Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

That's nice, Jonathan. Is the plastikard overlayed onto a card skeleton? Forgive my ignorance - give me a viaduct etc and I'm ok - as I can use a wood base. I'm determined to learn about this, though!

Jeff

Jeff, it's all plasticard. 40 thou if memory serves me correctly. Being only a small building, about 6" long in old money, with internal walls in the right places and 90 deg corner strengtheners, there was no need to laminate the walls. The brick plinth and chimney are covered with Exactoscale architectural paper left overs which needs weathering. The panels are microstrip. You cannot tell because the flash has flattened things out but the walls are scribed to represent wood planks. The roof is Slaters 4mm scale wood planking to represent zinc sheet. All the windows and doors were scratch built. Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jonathan. Thanks for the details. Being pig-ignorant on such matters, all information is useful at the moment!

I've just ordered a couple of relevant books: one on scratchbuilding, the other on structures and stations on the S&C. So there will be plenty of projects to go at - though I don't anticipate I'll produce anything half-decent for a while.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Off to visit the NRM today, so we'll see what "pearls of inspiration" I come up with.

Makes a change from viaducts. I've been dreaming of tubes of filler and straight roads turning into curves!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Off to visit the NRM today, so we'll see what "pearls of inspiration" I come up with.

Makes a change from viaducts. I've been dreaming of tubes of filler and straight roads turning into curves!

Jeff

Hope you don't get too carried away in the book shop. I usually come away with Keith Turton's latest PO wagon book. One day I may get round to building some wagons from the series but Bachmann usually beat me to it.

• RMweb Premium

Hope you don't get too carried away in the book shop. I usually come away with Keith Turton's latest PO wagon book. One day I may get round to building some wagons from the series but Bachmann usually beat me to it.

Yes, I'm a bit worried about that, too. I'm an avid book collector and that little voice whispers strongly in my ear, "Go on, buy it!!" I'll just have to think "No, every book is a turnout for the layout" and that will stop me in my tracks (pun intended!).

At least the NRM doesn't smell of styrene filler!

Cheers Jonathan,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

York trip rescheduled for today after being stuck on the A19 for over an hour due to a lorry fire!

Modelling may be curtailed slightly after a minor accident - complacency being the cause. Stanley knives and steel rulers, cutting plastikard...how many times do you do this safely? A few million red blood cells on the workbench is testimony to self-performed thumb surgery, last night. Ouch!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, It's the first day of the Ebor race meeting today, the passion plays are are on too. Not a good time to be visiting York by car or are you taking the train? Good luck anyway.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, It's the first day of the Ebor race meeting today, the passion plays are are on too. Not a good time to be visiting York by car or are you taking the train? Good luck anyway.

Back from york. No probs Jonathan - I had a good chauffeur, the sat-nav was faultless and the traffic light. Even managed to avoid spending much money!! Good to see D6700, D200 and Evening Star, though! Very enjoyable!

Back to the grind - rubbing down (the filler!!). :O

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, It's 7.54 and no posts yet. Are you having a late start,cos I am off to lovely Gateshead today? Work. But I do get to go by train.

Morning! I've been up since the usual time and added a few minor details to the Branch viaduct. I have posted in the Layouts section, but I didn't want to bore people here, as nothing major is going on. And I'm off to my dad's shortly for a bit more fishing....

Enjoy Gateshead. Any model shops there?

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, Nothing in Gateshead. There's Model Zone in the Toon but it's not what I call a real model railway shop although they do have some nice Bachy limited edition stuff from time to time. There's a real shop and a model shop in North Shields but they are a bit far out when I am on a work's visit.

Couldn't find an update on the layout section??

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, Nothing in Gateshead. There's Model Zone in the Toon but it's not what I call a real model railway shop although they do have some nice Bachy limited edition stuff from time to time. There's a real shop and a model shop in North Shields but they are a bit far out when I am on a work's visit.

Couldn't find an update on the layout section??

Sorry, my comment was a bit confusing. I've put a couple of posts into the general layout section regarding other people's layouts. If you like really classy photos, have a look at Westerner's "Wencombe" layout. His pics are superb - especially the black and white ones.

I've done nothing since 6am, so nothing to add. I'm really hoping to get these viaducts "painted" by early next week. All that remains before I can do that is to cut and fit the keystones and fit the copings.

If my previous plastikard painting technique is still effective I reckon it will take a couple of days to get the viaducts finished.

I've got all the basic track I need - so the detailed positioning of the track is an upcoming project, followed by positioning and then fixing of the viaducts on the subframe. Then the fun really starts!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I've been reading through the book "Stations and Structures of the S&C". Magnificent - not only does it have plenty of photos of the buidings (some no longer standing), but full track plans and signal types/positions. The latter information will come in very handy.

Many thanks to those who recommended I get a copy. And yes, it's used, but in mint condition.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I still keep looking but I cant see any grass yet, ha ha ha ha ha

Andy - I've finished the layout - you missed it!!! I've started a new one, and I'm moving to Derbyshire to plague you! Lol!!! :scratchhead:

I think the viaducts will be painted - therefore finished (it's only taken me 8 weeks!!) by early next week. Then I can play with TRACK!!!!! Shock horror!

All the best,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Damm, and I have been looking most days, :O CAN YOU BUILD ME ONE THAT QUICK PLEASE? :nono:

I must admit, I'm not in your league when it comes to speed! Maybe some track will start to appear shortly...don't know about grass though!!

I've replied to your PM. Thank you for your amazing offer!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've started painting the Mainline viaduct. The size of the thing is shown by how far my bottle of Tamiya paint went...not very!!

Base coat of black rubbed onto piers, then covered (and rubbed in) with Tamiya dark grey (XF-24). When the piers are all done I'll paint a very thin wash of white acrylic over the whole lot.

However, it's down to the art shop for (a lot) more paints tomorrow - knowing my luck they'll be out of stock!!

2 photos to give the idea...

Jeff

post-13778-0-54448900-1345923940_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-72115200-1345923960_thumb.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 6

Looking well steam era blackened.........The acrylics are good for this kind of job. When I found there was no acrylic white in stock I thought I'd use matt emulsion paint for 'pointing' an odd patch of stonework. BEWARE! It looked neat for all of five minutes before its slow drying properties allowed it to creep by capilary action over the face of the stonework as well. :shout:

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

The viaduct looks darker on the photos than it really is, though I did want a grotty, dark appearance, representing - as you say - years of steam-era neglect. The thin acrylic white-wash also ends up on the stonework, but lightens the appearance slightly. I've not tried using emusion!

I'm off to see if I can get some more paint - then further progress can be made.

Jeff

When needing paint for ET stonework, I found the colours I wanted in Humbol, painted it onto a spare piece of ply and took it down to my local paint shop who used their computer machine to scan and analyse the two colours I needed. Five minutes later I came out with litre tins of emulsion which were a good match to the originals. Far, far cheaper than using the small tins/bottles on a large job such as this.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Gordon.

I've actually decided the paint was a bit too dark, so I'm in the process of lightening it up. Hope to get the job finished by this evening - the stone effect parts - and will post some more photos. I'll be very interested in what you guys have to say!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've actually applied a very thin white wash on top of the black/dark grey grot. The white goes into the pointing and the rest mixes with the darker colour to produce a lighter grey. I'm not sure whether I like it or not. I'll go and take a photo now, post it and you can give me your opinions!

Jeff