Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob, just do you inject so much atmosphere into a basic static pic? I.E. The smoke etc, do you use a special program on the computer?

Andy

I agree with you, Andy. Rob certainly creates some atmospheric pictures - and his wide range of locos really helps as well.

There are a number of image-processing programs available, but you still have to be skilled to use them effectively. Chris Nevard is a master of this sort of thing.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Never having used air-drying clay (such as DAS and the batch of Scola that's just been delivered) previously, I applied the stuff to create the aqueduct base and left it to dry.... I thought it'd take a few hours - optimistic... 24 hours at least!

Pleased about this as it reduces the urgency when applying it (pardon my naivety!!).

Hoping to make some new rock casts later which I can get painted in the morning.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

It is an odd thing Jeff when I first tried plastering walls I was in a rush because of it setting to quick. Having started to get the hang of it I can take a bit more time and know that you need to let it just start to set before doing the final smoothing with the float. You need to become familiar with your materials. If you want to slow Das down e.g come back to something in the morning a wet cloth over the piece should stop it from drying out enough to allow a bit of touching up.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Right boys and girls heres a few piccys of a Proper Loco:

Running tender first with the ECS (Queen of Scots rake) at Hilgay AHBC yesterday:

post-8375-0-57833400-1368978969.jpg

Today, running on time, shot out of the box window:

post-8375-0-39092600-1368979088.jpg

And one taken by the Mrs this Morning at Hilgay AHBC:

post-8375-0-28622100-1368979183_thumb.jpg

Sounds a really nice loco, no clangs,just breezed past the box!

Andy G

• Like 7

Never having used air-drying clay (such as DAS and the batch of Scola that's just been delivered) previously, I applied the stuff to create the aqueduct base and left it to dry.... I thought it'd take a few hours - optimistic... 24 hours at least!

Pleased about this as it reduces the urgency when applying it (pardon my naivety!!).

Hoping to make some new rock casts later which I can get painted in the morning.

Jeff

So is it now official? YOU ARE A ROCK GOD :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

Right boys and girls heres a few piccys of a Proper Loco:

Running tender first with the ECS (Queen of Scots rake) at Hilgay AHBC yesterday:

attachicon.gifDSC05381.JPG

Today, running on time, shot out of the box window:

attachicon.gifDSC05388.JPG

And one taken by the Mrs this Morning at Hilgay AHBC:

attachicon.gifSAM_5512.JPG

Sounds a really nice loco, no clangs,just breezed past the box!

Andy G

You good lady takes a mean photo Andy, ITS SPOT ON

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Agree with Andy, Andy - hope that makes sense!! Good to see that Jub, lovely machine!

And Andy .... of course I'm a Rock God!!! Rob would testify to that - he's sick of the sight of my rocks (if you'll pardon the expression!!)....  :no:  :no:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Andy (uax6), re. the laying of stones in Lakeland stone walls....

Have a look at these links:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/21551549

http://www.one-foot.com/Bigland%20Barrow%20from%20Newby%20Bridge%2008/2008%20022.jpg

http://www.ehow.com/how_5977994_estimate-stone-walls.html

http://fellrangers.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/dry-stone-walling-on-helm-crag.html

It's hard to find decent photos of walling on an incline, but these pics - all from Cumbria - show that, in the main, the blocks are kept fairly horizontal, no matter the incline...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, have you had a running session lately as we have heard nothing on that score?

Bodgit

Have to admit, the answer is "no". However, that will be rectified (hopefully) later this week when the DCC sound Brit and Black 5 arrive.

The bunker is a very clean environment now, but I'll need to clean the track and re-connect the controller etc.

I've hardly been in the place in the last month - all my work has been done in the kitchen. I've got a few rock moulds on the go tonight - will have a play with some paint tomorrow. I made some about 4 weeks ago but wasn't happy with the paintwork, so scrapped them.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I am looking forward to seeing and HEARING the Video of the Black 5 and Brit running over viaduct.

No pressure there then :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

I'm happy to oblige - providing I get Al round to do the videos. We'd want decent quality and I don't have a decent video camera.

I'm looking forward to running the locos - the sound is an added bonus!

Jeff

Hi Rob, just do you inject so much atmosphere into a basic static pic? I.E. The smoke etc, do you use a special program on the computer?

Andy

Hi Andy there is no specific photo-editing program I use apart from Paintshop Pro 6  which is 11 years old and hasn't been updated because the newer versions appear to me to just have more 'features' and darker more cluttered icons.   I copy and paste many and various bits of things and paint around joins.  I don't even know what 'layering' is, nor how to add photographic skies to model railway backgrounds. So I paint them or copy-paste-hide joins.  I like composing evocative scenes which match my boyhood experiences and view of things.

Learning to use just a small proportion of the tools in my 2001-era software has taken many years and I still don't know what I'm doing most of the time.

Probably should have gone to classes or taken lessons or something, but those part-time tutors charge the EARTH.

Yesterday I scored a lovely LMS red Duchess by Hornby for a good price, didn't need it but couldn't resist. Still waiting for a couple of Yorkshire TMC weathered Jubliees and Patriots to arrive. 

Cheers,

Rob

edit, for inspiration, look no futher than the artwork of c1959-61 Kitmaster boxes....

Edited by robmcg

Cheers for the info Rob, I will give it a go,

I have just had a look at your profile and I had a mate called Rob that lived near me just outside Portsmouth, and when we were about 16 or so he Moved to Aus, it wasn't you by any chance was it?

