Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

snip *Then sit back with a cup of coffee and admire some loco running*.

No matter what problems arise they will be overcome and then you can sit back and savour the moment, I know I will if/when I get that far, trouble is I will need to remind myself to do it again at regular intervals or else I'll just unplug things and get on with scenery.  :O

Jim

• RMweb Premium

snip *Then sit back with a cup of coffee and admire some loco running*.

No matter what problems arise they will be overcome and then you can sit back and savour the moment, I know I will if/when I get that far, trouble is I will need to remind myself to do it again at regular intervals or else I'll just unplug things and get on with scenery:O

Jim

It's funny you say that because that's how I felt about 2 weeks ago. I LOVE building scenery and the thought of all that bus-soldering was a real turn-off. Then I went into the bunker and thought "it doesn't matter how much track-laying/point motor fitting/Lune Fell building etc you've done, if you don't connect to the bus then nothing's going to move!!"

Jason and others made sure I understood that, too.

Once started it was a bit of a runaway avalanche, and now I want the whole lot wired up - especially as it's working!

Btw, I'll try and get those CDs copied tomorrow!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

11' x 10' eh?

Mmmm........

Evening Peter....

Now don't YOU start!

Have you ANY idea how much restraint it's taking me to avoid planning an 11' x 2' shelf layout NOW? 

After KL .... AFTER KL ..... AFTER KL!!!!!

Jeff

• Like 2

I'm sorry, I've been busy outside ripping off some bits of deck.  (& burning them).  It's been on my to-do list for about 3 years...just took getting around to doing it as I wanted a reasonable dry day to do it, and I needed to think up a plan as the whole lot is overhead, and cutting the last support beam while you stand on it is...spectacular, but not good !

The last couple days @ work have been busy too, we did another DC Organization Team Training for HMCS Calgary. (with only 3 of us for flood, down from 6 the last time)

James

• RMweb Premium

You certainly produce some inventive posts Andy!!

For the moment the room will become what its name suggests: a bedroom. how long it will stay like that - as I'm sure temptation will rear its head - remains to be seen!

As for your planned new layout. I'd stick to OO or O as you already have all the rolling stock. N will gain you more landscape, but you'll have to start collecting again - or have you already started?

Just an old photo (13th January!) to "tickle your fancy".... There are quite a few other turnouts to connect, but this little stretch is all that lies between me and "roundy roundy"!!

post-13778-0-65035900-1361658420_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So I'm guessing the bunker is warming up, along with the soldiering iron?

I've reached a point of impass, I'm not sure wether to chop my chassis block up hoping that I can drill where I want to (it's b***dy close to an existing hole). I've also got to work out how to wrap my boiler, but I've not bought any masking tape to work, so I don't think I'll be able to do it!

Having a cuppa to think.....

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Just stumbled on this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66383-modelling-a-traditional-parcels-train/&do=findComment&comment=899525 all about parcels trains. I didn't know that the Red Bank-Glasgow trains when via S&C, but it looks like you'll have to get a lot of BG's and GUV's !

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I like your wiring Jeff. People think it should all be clipped together in neat runs. Then when you get a problem you cannot follow the wire. Labels are definitely the best answer. Lay connect and test as you go works well you can be following the track with a test loco.

Thinking about the next layout is bad news when you are building a big one like this. Hold the faith once you get things running it will feel different.

Don

• RMweb Premium

The best way to label you wiring is with round rubber number collets like these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000-x-EC-0-Yellow-PVC-Arabic-Number-6-1-5-3-0sq-mm-Wire-Cable-Markers-/290828121795?pt=UK_Computing_Cable_Ties_Organisers&hash=item43b6b4f6c3

And then you can either make a chart with what each wire does, or just put the same numbers either end of the same wire. (I used to make industrial control enclosures and did both. The chart in this case was the wiring diagram). Any self-adhesive label will enentually fall off...

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

I like your wiring Jeff. People think it should all be clipped together in neat runs. Then when you get a problem you cannot follow the wire. Labels are definitely the best answer. Lay connect and test as you go works well you can be following the track with a test loco.

Thinking about the next layout is bad news when you are building a big one like this. Hold the faith once you get things running it will feel different.

Don

Hi Don.

The neat runs of wiring have always puzzled me. Yes, it does look very neat. Until, as you say, you have a problem!!

For main bus and point wiring I want everything in the open - as neat as I can make it. Something will invariably need changing, so this makes it relativeley easy to test and replace. I had a  "problem" yesterday with one of the turnouts during a polarity check. The frog appeared not to be connected up - but there was clear continuity when checked. It turned out that the Cobalt was still set in its centre position (to help fit the actuator wire through the middle of the tie-bar). So the frog was being switched neither plus or minus. It helped to have ease of access (and a bit of clear thinking - I WAS puzzled at first) to sort it.

