I ought to build the goods shed, based on prototype, and buy the Dent model. I'm NOT trying to make KL a clone of Kirkby Stephen, or anywhere else (Ian Macdonald, "macgeordie" has already done that so well!!). So I've got freedom to do as I please.

You are the second person this morning to suggest mounting board - I'm guessing that's thick card?

Any further scratchwork will be done over the winter. I'll publish my results - or if they're crap(!!), I'll PM you and you can have a laugh!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Trouble is Larry, buying-in stuff costs. I know Jeff has his lump sum to splash around, but it won't last for ever. I would hate to think how much somebody would charge to wire up a layout unless you had a good friend who would do it for return in kind. However, I do agree that re-inventing the wheel can be a waste of time and you are The Master of adaptation. Most of us are not all-rounders but there is a great deal of satisfaction to be had when amiring one's own handiwork. I must get off this forum, it's a good job my boss is in East Anglia and rarely gets up to this part of the world, besides I have a train to catch soon. Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

You are the second person this morning to suggest mounting board - I'm guessing that's thick card?

Jeff

As I said Jeff, a visit to Teesside Park will get you all the mounting board and card you need. The stuff that's 1mm and 2mm is what I buy, A1 size. They also have foamboard too which they sometimes have on offer. They even have some rtr stuff and scenic stuff too but expect it's top dollar. I must go.... Jonathan

Hmm... now where can I fit an aqueduct. Open plan baseboard, it could be at a lower level, maybe with canal boats on it... umm. Lol!

I will need your expertise with the track positioning - and, no doubt, lots of other things. Have we ever found a time when myriads of ideas didn't come up!!

How about one evening next week?

Jeff

Next week sounds good, currently I'm up to my ear 'oles in control panels for heartburn junction and when not busy with that I'm working on a model aircraft I've got on another forum!

When it comes to the wiring up I'm quite happy to wield a soldering iron and assist.

Al

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Al. I've just finished cutting out, attaching and rubbing down the last of the arch rings on the main viaduct. It's looking fairly complete now. Hopefully the fun bit - painting it - will start soon.

Any assistance you wish to provide with the track will be gratefully received. We can discuss the matter next week.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

All the arch rings and plastikard are now fitted to both the viaducts. I will have to let the bunker aerate for an hour or so. The combination of Evostik fumes, combined with the stench of styrene filler - I've started "touching up" the viaduct (!!), seems like an unhealthy thing to inhale.

Hey, hey - then it's time to cut some wood (power tools here we come) and start fixing the backscene boards in place.

Apologies if I seem excitable - must be the effect of all that solvent! :scratchhead:

Jeff

• Like 1