Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Just been looking at the Storth & Sandside group on Facebook (basically the village where I originally hail from) and spotted this photo on there of the underside of the bridge at Green Lane which by huge coincidence, shows what I was meaning about stone bridge with a brick arch lining. What are the chances of that happening? 

By the way, no problems with copyright as the photographer (an old neighbour) is fine with it being shared.

GreenLaneBridge_zps4b996f74.jpg

• Like 1

Jeff

As far as the weathering goes, although I use acrylics, if I don't dry brush, I thin them down so that there's only a hint of colour on the brush. This gives a slower drying time and plenty of time to remove the excess.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Jason, it also shows the "diagonal" effect that Andy was referring to in his earlier post (#6019).

Maybe your subconscious mind remembered the brick underlay and triggered your suggestion? Book an appointment to see a psychologist/psychiatrist and find out!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, will you do that Red Brick or Blue Brick? I think Red and Grime looks the Dogs .........

Bodgit

It'll be red and grime, Andy. Red brick always looks so attractive in any structure. I don't have any red paint in stock, so that's another item for the shopping list later in the week.

Jeff

It'll be red and grime, Andy. Red brick always looks so attractive in any structure. I don't have any red paint in stock, so that's another item for the shopping list later in the week.

Jeff

Jeff, try adding Orange in with it to keep away from a uniform colour, what I would do is 2 mixes of red and orange, one more red and one more orange, and then I would also have neat red and neat orange to add on the job over other colours, you will end up with a multitude of colours but basically it will be a red brick but not a FLAT COLOUR. when you THINK IT IS FINISHED, add some small lime stains running out of the side bricks.

Bodgit the Brush. :sungum:  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Managed to get a bit of time to "finish" off the main line bridge - for now, anyway. I'm going to start building the branch bridge tomorrow, do some clean-up jobs in the bunker and try and get away from the same routine that's occupied me for the last week.

Here are the pics I promised. I decided to do the copings in 2mm ply, rather than 80thou plastikard. They are a bit irregular - but that's weathering for you!!

post-13778-0-16025900-1366651864_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-21868000-1366651870_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-68463900-1366651876_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-51418900-1366651885_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Oh, forgot to mention....

The photos show an arch liner. This was a 5 minute job, cut from a Shreddies packet. It does fit quite well, so I ought to be able to get a liner in reasonably ok.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

There's another one on my flickr account:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47105471@N05/sets/72157632737028633/

HTH, copywrite is mine, so feel free to use it.

James

James - you are a star! Some lovely photos in there which I'll spend time studying in detail.

Many thanks!

Jeff

The photos show an arch liner. This was a 5 minute job, cut from a Shreddies packet. It does fit quite well, so I ought to be able to get a liner in reasonably ok.

Jeff

The Shreddies will give you the strength to see you through the day but will it hold a bridge up I ask?

At least now you have a template to work from if you can get it back out?

Nice job on the copping stones BTW and the colouring looks good but is it not better to do the two bridges as one with the colour mixed up?

Questions Question Questions, :O  now I want answers Mr G. :no:  hahhahahheheeeee

Bodge the Bridge, I would, ha ha ha :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

The Shreddies will give you the strength to see you through the day but will it hold a bridge up I ask?

At least now you have a template to work from if you can get it back out?

Nice job on the copping stones BTW and the colouring looks good but is it not better to do the two bridges as one with the colour mixed up?

Questions Question Questions, :O  now I want answers Mr G. :no:  hahhahahheheeeee

Bodge the Bridge, I would, ha ha ha :sungum:

Good questions....

Answers...

Yes, I'll make the branch bridge and paint them both at the same time. I fancy a day off bridge building, so I thought I might mould a few rocks - which can then be painted - for the main line cutting. Once dry they can be fitted in place.

The Shreddies card liner was a tight fit, but can easily be removed. Plastikard sheet is straighter and, in a way, more rigid and is easier to fit. If Jason sends the brick sheet up, I'll use that.

If I cast the rocks tomorrow I can have some painted to show by Thursday at the latest.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

All looking good.  I've (we've) just returned from a rather manic long weekend but have managed a a quick catch up on KL.

As regards acrylics, or any other paint, I guess, is to test the ones you have.

I used to use a well known Artist's brand and once paint was down and dried you could rely on it to stay there. Very handy when you want to paint over it.

A different set of acrylics were a 'cheap' brand and two things come to mind.  Based on previous experience of longevity, even outside, I decided to paint our house number on a new waste bin.  First lot of rain washed most of it off!

On another occasion, I wanted to repaint a plastic kit and the first layer (well and truly dry) mixed in with the next one - not what I wanted but useful when I needed to do some later blending.

So there you are - test before using, whether you're weathering or not.

Pollyklinik

Hi Jeff,

Civil engineering looking damn good! Most of the comments are justified and I would second Jason's skewing of the arch liner, most "but not all" arches were done this way to deflect the loadings on the surface being directed on a straight alignment if you get my drift. All my bridge structures are skew lined when I make them, as is my current project 'The Coal Road' bridge at Dent. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mike. Jason has very kindly offered to send me some spare English bond plastikard.... I've a feeling I might have a sheet hidden away somewhere.

Credit to Andy (uax6) for initially suggesting the skewing. Cheers Andy.

Jeff

Skewing brickwork, :O WHAT :no:  all sounds a bit to technical for a Bodger like me, :no: :no:

I off to find a site that talks my language, :boast:  :boast:  :boast:  find a bit of track and make it fit, if you cant find another bit. :locomotive:

Bodge to the highest degree :sungum: :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Skewing brickwork, :O WHAT :no:  all sounds a bit to technical for a Bodger like me, :no: :no:

I off to find a site that talks my language, :boast:  :boast:  :boast:  find a bit of track and make it fit, if you cant find another bit. :locomotive:

Bodge to the highest degree :sungum: :sungum:

Andy, this might help to explain the skewing (using Jason's posted pic)...

post-13778-0-80257300-1366668632_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Here I was thinking you'd got the plasterers in and had mopped up the last of your PoP by floating a nice render on the underside!

S.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I imagine that the are skewed for strength, so the bricks are under compression?

Got a few things to post today Jeff, your bricks being one of them

Looking good Jeff.

Just one suggestion if I may? The gap between the coping stones seems excessive. Water ingress and freeze-thaw action would soon make them loose and dangerous. I'd smooth-over the gaps with some quite thick Polyfilla to fill in the gaps and to act as pointing.

Anyway, off to work now.....

Edited by Western Sunset

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, putting the arch courses on an angle increases the compression on the bricks, and helps to prevent them from working loose, which, if you have ever noticed how much the ground shakes when a heavy trains go by, is quite important!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Jeff.

Just one suggestion if I may? The gap between the coping stones seems excessive. Water ingress and freeze-thaw action would soon make them loose and dangerous. I'd smooth-over the gaps with some quite thick Polyfilla to fill in the gaps and to act as pointing.

Anyway, off to work now.....

Good suggestion. The gaps tend to fill-in when paint is applied, but a little filler - if I have any (!!!!!!!!!) - can certainly be applied.

Jeff