Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Update on the main line bridge - wing walls and copings fitted.

Filler inserted between wing walls and pillars - needs rubbing down when hard. Then the whole thing can be painted!!

post-13778-0-86041200-1369334594_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-82243100-1369334601_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-64661600-1369334608_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-07704400-1369334615_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

Hi Jeff,

Very nice bridge and very nice Brit's and Black 5. I don't - can't - want  DCC  so I'll have to go 'choo choo' & 'diddly-dee - diddly-dum'  for my sound effects if I ever get anything running again.

The bridge is an absolute belter !!!!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Very nice bridge and very nice Brit's and Black 5. I don't - can't - want  DCC  so I'll have to go 'choo choo' & 'diddly-dee - diddly-dum'  for my sound effects if I ever get anything running again.

The bridge is an absolute belter !!!!

Just be careful you don't get arrested, Mike. People making funny noises like that tend to get funny looks!

Hi Jeff that is some lovely stone work, and I am looking forward to seeing the paint go on and some grot and grime rubbed in afterwards.  LOTS OF GRIME :declare: :locomotive:

Bodgit :sungum:

I'll do my best! I will rub the filler down in the morning - so I may be able to slap some paint on tomorrow afternoon. The wing walls need a short column at each end, but that can be made and tagged on at any time.

Jeff

Must admit I'm pleased with the sound performance of the locos. But just nice to have some Brits on the layout!

Thanks for the "gift" of the Likes!!

Jeff

Morning all, 

Frosty here, but we battle on. It's the British Way.

Lovely engines Jeff,  glad they appear fault-free, nice weathering too.  I've had some sound locos too, A4, Duchess, several diesels, Deltic, 47, 40, 25, and found the diesels more realistic. You can tune the CCVs forever on steam effects and become quite obsesssed!  I like clankiong and drifting noises with steam trains under less than full 'chuff chuff'  which quite hard to achieve, and stopping might become very slow, just like the real thing!    I also like the clickety clack of wheels.

I sold all my sound models when I left Christchurch, made good money too! 

Am making a blurred side-on of Jubilee 45593 'Kolhapur' today, having received my Irwell 'Book of the Jubilee 4-6-0s'  yesterday, so as to get most rivets approximate...

Best,

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Morning Rob (evening here - of course).

The weather here is very seasonal - pouring down, 50mph gusts and hailstones. Well it is nearly June!!

You are right about the CV programming. I've already been tweaking the values - the whistle on the Black 5 nearly perforated my ears before I turned the volume down!

To be honest, it's the weathered effect I'm more interested in. The "medium" weathering shows up clearer in photos of the Black 5 than the Brits - though they look lovely "in the flesh" with their dulled appearance and nice touches around valves etc.

I'm off to bed now - 10.30pm here, and I try to get up at 5.30 now the sun rises so early.

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, I guess you have been up about 5 hours now? That bridge looks stunning and I cannot wait to see it in position with the aqueduct completed. I think it will be fine without the farm track/road. After all, if you put in the track it would have had to have gone somewhere at least with a path it can just "disappear" into the distance more naturally.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I guess you have been up about 5 hours now? That bridge looks stunning and I cannot wait to see it in position with the aqueduct completed. I think it will be fine without the farm track/road. After all, if you put in the track it would have had to have gone somewhere at least with a path it can just "disappear" into the distance more naturally.

Morning Jonathan.

Only 4.5 hours - I slept in until 6.15!

I've spent the last couple of hours rubbing the filler down on the bridge using very fine sandpaper and a tiny headed screwdriver. It's getting there - I'll put a photo up later. Then I'll have a play with a bit of paint, and see how it goes. I've got to do the filler-job with the other bridge, and fit copings.

It's slowly coming together!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I think they've been occupied for quite a while now...

No Jim, Michael, Bill or Billy and even Bodgit's busy with something until next week.

Back to the filler...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

I've just finished putting the coping stones on the branch bridge. So here are some pics. I've still got to rub down the filler that joins the wing walls to the bridge on the branch bridge. You can see that this has been done - and worked quite well - on the main bridge.

This may not seem like much, but I've spent 4 hours working on these beasties today.

post-13778-0-81559800-1369418293_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-35712600-1369418300_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-05642900-1369418307_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-02936600-1369418313_thumb.jpg

When the PVA is dry, I'll take the bridges into the bunker, place them in position and take a pic or two.

Jeff

• Like 4

That's looking really good Jeff, I like the angle of the Wing Walls, I never realized that the did that they did that.

The time and care you have taken is really paying off, very nice mate.

