Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

That bridge is looking the business, interested to see it when you have slapped some paint on it!

Andy G

And as to the B1 thingy, I had no idea about how many we still have, it's not a proper steamer as it carries apple green! (only olive is a colour for locos!)

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff that is fantastic, just like George and Jason, it is so neat, and not a drop of HOT GLUE GUN to be seen. :O

I must be doing something wrong. :ireful: :ireful:   :shout: :shout:

Bodgit

Come on Jeff, we need to get you to 250  pages by MIDNIGHT. :fan: :fan: :fan:     

Bodgit :crazy:

Not much chance of 250 pages - unless you are going to do about 40+ posts, Andy!

And you're correct - not a hot glue gun in sight! 

More plastikard fitting tomorrow, and then I have to start trialling ways to build the walls! Oh well....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

That bridge is looking the business, interested to see it when you have slapped some paint on it!

Andy G

Cheers Andy.

I've decided to paint it in a similar grey colour to the viaduct. After all, they would have been quarried from the same local rock. However, I'll smear some additional "grime" - mostly black and brown - on top to represent the crud from the steam and diesel engines.

I'm not an artist, so the end result is not predictable! Just like the chaotic mess of the prototypes!

Jeff

Jeff, have you checked out Georges Abbotts Bridge, the painting he has done on his Shed is his FIRST ATTEMPT, so don,t be afraid, give it a go.

And Bodgit :fan: :fan: :fan: :fan: :fan: :fan: :wild: :wild: :wild:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, have you checked out Georges Abbotts Bridge, the painting he has done on his Shed is his FIRST ATTEMPT, so don,t be afraid, give it a go.

And Bodgit :fan: :fan: :fan: :fan: :fan: :fan: :wild: :wild: :wild:

Haven't looked at George's shed since he scribed out the bricks. Will pop over in a minute and have a look.

I apply the paint to the dressed stone plastikard using a cloth, and rub it in. A technique suggested by Allan Downes in an article on viaducts in MR, around 10 years ago.

Jeff

Haven't looked at George's shed since he scribed out the bricks. Will pop over in a minute and have a look.

I apply the paint to the dressed stone plastikard using a cloth, and rub it in. A technique suggested by Allan Downes in an article on viaducts in MR, around 10 years ago.

Jeff

Having seen Alan Downes work at close quarters, it must be good

Good luck.

Bodgit

• RMweb Gold

Jeff

Jeff,

Do you use enamels or acryllics?  You have probably said but I'm old and I've forgotten.

Extra black around the top of course where the  smoke has blacken it.

• RMweb Premium

Having seen Alan Downes work at close quarters, it must be good

Good luck.

Bodgit

Just checked. Model Rail 64, Feb 2004, page 64 - in case you have back issues of the mag. It's a good article on building viaducts, too....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Do you use enamels or acryllics?  You have probably said but I'm old and I've forgotten.

Extra black around the top of course where the  smoke has blacken it.

Funny that you ask that, Chris. I've just had a look on George T's "Abbott's Bridge" and asked him the same question!

I've always used acrylics. I splash a bit of black onto the stonework and rub it over the surface with a cloth. To lighten the overall colour a couple of different greys can be added into the mix. Then a very thin wash of white (acrylic or emulsion) to bring out the pointwork.

If you have a look back to post #401, or the viaduct work - post #526 - you'll see the result. I'll do the same here, but - as you say - use black to enhance the "muckiness".

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Funny that you ask that, Chris. I've just had a look on George T's "Abbott's Bridge" and asked him the same question!

I've always used acrylics. I splash a bit of black onto the stonework and rub it over the surface with a cloth. To lighten the overall colour a couple of different greys can be added into the mix. Then a very thin wash of white (acrylic or emulsion) to bring out the pointwork.

If you have a look back to post #401, or the viaduct work - post #526 - you'll see the result. I'll do the same here, but - as you say - use black to enhance the "muckiness".

Jeff

Jeff,

I find that interesting.  You and Andy P use acryllics, and Jason uses enamels.  When I used acryllics to dry brush they dried too quickly.  Different techneque and as I am trying to depict 1895 in mid Wales the building will only be 10 years old and not that dirty.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, neat and tidy....and that's just the workbench kitchen worktop - look! Not a mug or coffee jar in sight ... :nono:

Modelling great, too, Jeff.

Oops.  Just spotted one....  That's the ticket.  Mustn't let the side down. :nono:

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

Have you tried the bridge in place I bet it looks good.

Don

Evening Don. Haven't taken the branch bridge into the bunker yet as the PVA has just dried. Will have a look tomorrow. I've built some wing walls for the branch - I suppose I ought to build some for the main - though space to fit them in could be tricky...

