Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Just had a thought Jeff (what? another one) if you mix varying amounts of white DAS with the grey Scola stuff then you'll get stone strips in different shades of grey, may save a bit on painting.

Great minds Jonathan. After you mentioned the Scola stuff (btw, I've ordered 4.5kg) I was thinking about the glue colouring, then had thoughts of mixing - like you. No harm if it doesn't look right, but I think it could work. I'll certainly give it a try.

Hi Jeff, just had a read through and I can confirm that YOU DO NEED TO SEE A SHRINK, hhaaaa

Great walls but you have a LOT more patience than me.

Bodgit.

Andy, Duncan - it's just pure insanity, but who cares?

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: I've been building the walls for the sections that go across the branch bridge. However, I've run out of the 60thou and 80thou clay strips and have had to make another batch.

This has halted work and the new strips won't be usable until tomorrow afternoon. 

More pics etc when there's something worth looking at!

Jeff

Jeff

It sounds like you have a self limiting production process which means that you can do some walling and then move on to another small area. It should keep the remaining sanity intact.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I'm no expert, but are you sure that the walls courses are <always> horizontal? Quite a few dry stone walls I've seen the courses run parallel with the ground, so that they produce a lovely wavy pattern.

BTW I was sceptical about mixing grey in with the glue, but it does seem to work quite well. Infact those walls look most realistic. Next photo shoot time could you put something in the picture so that we can see the scale of it please, It looks at the minute that it could be 1" to the foot!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Morning Andy.

I can't say for certain that stone wall courses are "always" horizontal. However, the photos I've seen from the S&C area show that to be the preference.

I've built the walls to a height of just over 2cm, so 5'ish to scale. I'll go and get you a couple of pics right now!...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Andy, here's the photos you requested. I've used a £1 coin for reference. It's stood next to the (currently incomplete) branch bridge wall....

post-13778-0-97329500-1368772095_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-29580600-1368772104_thumb.jpg

Hope that's useful. Btw, hope to get more walling done this afternoon.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It just goes to show how effective those walls actually are! Well done Jeff, heres to the next 10000 stones being laid!

Andy G ;-)

• RMweb Premium

Here's an interesting stat for you....

Every cm of the walls is using around 10 stones. So 1000 stones per metre length.

Estimated walling length for Lune Fell is around 10 to 15 metres.

So 10000 to 15000 stones will be used!

Before I've built the aqueduct sections I've cut the strips into a collection of different lengths. They soon get used up!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Owww I like a nice stat. Also I note that my guess wasn't too far out either ;-}

I fear you may need another rolling jig to up production!

Andy G

Here's an interesting stat for you....

Every cm of the walls is using around 10 stones. So 1000 stones per metre length.

Estimated walling length for Lune Fell is around 10 to 15 metres.

So 10000 to 15000 stones will be used!

Before I've built the aqueduct sections I've cut the strips into a collection of different lengths. They soon get used up!!

Jeff

That's funny I woke up at 6 this morning and thought to myself, I wonder if Jeff has worked out how many stones he will need to finish the layout :no:

YOU ARE A SAD B

Bodgit :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

That's funny I woke up at 6 this morning and thought to myself, I wonder if Jeff has worked out how many stones he will need to finish the layout :no:

YOU ARE A SAD B

Bodgit :sungum:

Hahahaha.........  :O

I only did it (it took 30 seconds) because of...

It just goes to show how effective those walls actually are! Well done Jeff, heres to the next 10000 stones being laid!

Andy G ;-)

Honest!!!!!  :angel:

Jeff

• Like 1

I am looking forward to seeing the result of the self coloured putty/DAS type stuff.

The aquqductie thing must be coming on a treat by now,

Have you stopped for coffee? or can you work and drink,

If you did it in your Bunker you could set a couple of trains running whilst you do your wallie bits.

Bodgit the Builder :O      NOT :no:

Impressive drystone wall construction Jeff and not something everyone would have the perseverance or patience to construct. Good luck mon. I was glad Hornby did their walls, although their link systems leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't know if you have a colouring process devised but if I were doing it they would be sprayed in the stone colour of your chosen district followed when dry by a wash of much diluted acrylic black and Fairy Liquid. If one-round isn't enough then do it again and also pick out odd stones. Finally a spraycoat of matt varnish removes any glossy tendencies.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Impressive drystone wall construction Jeff and not something everyone would have the perseverance or patience to construct. Good luck mon. I was glad Hornby did their walls, although their link systems leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't know if you have a colouring process devised but if I were doing it they would be sprayed in the stone colour of your chosen district followed when dry by a wash of much diluted acrylic black and Fairy Liquid. If one-round isn't enough then do it again and also pick out odd stones. Finally a spraycoat of matt varnish removes any glossy tendencies.