I can't believe it took four hours, that's another layout to me, hhahaaaa

Bodge of the Bridge :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

That's looking really good Jeff, I like the angle of the Wing Walls, I never realized that the did that they did that.

The time and care you have taken is really paying off, very nice mate.

I can't believe it took four hours, that's another layout to me, hhahaaaa

Bodge of the Bridge :sungum:

If you have a look at this photo you'll see very clearly the way the way the substantial stone walling in the wings is angled to thrust against the surrounding bank:

post-13778-0-45764600-1369429584.jpg

A layout in 4 hours, Andy? You must be slowing down!!  :sungum:  :sungum:

Jeff

If you have a look at this photo you'll see very clearly the way the way the substantial stone walling in the wings is angled to thrust against the surrounding bank:

attachicon.gif441340_ce522313.jpg

A layout in 4 hours, Andy? You must be slowing down!!  :sungum:  :sungum:

Jeff

Jeff, my old mate,

Looking at the angle of the walls and calculating the mass of earth forced upon it in a dry state I would say that your walls need to be .0358 degrees shallower to compensate for the pressure of the mass during heavy rain.

that's Phisics for you, hhahhaaaheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Bodgit the mattatthhannantian

Edited by Andrew P

Morning Rob (evening here - of course).

The weather here is very seasonal - pouring down, 50mph gusts and hailstones. Well it is nearly June!!

You are right about the CV programming. I've already been tweaking the values - the whistle on the Black 5 nearly perforated my ears before I turned the volume down!

To be honest, it's the weathered effect I'm more interested in. The "medium" weathering shows up clearer in photos of the Black 5 than the Brits - though they look lovely "in the flesh" with their dulled appearance and nice touches around valves etc.

I'm off to bed now - 10.30pm here, and I try to get up at 5.30 now the sun rises so early.

Cheers,

Jeff

The weather is wet and dull here, but sun will shine through soon. I can feel it in me bones.

I agree the weathering effects are lovely 'to the eye' and do not always look the same with a camera...   here below yesterday's photo of Bachmann Jubilee 45593 'Kolhapur' , which was a Carlisle Upperby engine in the early-mid 50s and may have strayed onto the S&C   although I will have to read about the exact degree of swapping between sheds.   

The model came with the usual detail pack which in the case of Jubs and Patriots is quite extensive and would need to be weathered to match, but I just paint them on when I'm adding pipework and so on....

I like the way ex-LMS engines  were called 'red 'uns' (Jubilees) and 'little 'uns' (Patriots) in correct terms. Coronations were 'big 'uns' and I think Black 5s were 'black 'uns'. I stand to be corrected. My new Irwell tome 'The Book of the Jubilee 4-6-0s' is full of lovely anecdotes as well as warnings about the veracity of some 'official' records regarding maintance and shed allocations.

All kinds of artistic license used on the cab, as ever.

post-7929-0-80570600-1369434816.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Four hours?  That's pure thinking time on my layout.   :laugh:

Found two vids on Youtube today of Tangmere with support coach go on shed at Southall  (2007, I think).

Will have to post them on GWRd when my Tangmere model and coach are sorted and photo'd.  Reckon I'll need some 'staff' with those orange jackets, first.

Something to look forward to for all you southern Spam Can lovers....  :D

But ...back on topic  :offtopic:

Those bridges are looking 9/10 Jeff - I'm holding a bit back for 'Presentation' when they arrive on the layout. :ok:

The photographed bridge looks pretty good, too. :mosking:

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Polly. The branch needs rubbing down, then I need to mix up some paint for application.

I'll check for position later today - pics, of course - and then we'll be ready for the next stage. Whatever that is!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The weather is wet and dull here, but sun will shine through soon. I can feel it in me bones.

I agree the weathering effects are lovely 'to the eye' and do not always look the same with a camera...   here below yesterday's photo of Bachmann Jubilee 45593 'Kolhapur' , which was a Carlisle Upperby engine in the early-mid 50s and may have strayed onto the S&C   although I will have to read about the exact degree of swapping between sheds.   

The model came with the usual detail pack which in the case of Jubs and Patriots is quite extensive and would need to be weathered to match, but I just paint them on when I'm adding pipework and so on....

I like the way ex-LMS engines  were called 'red 'uns' (Jubilees) and 'little 'uns' (Patriots) in correct terms. Coronations were 'big 'uns' and I think Black 5s were 'black 'uns'. I stand to be corrected. My new Irwell tome 'The Book of the Jubilee 4-6-0s' is full of lovely anecdotes as well as warnings about the veracity of some 'official' records regarding maintance and shed allocations.

