Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Nah, don't give up! If you have a good idea, see it through - especially as you have the expertise to do a bl***y good job of it.

Quite funny this - I'm like a pendulum - swinging between KL and Loch Leven. Come on mate - you're nearly at 1,000 posts!!

Btw, my schedule for the next 2-3 weeks is viaduct work, backscene boards then maybe build some risers. All essential, but can't wait to get some track down. Oh - and more fishing!

Keep inspiring me with your weathered locos!

Jeff

I am the same :no: fell more like I am watching tennis than on a rm web site bouncing about like a yo yo :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Early morning start - too warm to sleep and too much to do. I've used some fine sandpaper to rub the hardened filler down, so the main piers are ready for painting. however, as you'll all have spotted from the last photo, the arch rings need to be marked and cut. Must admit, I've never done a particularly good job with this on previous occasions. Will post (exciting) pics as it progresses.

Time for coffee and a bit of reading now. And I see the weather is expected to revert to type next week. Good - no excuse not to do a bit more modelling!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hi Jeff, just spent an enjoyable half an hour following from your progress right from page 1. Somehow I've missed this thread, so must congratulate you on the standard of your woodwork and the stellar progress you are making. Those 4 x 2 frames will still be standing if the house fell down...

Thanks for a really great thread. It may be just what I need to get off my backside and start work on my own piece of ECML.

:offtopic: Apologies for wandering off topic a wee bit, but I seem to remember GORDON S make a very good job of weathering the Slaters 7mm Dressed Stone for some high retaining walls? Any chance of a picture Gordon as it might help both myself and Physicsman. Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, just spent an enjoyable half an hour following from your progress right from page 1. Somehow I've missed this thread, so must congratulate you on the standard of your woodwork and the stellar progress you are making. Those 4 x 2 frames will still be standing if the house fell down...

Thanks for a really great thread. It may be just what I need to get off my backside and start work on my own piece of ECML.

Thanks Gordon. I think I'm starting to slow down a bit now - but still enjoying it!

Eastwood Town is a fantastic layout and I've noticed you keep saying that you are "flagging" a bit, of late. After all the work you've put into it, I'm not surprised. An amazing amount of scratchbuilding!

Just having a late breakfast then it's off to draw out and scribe the arch rings.

Best wishes,

Jeff

PS. The 4x2 frames are a bit of a joke amongst my neighbours. They, too, think that after the tornado strikes, my "bunker" will still be standing!!

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

:offtopic: Apologies for wandering off topic a wee bit, but I seem to remember GORDON S make a very good job of weathering the Slaters 7mm Dressed Stone for some high retaining walls? Any chance of a picture Gordon as it might help both myself and Physicsman.

You're not off topic at all, Larry. This is an open thread as far as I'm concerned and I want people to chip in with anything that might help anybody else. Something that may seem peripheral today could be very useful at a later stage.

Cheers,

Jeff

I'm very flattered by your comments Larry and Jeff. :drink_mini:

The walls on Eastwood came after a visit to Tetley Mills and talking to Dave Shakespeare who showed me how he made them. You're right, it is Slaters 7mm dressed stone at the lower level and Cotswold Stone above. I paint the bare walls with grey emulsion and once dry, use a dry brushing technique for the dark grey, brushing across at a diagonal. There are some more pics in my ET thread, post 44 is a good starting point although there a few more nearer the front.

post-6950-0-20419900-1344676783_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-59439900-1344677085_thumb.jpg

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Excellent stuff, lads! I may try that technique, Gordon, as a variation on my darker, black and brown "smear".

I vaguely remember seeing those pics before, so it's good to have the link to hand!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Now then... I've just marked and cut-out my first arch-ring. "High-tech" equipment was needed: 40 thou plastikard, a compass, ruler and a small screwdriver to scribe the "joints". Arc was marked-out and scribed, then cut out (slightly oversize - will rub it down later) then tested for fit in the place allocated to it (see pics). Only 5 more to do. Tedious, but worth it.

The top block (keystone) is slightly larger and I'll add an additional piece of card on top of it to accentuate it from its neighbours.

Jeff

PS. The photos aren't great - using flash on shiny plastic isn't a good idea!

post-13778-0-67408000-1344680234_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-58286400-1344680258_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-96533500-1344680275_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having watched Mo Farah do us all proud, I've managed an hour's worth of Evo-Stik fumes! Quite a bit of cladding has gone onto the inside of the piers of the Main Viaduct. The Branch Viaduct has arch rings and plastikard arch liners on 2 of the arches, so maybe get the cladding on that one completed tomorrow. More pics when that's been done.