Cheers Larry.

The stonework in S&C walling is quite a light grey and I'll need to add in a bit of highlighting using black and dark greys.

As always, I appreciate your input.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I am looking forward to seeing the result of the self coloured putty/DAS type stuff.

The aquqductie thing must be coming on a treat by now,

Have you stopped for coffee? or can you work and drink,

If you did it in your Bunker you could set a couple of trains running whilst you do your wallie bits.

Bodgit the Builder :O      NOT :no:

HeeeeHeeee.... I haven't managed any work on the walls today - yet. I've had to wait for the latest clay strips to dry.

I've also been doing some Physics work. Ready to go after my lunch, though.... more later.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update: The aqueduct walls have now been completed for both the main line and branch bridge sections.

I'm currently working on the main line section: the walls have been permanently stuck onto a plastikard base using evostik (they could be removed by "peeling                  

off" when using PVA).

When the evostik has dried out, I'll fill the floor area between the walls with DAS clay, which I'll scribe (very roughly) when dry.

I'll show photos of all tonight's stages later this evening (scribing tomorrow).

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Update: The aqueduct walls have now been completed for both the main line and branch bridge sections.

I'm currently working on the main line section: the walls have been permanently stuck onto a plastikard base using evostik (they could be removed by "peeling                  

off" when using PVA).

When the evostik has dried out, I'll fill the floor area between the walls with DAS clay, which I'll scribe (very roughly) when dry.

I'll show photos of all tonight's stages later this evening (scribing tomorrow).

Jeff

Great Stuff mate but NO HOT GLUE GUN ? I would have had it all hot glued, INCLUDING MY FINGERS by now, hhahaaaheee

Looking forward to some pics soon.

Bodgit five fingers and two thumbs but still counting.

P.S. I am have my mate Jeff (Binney) over tonight for a running session on Loch Leven, so maybe some more pics tomorrow to join those I put on today.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

I know Chip was lurking earlier and since you mentioned photos - well, I thought I'd chuck a few on here now...

60thou plastikard base with 3 x 60 thou strips to form a base for the walls. You'll see why later...

post-13778-0-58222900-1368812888_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-02764200-1368812897_thumb.jpg

Walling sections duly attached...

post-13778-0-48746300-1368812905_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-14454700-1368812913_thumb.jpg

More shortly...

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Photos below show how the walls will sit on top of the main line bridge. 

2 frontish views and a side view. There is about 3' scale clearance to the rear of the wall and 10' to the front - plenty of room for a track that vehicles can fit through:

post-13778-0-22816800-1368813151_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-22000600-1368813159_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-39857000-1368813170_thumb.jpg

The plastikard base is NOT attached at the mo - and won't be until I've painted the bridge.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The interior of the aqueduct has been given a DAS base, with a bit of curvature to represent a drainage channel. The shape doesn't really matter as the prototype - shown in the 3rd photo - is pretty crapped up!!

post-13778-0-76254500-1368818840_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-35596700-1368818847_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-58047800-1368818956.jpg

The clay will be allowed to set and a rough brick-stone pattern will be scribed onto it.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

It looks like all the work you're putting in is paying off. At least you can paint the bridge while another set of blocks is drying.

Duncan

I think there'll be plenty of other things to do while the n-th part of a stone wall is drying!

Must say, I'm looking forward to having a go at wall building on the Fell itself. I think I'll mark out a track for a wall that climbs up the slope and start to have a go at building part of it.

Really should get on with the cutting rock faces though!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

You're going to hate me for this Jeff, but where the stream crosses the bridge (which was presumably built as an aqueduct first in mind), would the walls that crossed the bridge itself not be built in the same style as the bridge itself? I may be barking up the wrong tree but surely they would construct the channel walls in the same style and stone as the bridge structure itself.

• RMweb Premium

You're going to hate me for this Jeff, but where the stream crosses the bridge (which was presumably built as an aqueduct first in mind), would the walls that crossed the bridge itself not be built in the same style as the bridge itself? I may be barking up the wrong tree but surely they would construct the channel walls in the same style and stone as the bridge structure itself.

No problem, Jason, it's a good point. I'm just going by what I've seen in the prototype picture here (probably a copyrighted pic - if so, happy to remove...):

post-13778-0-34624700-1368821423.jpg

Slightly different geometry, with the bridge built into the hillside and a bank above it. But the bridge was different stone to the stone-walling of the aqueduct.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In fact, Jason, you've done me a favour by making me look afresh at that photo. I'll build my structure in the same way - I'll just have to lift the adjoining hillside by a scale 6' (and since the hillside to either side of the bridges hasn't been built yet, it's easy!!).

Jeff