Bodgit

ah no I am all New Zealand  raised on English railway magazines and suchlike, and rode British motorbikes and repaired British cars...  three of my four brothers will be in the UK next month for 4 weeks and will maybe see part of Yorkshire, unless they blink on the train. Another brother lived and worked in north London for a couple of years. My partner Jan's mother was a Birmingham girl in the land army in WW2, who married a NZ-born flight commander from Bomber Command, and as I have mentioned my own mother was born in Guildford.  But myself, I do not travel easily these days. Besides, doesn't everyone up your way sound like Geoffrey Boycott?   Bloody hell, we just got bowled-out for for sixty-something at Lords, how EMBARRASSING.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Lets have some pics of them on the Viaduct when they arrive then please.

Bodgit

I think that I can guarantee pics on the viaduct, Andy!

It'll be nice to have a Brit running again. Now all I need is for Hornby to release another Clan and the Brit/Clan contribution to my fleet will be complete.

Pics will appear as soon as the locos are delivered - so watch this space!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

ah no I am all New Zealand  raised on English railway magazines and suchlike, and rode British motorbikes and repaired British cars...  three of my four brothers will be in the UK next month for 4 weeks and will maybe see part of Yorkshire, unless they blink on the train. Another brother lived and worked in north London for a couple of years. My partner Jan's mother was a Birmingham girl in the land army in WW2, who married a NZ-born flight commander from Bomber Command, and as I have mentioned my own mother was born in Guildford.  But myself, I do not travel easily these days. Besides, doesn't everyone up your way sound like Geoffrey Boycott?   Bloody hell, we just got bowled-out for for sixty-something at Lords, how EMBARRASSING.

Shame about the 68 as the Kiwis were playing some good cricket.

As for Lord Geoffrey - well, he's a Yorkshire legend. Thi dont mek em lak that evry day, lad!

Btw, I agree about the software issue. I use an astronomical program called "Redshift". I've got the first 4 versions - I think we're up to number 8 now. The most user-friendly, best set-out is either version 2 or 4, dating back to around 2000. The later versions, with "added features" are far too cluttered and try to be too clever for their own good.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It's just not fair that SWMBO takes better pictures than me! It was her only shot, and the first time she has seen a steamer on the mainline as well. I will claim that the reason she takes better photos is that is has the good camera and I have the old one, that is held together with two elastic bands and a cotton bud! Funnily enough this old one takes great close ups, and most of my photos that appear on here have been taken with it. I must raid ebay for another at some point!

The drystone walls in the Lakes are interesting, I suppose I never really noticed that the courses are level, but they would appear to be! (We have a lot of brick walls around here, and lots of the old ones follow the lye of the land, and so are really bumpy).

Finally the family are going to the lakes next year for a hoilday, I haven't been for 15-18 years, the rest have never been. I need to work out some gentle walks for us (5 year old in tow) hopefully which will avoid paved paths.

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Morning Andy.

No shortage of lovely walks in the Lakes. Even a short walk along the lakeside can be fantastic, surrounded by wonderful scenery. I'll be hiking up and down a few mountains this summer - so I'll post a few pics in the Lounge (remembering to look at walling structure!)

Just had my breakfast. It'll soon be time to paint a few mini rock faces I've just removed from their moulds...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

My worry is that it will have all changed since I was last there, and that there will be loads more poeple about. I have good memories of walking around Derwent Water and walking the fairfield horseshoe (which is probably the best starter fell) and playing bowling and putting at Ambleside (hope thats still there, the little un will need something different!)

Kettle will be going on soon, as will the one going past (tender first this time) I'm not going to take pictures today as it's raining, and i want to look at the coaches.......

When are you lot going to club together and buy me a birthday treat (thats what the special was all about) like that??

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

The putting green is still there Andy. As a kid, I used to love playing on the huge rocks in the park (behind the church); my brother and I much preferring them to the swings and slide.

Another very nice walk s over Loughrigg Fell, down to the tarn, up towards High Close and then back down Loughrigg Terrace, with it's stunning views over Rydal Water, Grasmere, etc. Not overly taxing, well surfaced, lovely views, etc.

Ambleside pubs..... Best one (in my opinion) has to be the Royal Oak.

Ambleside is my favourite town, anywhere. I love the place :)

• RMweb Gold

Andy (uax6), re. the laying of stones in Lakeland stone walls....

Have a look at these links:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/21551549

http://www.one-foot.com/Bigland%20Barrow%20from%20Newby%20Bridge%2008/2008%20022.jpg

http://www.ehow.com/how_5977994_estimate-stone-walls.html

http://fellrangers.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/dry-stone-walling-on-helm-crag.html

It's hard to find decent photos of walling on an incline, but these pics - all from Cumbria - show that, in the main, the blocks are kept fairly horizontal, no matter the incline...

Jeff

Jeff if you think about it on a steep slope there would be a tendancy for the rocks to slip downwards if they were laid to the slope. Similarly with panel fencing etc.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Jeff if you think about it on a steep slope there would be a tendancy for the rocks to slip downwards if they were laid to the slope. Similarly with panel fencing etc.

Don

Don, I'm relying on something like this as an excuse for when my wall-building goes awry on the slopes!

I can then point to a "scientific" explanation as to why it didn't work out quite as planned!

Thanks for that...

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, Some catching up to do this morning with all the weekend postings. That bridge/aqueduct construction is a strange beast, more of a cut-and-cover tunnel than a bridge. I wonder what the Midland classed it as? There's nothing stanger than fact and you have the photo to prove it. Went and got a new laptop last week so I should soon be able to tune into RMweb at the weekend now that I have a faster machine, just got to get used to Windows 8 though, it's worse that changing dentists. Even though I live out in the sticks, I still go to the dentist I have used for decades in Middlesbrough. Happy walling.