All kinds of artistic license used on the cab, as ever.

attachicon.gif45593_Jubilee_putting_on_fire_4abc1_r800_crop3.jpg

My brother has just been round and I took him into the bunker to show him "something I'd bought". He likes trains, but has never modelled any - he has good appreciation of what "looks right", in my opinion.

I positioned him in front of the 2 Brits and the first thing he said was "nice weathering". Took him by surprise when the hooter sounded!

Funny how you say a Patriot was a "little 'un". In size, they are comparable to a Jubilee, as is their tractive effort.

Btw, after a week of stinking weather, it's a beautiful sunny morning. Could get up to 16C later today. Perfect. Got to garden in that weather - too good for the bunker!!

Jeff

Thought I'd have 10 minutes on RMweb relaxing from building embankments and walls and look in on here.....

Some relaxing......You're all talking embankments, bridges and abutments apart from the off topic stuff. Must say I do like the look of your two bridges but they were finished yesterday so shouldnt they be painted by now...?  :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thought I'd have 10 minutes on RMweb relaxing from building embankments and walls and look in on here.....Some relaxing......You're all talking embankments, bridges and abutments apart from the off topic stuff. Must say I do like the look of your two bridges but they were finished yesterday so shouldnt they be painted by now...? :nono:  :biggrin_mini2:

Always a pleasure to hear from you, Larry. I thought you were going to give us the benefit of your knowledge on Jubs and Patriots!

Yes, bridges, stones, bridges.... even I'm getting sick of them!

I need to rub down the filler I put onto the branch bridge. Then paint them.

As for today - 3 hours of Physics tutoring, shopping, cut the lawn, bit of gardening and about to go to a friends for coffee - in the sunshine. So painting will be Monday - I'm off to the NEC for a concert tomorrow.

Guess what - after painting them, it'll be rocks and cuttings. Rob in New Zealand will be going nuts!!  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Always a pleasure to hear from you, Larry. I thought you were going to give us the benefit of your knowledge on Jubs and Patriots!

Yes, bridges, stones, bridges.... even I'm getting sick of them!

I need to rub down the filler I put onto the branch bridge. Then paint them.

As for today - 3 hours of Physics tutoring, shopping, cut the lawn, bit of gardening and about to go to a friends for coffee - in the sunshine. So painting will be Monday - I'm off to the NEC for a concert tomorrow.

Guess what - after painting them, it'll be rocks and cuttings. Rob in New Zealand will be going nuts!!  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

NEC, :O  You will be going past my front door then?

Who are you going to see, a Rock God like yourself???????? :nono:

Bodgit :sungum:

Funny how you say a Patriot was a "little 'un". In size, they are comparable to a Jubilee, as is their tractive effort.

Btw, after a week of stinking weather, it's a beautiful sunny morning. Could get up to 16C later today. Perfect. Got to garden in that weather - too good for the bunker!!

Jeff

I think the idea of 16C being good to be out in the garden would mystify some, but that's approximately what it is here, with cold southerly weather approaching from the south today, with snow to low levels in a day or two, winter may finally have arrived. Meanwhile it is windy and mild at about 14C with westerly wind. Good drying weather.  Yes we still dry clothes on a line. None of this modern clothers-dryer nonsense. Jan is out in the garden making compost.

With breezy weather I thought I would give my latest pic a suitable name, 'Jubilee 45593 windy day on shed,' which allows me to avoid brickwork or stonework backgrounds with wind-blown steam and smoke.

Fowler Patriots were indeed comparable to Stanier Jubilees, and performance of each type probably fell into areas of influence like crew skills, moods, mechanical conidtion and so on, and the Jubilees were so common at 191 engines that I suspect the maintenance men and drivers knew how to get the best out of them. They could be filled with coal and water and work seven days straight without any maintenance attention beyond usual checking and lubrication, and would do 40,000 miles between piston and valve exams, 70,000 between wheel and axlebox attention, and 150,000 or more betwen boiler repairs and general repairs. (source; Irwell)  Backbone-of-Britain stuff!  Many ran over 1,300,000 miles before withdrawal. But above all, I think they looked good as machines.

post-7929-0-97156300-1369607448.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

Not very likely....... These Images are on several threads. I'm here to scrounge ideas Jeff. Trouble is, Mr.Bacup has gone off to wippet and flat cap land and several other layouts have dissapeared altogether, so the cupboard is getting bare. Enjoy your day-off........... I'm hoping to do more in the shed while the weather is warm, but Mrs. coach might remember I promised to take her to Llanberis Lake today! :)

Edited by coachmann