Feel quite high with the fumes. And I notice Mr Bolt and his mates have just broken the world record. All that solvent and I'll be floating 9.5s for the 100m!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update: This is the current state of the Mainline viaduct. Cutting my way through 25 sheets of dressed stone plastikard, plain Slaters and styrene strip is getting VERY tedious.

Nevermind - 6 weeks ago I wasn't going to build a viaduct (much more fun than buying one, eh?) - umm, certain people suggested it... :no: :mail:

Jeff

post-13778-0-04003800-1344780235_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking fantastic Jeff!

I can imagine how tedious it must be, but the results speak for themselves.

I bet you're glad you decided to scratchbuild it, and make it curved as well.

Jam

Hey, hey - hi Jam, great to hear from you. I've had the occasional glance at your thread to see if you were back to full Steam (sorry about the pun!!).

Yes, I am very, very glad I've scratchbuilt the viaducts. FAR better than buying something and specifically designed for task. Great fun and incredibly satisfying. I never thought I could do this, but if you don't try, you never learn!

I remember discussing scratchbuilding with you a few months ago - you encouraged me to have a go. Along with Sandside (Jason) and 60091 (Alan) you have certainly convinced me. I suspect I'll scratchbuild the station - if it looks crap I can always buy something in!

And yes, CURVED was the way to go!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

You must be very proud of that viaduct Jeff, It is a credit to you, your pactients, and your scratch building skills. I have been re reading and looking at your pics and also those of Gordon S and his Eastwood Town, I have this and Tetley Mills cut from mags and saved as reference points ready for the day when I can build a propper Model Railway. Keep these threads coming, they as so insperational. All the best Andy.

• RMweb Premium

You must be very proud of that viaduct Jeff, It is a credit to you, your pactients, and your scratch building skills. I have been re reading and looking at your pics and also those of Gordon S and his Eastwood Town, I have this and Tetley Mills cut from mags and saved as reference points ready for the day when I can build a propper Model Railway. Keep these threads coming, they as so insperational. All the best Andy.

Andy, coming from you, the guy that builds superbly detailed layouts with wonderful weathered locos, that is praise indeed. Inspiration works both ways, so thanks very much - you are one of the people who has urged me on over the last few months.

I think there will be plenty more sharing of ideas in the future... you've got me interested in weathering, for example. Any advice I can offer, from my limited experience, is always available!

And yes, I'm very pleased with the viaducts - and a bit surprised they've worked out so well - SO FAR...

Cheers Andy,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

For the afficianados who enjoy seeing every jot of "progress", here's the Mainline viaduct after another 3 hours work in the Evostik fume cupboard...

Arch rings need to be made (both sides) and the plastic rubbed down/filled.

Jeff

post-13778-0-47248000-1344860322_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-67795100-1344860385_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

For comparison, the front sides (as seen in the final layout) of Main and Branch viaducts. I'll be back to the Branch shortly as I need to finish its backside (ouch!!). Then ditto the Main.

Again, filler etc will still be needed...

Jeff

post-13778-0-36064100-1344860618_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, I do like the look of those tapered piers. It makes the main line viaduct very graceful. Was there any reason you chose a different design for the branch viaduct? The contrast between the two is very striking. Perhaps they were “built” at different times? It's another warm and humid day here in TS17, I don't envy you with another day with the Evostik. Jonathan

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I do like the look of those tapered piers. It makes the main line viaduct very graceful. Was there any reason you chose a different design for the branch viaduct? The contrast between the two is very striking. Perhaps they were “built” at different times? It's another warm and humid day here in TS17, I don't envy you with another day with the Evostik. Jonathan

Hi Jonathan. I've been "at the Evostik" already this morning - I'm getting up before 5am these days, so already done a bit of work.

The Main viaduct was started on July 4th, following suggestions from others on this thread. I opted for Ribblehead as a protoptype - in general - hence the tapered piers. The Branch was started about 3 weeks later. I wanted a contrast to the main viaduct, so I looked at the S&C viaducts and spotted Lunds. This has square piers. So it was simply having 2 different shapes for contrast that made me "do it".

Best wishes. Do they have aircon where you work?

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some beautiful work there Jeff. Not one, but two stunning curved viaducts. You really are an artist with ply and Slaters card. Keep going as you probably have no idea how inspirational your thread has become....

Many thanks Gordon. I'm surprising myself as I work through the project. I'm learning tricks all the time. I've now decided to scratchbuild all the buildings on this layout - something I've never done (at all) before. It should prove interesting, but the challenge is one of the main reasons why I enjoy layout building.

And you are right...I'm just plodding along and if anyone finds what I'm doing useful, I'm pleased. I tried to inspire students during my 30 years of Physics teaching - maybe a few "got the bug"!!

Best wishes,

Jeff