I also specifically created a "wiring zone" - the boards are 30cm above the subframe. This gives 30cm clearance so point motors etc don't bump into joists and keeps the wiring away when you're crawling underneath.

As for a second layout. Well, it's just an idea. You are right - I'm fully concentrating on KL at the mo....I have no choice with the slave-drivers on here!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The best way to label you wiring is with round rubber number collets like these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000-x-EC-0-Yellow-PVC-Arabic-Number-6-1-5-3-0sq-mm-Wire-Cable-Markers-/290828121795?pt=UK_Computing_Cable_Ties_Organisers&hash=item43b6b4f6c3

And then you can either make a chart with what each wire does, or just put the same numbers either end of the same wire. (I used to make industrial control enclosures and did both. The chart in this case was the wiring diagram). Any self-adhesive label will enentually fall off...

Andy G

Hi Andy,

I'm quite happy with the tape I'm using - the labels I put on the old layout (going in the skip this week) are still there from 2005 and I can replace any if need be.

Actually, the labels aren't really needed. The wire function is clear from its colour and all the wires are marked on the board next to them. I could manage without any tape labels, but it saves me a few seconds and I don't have to think!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just stumbled on this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66383-modelling-a-traditional-parcels-train/&do=findComment&comment=899525 all about parcels trains. I didn't know that the Red Bank-Glasgow trains when via S&C, but it looks like you'll have to get a lot of BG's and GUV's !

Andy G

This is interesting. I'll have a good look and it can be added to the list of potential operations! oh dear .... more vans!

Jeff

I don't generally label wire, but for the most part I am under 6' of cable run on each board.  The inter-board connections are labeled, mostly by using a colour code system (Black/Yellow are DCC, green is ground, then purple & brown are 16v AC....)  Device wiring (like from frogs) is mostly black 22ga wire, as are droppers.  The key with those is to keep the runs as short as possible, because of the high relative resistance.

It can end up looking like:

8504037884_267da823bc.jpg
dsc_0140

8502930989_bd4919be2a.jpg
DSC_0022 by Peach James, on Flickr

This photo is on a 30x45" section, with 11 turnouts, 19 block detection sections, 1 emergency stop, and a 110v light.  Yes, there is a lot more than 2 wires on that board !

James

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You certainly produce some inventive posts Andy!!

N will gain you more landscape, but you'll have to start collecting again - or have you already started?

Jeff

N gauge?  Rolling stock?

Me          :rofl:

AndyP      :rofl:

GeorgeT  :rofl:

Andy G

4555 @ Snow hill #7 

4555 @ Trebudog #1029Parcels for T as well, Andy?

Sou' wester

Andy G

Hi Jeff & Andy G

Catching up with the Lunester Lord and seeing the wiring photos made me think about my forthcoming nightmare on Dent. Having always trusted my 'own' method for wiring which is basically taking a section, usually a single baseboard and working from top left just numbering from left to right and following the connections down in chronological order into a 'D-sub' connector. I can usually visualise where I would/should have connections and find the offending wire with ease. Point motors cause a little more concern though.

Anyway I am glad Andy G gave a link to those numbered colletts, I have now ordered 0-9 from a firm in Hong Kong for under £6.00 -BARGAIN! cheers Andy.

Here's a photo from my Bermuda Road MPD layout conrol panel to show my system.

post-5296-0-83429800-1361724631_thumb.jpg

I think now is the time to get more organised so will be numbering in future.

Keep up the good work Jeff.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Mike,

I've just come in from the bunker. The thermometer tells me it's 13C in there. My body tells me it feels bl**dy cold!

Managed to connect/test 5 more Cobalts and 12 pairs of droppers this afternoon. Only about 20ish pairs of droppers and 13 Cobalts left now. 

I avoided the temptation to go straight down the mainline to allow roundy-roundy running. Just moved along to the next section - quite proud of my restraint!

As long as YOU have a system that works for YOU, that's fine.

Time for some food (and coffee, of course!).

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Jeff, Hi mate, you just stick to KL :O  and don't let the wise old people of Lunsters distract you :no:  one day when you get OLD AND GREYER you will be hapy for and indoor room and when you cant see OO without glasses you can go into Garden Railways :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: HAHAHAhahahaheeeee

Bodgit

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, Hi mate, you just stick to KL :O  and don't let the wise old people of Lunsters distract you :no:  one day when you get OLD AND GREYER you will be hapy for and indoor room and when you cant see OO without glasses you can go into Garden Railways :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: HAHAHAhahahaheeeee

Bodgit

Hi Andy/Bodgit.....

KL is quite enough for me at the moment, I assure you!

Trying not to think TOO much ahead - or I'll get scared an give up!  :O

Jeff