Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Rob - thanks for the B1 pic. As for the Schools....nice loco ("Repton" resides on the North York Moors Railway) .... but give me a true grit S&C 8F or 9F anyday!!   :O  :O

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, some cracking photos of the brickwork and it really works, the only thing different between the bridge you have built and one that I might build is the lack of HOT GLUE GUN STRING, HAhahhaaaaa

Bodgit

No HOT glue string, Andy. But plenty of evostik string, that can sometimes be awkward and get in the way.

I'll start building the branch bridge tomorrow.

Jeff

Rob - thanks for the B1 pic. As for the Schools....nice loco ("Repton" resides on the North York Moors Railway) .... but give me a true grit S&C 8F or 9F anyday!!  

Jeff

Repton?   "nice" ?   Good grief man, steam engines aren't nice!  They are usually grubby noisy and horrid.  Even a 'Schools'...

What I like about British steam is that the designers nearly always got at least one major element of design quite wrong. Draughty cabs, hopeless draughting and/or smokebox design, time consuming reversing levers, poor regulators, horrid ride when worn,

...and when they did get it more-or-less right, as in double chimney A3, they scrapped them.

You will note please that I did rather well at high school physics and even better at what we called applied mathematics, but I threw that stuff away and bought a 1970 Norton Commando.  Haven't looked back since, really...

Rob.

p.s. how come when I put a picture in this thread the 'page' ends?

Edited by robmcg

Repton?   "nice" ?   Good grief man, steam engines aren't nice!  They are usually grubby noisy and horrid.  Even a 'Schools'...

What I like about British steam is that the designers nearly always got at least one major element of design quite wrong. Draughty cabs, hopeless draughting and/or smokebox design, time consuming reversing levers, poor regulators, horrid ride when worn,

...and when they did get it more-or-less right, as in double chimney A3, they scrapped them.

You will note please that I did rather well at high school physics and even better at what we called applied mathematics, but I threw that stuff away and bought a 1970 Norton Commando.  Haven't looked back since, really...

Rob.

p.s. how come when I put a picture in this thread the 'page' ends?

Hi Rob, Commando and Gold Star, two of the best,

As for your pic well its a b*mmer when that happens,  I now check the post numbers i.e. 25 per page.

But a really great pic all the same. thanks.

Bodgit

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rob, from what I've seen and from the reports of old train drivers, driving diesels and electrics was a relative pleasure in terms of comfort and facilities. But for all their design drawbacks, the romance of steam lives on.

Maybe it lives on for the people that didn't have to work on them, maintain them, clean them out, breath in their fumes and avoid their asbestos etc.... Very romantic!!!

As for your photos... you have to look at the post number and choose your moment. Which reminds me - you've posted 4-5 pictures since I last updated "your" index!

Jeff

Andrew, we could talk more about the Gold Star BSA...   my mate had a 350 for a short time, a different beast than my common-or-garden B31 350cc 6.5:1 c/r single which cost 50 quid and on which I learned to ride.  Decent Gold Star 500s were hard to buy in good nick, mostly wrecked by backyard mechanics. 

My favorite in some ways was my 1961 AJS CSR 650 twin I had for over a year, high compression pistons and twin 32mm Amals jetted for alcohol fuel, got what in 1972 was a fast 13.1 sec quarter mile ...  no Kawasaki 900s around then! I The AJS used vegetable oil (available from BP wholesale only, I had worked at their local port facility so was lucky)  and it smelled lovely!

but the Norton 750 'isolastic' was good, really good, with reverse cone silencers designed by Dr Gordon Blair of Belfast University. One day I was bored and traded it for a new 1973 Trident...   should have kept it, the Commando I mean, it had the roadster cam, softer than the so-called 'Combat' cam and it had no trouble with  drive-side main bearing.

oops, thread drift.

Dark wet autumn day here. Anzac Day holiday remembering our dead from all war after Gallipoli, always a hard day, Chunuk Bair,  Somme, Messines, Ypres, Passchendaele, then all WW2 ...  not wise to drink too much alcohol  with a Merchant Navy seaman who ran convoy to Malta 1942 ...  and many friends including my partner Jan had fathers who were survivors of 15+ missions in RAF Bomber Command, ...

Rob

Edited by robmcg

Andrew, we could talk more about the Gold Star BSA...   my mate had a 350 for a short time, a different beast than my common-or-garden B31 350cc 6.5:1 c/r single which cost 50 quid and on which I learned to ride.  Decent Gold Star 500s were hard to buy in good nick, mostly wrecked by backyard mechanics. 

My favorite in some ways was my 1961 AJS CSR 650 twin I had for over a year, high compression pistons and twin 32mm Amals jetted for alcohol fuel, got what in 1972 was a fast 13.1 sec quarter mile ...  no Kawasaki 900s around then! I The AJS used vegetable oil (available from BP wholesale only, I had worked at their local port facility so was lucky)  and it smelled lovely!

but the Norton 750 'isolastic' was good, really good, with reverse cone silencers designed by Dr Gordon Blair of Belfast University. One day I was bored and traded it for a new 1973 Trident...   should have kept it, the Commando I mean, it had the roadster cam, softer than the so-called 'Combat' cam and it had no trouble with  drive-side main bearing.

oops, thread drift.