Jeff

Jeff,

I find that interesting.  You and Andy P use acryllics, and Jason uses enamels.  When I used acryllics to dry brush they dried too quickly.  Different techneque and as I am trying to depict 1895 in mid Wales the building will only be 10 years old and not that dirty.

everything was in Black and White in 1895 :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

• Like 1

It is clear Jeff that your professed interest in railways is a ruse, and your real mission is to build stone monuments.

I however remain willfully ignorant of stone bridge abutments and other contructions, and suggest you turn back to the true path, watching trains go by.

To this end, here is a Peppercorn A1 class engine passing somewhere like Darlington at speed... probably around 1959.

post-7929-0-72136400-1367817517.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob.

I must admit that I'm feeling a bit bogged down with the bridges at the moment. It's just one of those things tht has to be done.... See how I feel later this year when I've been building stone walls for a month (or two, or three....).

It was good to get back to the prototype yesterday with the Black 5s and B1s. Quite inspirational!

As for your Peppercorn A1. Very nice. Another LNER machine. But one of my favourites!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

That's the problem, Jeff, with being creative.  People thinks it's a fantastic thing to be but I know from experience that a few hours of interesting planning and designing is followed by longer hours of repetition, the mundane, frustration, call on extreme depths of patience, fortitude, resolve or self motivation...need I go on?

You're doing alright, Jeff.  We just have to stick in there and kid remind ourselves, from time to time, we're enjoying it.

Then, when it's done, hit the roof  :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:  mug of coffee or whatever's your cup of tea....

Of course, Jeff, you go in for all that wonderful detailing, too....

Polly

• RMweb Gold

When it comes to watching trains run they look so much better running through a real scene complete with bridges etc. You are doing a good job and as they say no pain no gain.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Polly and Don, for the words of encouragement.

It's that kind of thing that's kept me going - doing something almost every day (previously unheard of, for me) - over the last year. The actual construction of KL began on june 4th, 2012, with the first bit of the subframe. So we're 11 months "in" ... which isn't bad.

Of course, Andy has built about 5 layouts in that time!!

Modelling this evening - hopefully - after a few other commitments.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob.

I must admit that I'm feeling a bit bogged down with the bridges at the moment. It's just one of those things tht has to be done.... See how I feel later this year when I've been building stone walls for a month (or two, or three....).

It was good to get back to the prototype yesterday with the Black 5s and B1s. Quite inspirational!

As for your Peppercorn A1. Very nice. Another LNER machine. But one of my favourites!

Jeff

Jeff,

The answer as always is to have a variety of tasks, especially with your stone walls.  If you can either set a mould up, as you plan, or something similar that will take a few minutes to make some bricks then you can do it when you have a few spare moments or you can if you wish set yourself  a longer time to do it.  The walls will always be there needing to be done but you will not drive yourself into boredom/frustration doing them all the time.

I have at least two things on the go at the moment.  One Shire Scenes coach sides for a Metro caoch and the othe a scratch built cottage.  I have never worked in brass before so when I sit down if I am not in the right mood for brass, or need to look something up, or don't feel like it I will attack the holes where my windows will go.  To add to the fun I have also jsut repaired some older coaches and am resisting starting painting figures again.  All my progress is painfully slow as I do not spend much time modelling so if I need a change..........

Have fun

Thanks, Polly and Don, for the words of encouragement.

It's that kind of thing that's kept me going - doing something almost every day (previously unheard of, for me) - over the last year. The actual construction of KL began on june 4th, 2012, with the first bit of the subframe. So we're 11 months "in" ... which isn't bad.

Of course, Andy has built about 5 layouts in that time!!

Modelling this evening - hopefully - after a few other commitments.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, sorry for the delay in replying as I have just had to build another layout this morning, :O  hhahhahhhheheeee :no: :no: :no:

Anyway, I could not even dream of doing what you do or the way you work, I buy locos and weather them and the reason for that is that I love to see my purchases working, now don't get me wrong, one day I will start my last Great Project and that will be a long slow process, but I work in a different order to you (and many others) and that is that I lay the track and then fill it with stock so I can run things as I plan and build the next phase.

That to ME is what I want from the hobby, and if a bridge or wall look fairly good, but not an accurate model then so be it, it does for little (very old and running out of time) me.

I is a cracking morning down here and now I have have my coffee and a scone it is back to some Gardening. I HATE IT REALLY

Bodgit Greenfingers, :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Each to their own, I think....

We all have our own ways of doing things. At the moment I want to be running some trains, but progress is being made and it'll be worth it in the end.

Just spent over 2 hours going through a batch of Physics topics.... need a bit of gardening and sunshine to freshen me up!

Jeff