Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Another way to look at it is that the Lounge has been open for less than two months and is 70 posts shy of Bacup, which has been going for well over a year.

• RMweb Premium

Are you kidding? It will surely soon be time to paint the sleepers and rails (and there is no way we will let you simply spray the lot with Railmatch Sleeper Grime), ballasting (method of glueing and which to use) will take up a few pages, overlay the snowy mountains with grass, etc., will rattle on for pages on end and who knows, you may get to the point of scratchbuilding the station building, goods shed, iconic water tank, Signalbox, etc., within the next year. You've only just begun and we are all strapped in for the full journey.

Jeff

I've got to agree with Jason about KL only just starting. There is so much to do yet that will take up thousands of posts.

Duncan

I was afraid you'd say that. Oh hell, what have I let myself in for here!!  :O

FUN!!    :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester: 

Thanks for the lamps answer chaps, I know stationmaster said it was missing a lamp at the back, but it could have had another one where it wasn't needed.

5000 posts in a year ain't bad, I recon we'l probably hit 25000 before you're finished !

Al

Thanks for the lamps answer chaps, I know stationmaster said it was missing a lamp at the back, but it could have had another one where it wasn't needed.

5000 posts in a year ain't bad, I recon we'l probably hit 25000 before you're finished !

Al

No problems Al. I quite enjoyed researching after I posted my answer for confirmation. It's something that isn't as well documented as loco lamp codes.

As far as 2500 posts goes, I think you may be underestimating.

Duncan

Hi Jeff,

Been quiet for a while due to usual work comittments but looked in just to say congratulations on reaching 5K!

The valley is looking great too!

I don't think you will have a problem reaching 10K either. Cracking thread with a great mix of talented input, long may it continue.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Been quiet for a while due to usual work comittments but looked in just to say congratulations on reaching 5K!

The valley is looking great too!

I don't think you will have a problem reaching 10K either. Cracking thread with a great mix of talented input, long may it continue.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks very much Mike.

I've just been looking at a load of viaduct photos to try to gauge how I'm going to build in the embankments - short and sweet though they are - into the valley side. I think I might have a go at this tomorrow and see how it looks.

The thread is made by the core of very talented modellers (myself excluded) who have contributed an enormous amount in the way of ideas/constructive criticism/anecdotes/S&C-related material. I dread to think what the project would be like without all of this - a disaster, I should imagine.

I hope you get some time away from work to continue with Dent. I'll still be on Lune Fell when you've finished!!

Jeff

Thanks very much Mike.

I've just been looking at a load of viaduct photos to try to gauge how I'm going to build in the embankments - short and sweet though they are - into the valley side. I think I might have a go at this tomorrow and see how it looks.

The thread is made by the core of very talented modellers (myself excluded) who have contributed an enormous amount in the way of ideas/constructive criticism/anecdotes/S&C-related material. I dread to think what the project would be like without all of this - a disaster, I should imagine.

I hope you get some time away from work to continue with Dent. I'll still be on Lune Fell when you've finished!!

Jeff

Jeff

Looking forward to seeing the embankments and how they fit in.

I sincerely hope I'm not included in this :scared:  :butcher:

Duncan

Hi Jeff, WELL 5000 POSTS, that is just brilliant mate and well deserved,

BUT as Jason quite rightly says there is loads to discuss over the coming decades, this is only the tip os the iceberg, wait till you get to the same stage as Jason and we are discussing your

chimney pots,

track side flowers

The type of shovel the workman is holding,

the size of the ladys knickers on the washing line

the style of door knobs

the shape of the bicycle saddel

or the colour of the butchers apron.

AND SO THE LIST GOES ON :O :o :O :no:

I could be here all night and still there would be more from people like Duncan, Jason, the two Billy's Ray and Polly and Al and Al and hundreds more. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Need to sleep now,

Baron Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Looking forward to seeing the embankments and how they fit in.

I sincerely hope I'm not included in this :scared:  :butcher:

Duncan

Well, I WAS generalising.... the level of talent IS very variable!  :O  :O

Only joking - all contributions gratefully received... :beee:

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Would a hedgerow or line of small trees help in the disguise the joint?

I did like the broken wall idea, and you could also have a deralict Barn to disguise it a bit as well.

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

This rather brings to mind a zen story of a master of caligraphy trying to complete a pice of work but the student kept asking questions how would he do this how would he do that? The master could not settle his mind. The student went to speak to someone at the door and quickly the master finished the work. Oh it is perfect said the student on his return.

This could be Jeff after us lot pulling him this way and that he will just go into the bunker and just do it his own way. We will all think it has been our bit of advice that has made the difference.

Mind you giving advice is a lot easier than taking it. Still it is all good fun.

Don

• RMweb Gold

I don't think you'd find a barn on that slope, would you?

Duncan

Maybe not a proper barn but one of those shepherds refuges with space for ewes to give birth. These were often in good vantage points.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Hedges a bit few and far between at S&C altitudes and trees even more so. A stone-built sheep shelter is a possibility and how about a butt for the grouse shooting season? There's no reason why you couldn't have a barn in valley bottom but it would have to be in a delapidated state because they hadn't started to convert them into holiday homes in the early 60s. Just had another thought - how about an abandoned lime kiln?

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, congratulations on your 5000 posts.  

Here's to the next 5000.

Coffees all round :drinks:

Polly

Coffee ? I think its bubbly and cake or beers. Quite an achievement

Don

• RMweb Premium

Happy birthday! :)

Hee Hee.... It DOES feel like a birthday....the thread's been through a lot over the last year.

Cheers Daniel.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

This rather brings to mind a zen story of a master of caligraphy trying to complete a pice of work but the student kept asking questions how would he do this how would he do that? The master could not settle his mind. The student went to speak to someone at the door and quickly the master finished the work. Oh it is perfect said the student on his return.

This could be Jeff after us lot pulling him this way and that he will just go into the bunker and just do it his own way. We will all think it has been our bit of advice that has made the difference.

Mind you giving advice is a lot easier than taking it. Still it is all good fun.

Don

Advice/ideas are always appreciated. There's no obligation to act upon them, but they sometimes suggest alternatives I hadn't even considered. They also promote discussion, which generates further ideas....

Yes, it's good fun. We are building a model, so it's not exactly a matter of life or death! Lol.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hedges a bit few and far between at S&C altitudes and trees even more so. A stone-built sheep shelter is a possibility and how about a butt for the grouse shooting season? There's no reason why you couldn't have a barn in valley bottom but it would have to be in a delapidated state because they hadn't started to convert them into holiday homes in the early 60s. Just had another thought - how about an abandoned lime kiln?

It's all a question of scale. I want to keep the valley floor as uncluttered and rural as possible.

Looking at the hundreds of images on Google (search Settle and Carlisle viaducts), there doesn't seem to be much apart from streams, walling, a few trees, grass, scrub and pathways. a small shelter - for sheep - on one side of the valley incline would be good.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Happy Birthday K.L. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Have a good day.

Bodgit :sungum:

I'll be putting the posting figures up for the first 5000 posts on KL when I've updated them. Maybe in half-an-hour. 

I think you may find yourself as Baron of all you survey!!

Heater is on in the bunker, but it's a bit cool out there!

Jeff