Dark wet autumn day here. Anzac Day holiday remembering our dead from all war after Gallipoli, always a hard day, Chunuk Bair,  Somme, Messines, Ypres, Passchendaele, then all WW2 ...  not wise to drink too much alcohol  with a Merchant Navy seaman who ran convoy to Malta 1942 ...  and many friends including my partner Jan had fathers who were survivors of 15+ missions in RAF Bomber Command, ...

Rob

Rob, continued in the Lounge,

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, What a difference that arch liner makes, and well done for doing it right! I know it seems daft to do it, where it won't be seen, but the difference in photos will be worth it.

The next thing you will be doing is fitting smoke units in the tunnel mouths (and under the vent shaft!)....

Andy G

(I think Mankinigate is in this thread BTW)

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, What a difference that arch liner makes, and well done for doing it right! I know it seems daft to do it, where it won't be seen, but the difference in photos will be worth it.

The next thing you will be doing is fitting smoke units in the tunnel mouths (and under the vent shaft!)....

Andy G

(I think Mankinigate is in this thread BTW)

Thanks Andy. When you mentioned the skew the other day I was a bit negative as I hadn't realised how common the practice was. Then all the photos appeared. Tank you, good sir, for making me "get it right"....again!!

Btw, a smoke unit under the vent shaft - now that is a great idea...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

If you could control it (reed switches or very small track circuits perhaps) you could do it under the bridge too, so you get that smokey effect. Now if only you could get smoke units that make black smoke.....

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Outcrops on Settle Scar for comparison, Jeff.  Lots of gr****, mind.   :scratchhead:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2461457

Your rocks are not far off the general colour by the looks of it. Get rid of the white areas, vary the tone a little and I think you'll be in business.

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

I don't know how you intend to proceed with this, but it might be worth a look at the technique described here. I've tried a similar approach with some success, though starting with the darkest tones and adding lighter ones.

Nick

Thanks Nick. The shame about these rock faces is that many of them are going to be hidden out of the way in the cutting. Other than the cuttings there'll be very few exposed rocks as the S&C fells are dominated by grass!

However, I'll find an excuse to fit some in. I've looked at Ben's technique - it's similar to what I do. A wet wash to freshen up the surface, followed by a mix of light and dark grey. Then some black on top. Sand and white highlighting.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Outcrops on Settle Scar for comparison, Jeff.  Lots of gr****, mind.   :scratchhead:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2461457

Your rocks are not far off the general colour by the looks of it. Get rid of the white areas, vary the tone a little and I think you'll be in business.

Polly

Polly, the white areas are just the edge bits that you won't see when the rock faces are actually used. They need to be broken-up to create the cutting walls, so large stand-alone pieces won't exist. Hard to describe.... I've made sections of cliff before but never tried to produce a "controlled" cutting effect. When I've painted enough of the rocks I'll go into the bunker and try fixing some in place.

Ensuring the strata are roughly aligned, of course!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

If you want to go for bonkers reality, you could model the exposed semi-circle bores from where the navvies drilled down to put the dynamite in. Hard to explain (if you haven't seen it) but it's what I remember from climbing around on the rock cuttings at Sandside/Storth. Limestone cliffs, I should add.

• RMweb Premium

If you want to go for bonkers reality, you could model the exposed semi-circle bores from where the navvies drilled down to put the dynamite in. Hard to explain (if you haven't seen it) but it's what I remember from climbing around on the rock cuttings at Sandside/Storth. Limestone cliffs, I should add.

If it's anything like the bore holes the navvies fitted to blow their way through the Rockies, I know what you mean!

Talk about realism!!

I've given up painting for today - I'm going to start building the branch tunnel bridge shortly.

Jeff

Edit: WHY do I keep thinking of the bridge as a TUNNEL??!!

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with the new tunnel and I look forward to seeing it later TONIGHT,

hahhahahhhheheheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Bodgit :sungum:

Even if I could cut the wood to size very quickly I'd take ages waiting for the PVA to dry. Now, if I had a hot glue gun!.....

You'd probably build the bridge in an hour!!

Andy - is the "Dent" model for FY? If so, where is FY set (location)?

Jeff

Edit: Answer to station question spotted in the Lounge. Thanks.

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Going OT for a minute I thought you might like to see my first attempt at weathering. The basis is a ratio 6 ton LNWR wagon which I got on ebay for 99p. It arrived painted matt grey, with all the lettering on.

post-8375-0-02242000-1366911136.jpg

post-8375-0-43281300-1366911148.jpg

post-8375-0-80552400-1366911157.jpg

I got some very fine sand-paper and rubbed at the lettering to make it look broken up and worn, so that it was a lot time ago it was painted.

I them used a very thin coat of thinned black all over, and then while that was still wet added a thinned down coat or two of brown, until I was happy.

What do you think?

Andy G

• Like 2