Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

With regard to the aqueduct and as Jonathan mentioned above, the example does seem to be more of a short tunnel rather than a bridge per se, which is possibly why the walls are built as they are. I'm still not convinced that a narrower bridge would have the aqueduct channeled through a dry stone wall as it crossed the bridge itself; it just doesn't make sense from a construction perspective. e.g. why would the navvies build a stone bridge and then construct a dry stone wall over it, especially when the very nature of a dry stone wall means that the stones themselves are loose and could fall off, over the bridge and potentially cause an accident? Either side of and between the bridges then yes, but on the bridge itself?

If you do build up the ground on the bridge, then it does need to be a bit wider I reckon. How about leaving the bridges you have as a farm track and then behind there, where the line disappears into the fiddle yard, model the aqueduct as in your inspiration photo?

• RMweb Premium

Some lovely photos of the top side of the real viaduct can be found here:

http://www.visitcumbria.com/carlset/force-gill-aqueduct/

I'm not sure that's the same aqueduct I'm modelling, Jonathan. There are two crossing the line. If you look at these photos, the second is a different beast - that's what I'm building...

post-13778-0-95293700-1369042982.jpg

post-13778-0-76016200-1369042987.jpg

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jason, maybe the aqueduct was already there and the railway was tunnelled underneath it - the "bridge" being part of a cutting?

Since the prototype exists, I'll do a version of it. I don't have the space to take the aqueduct across - if I did (see photo) I'd have to build 2 more bridges across the cuttings to carry it and it wouldn't fit very well onto the sloping hillside.

post-13778-0-75007700-1369043234_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Umm, having studied the background pathways on your web link and my pics I conclude they ARE the same and my second picture is just the tail-end of the structure.

I'm certainly not building up the interior with all the fancy brickwork - it can have a plain channel!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just waved Galatea goodbye for the final time. Running tender first with the stock, making a fine sight. Three of the usual types on the platform with cameras (they even took photos of themselves in the door mirror thingy.

There supposed to be another steamer this coming weekend, but I'm busy elsewhere ;-(

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

On a slightly different tangent but still bridge related, are you going to have bridge plates as shown here http://www.flickr.com/photos/62164957@N06/5700572328/

One thing worries me though. Every time I search for anything S&C related, KL seems to dominate the image search.

Duncan

Yippeeeeeeee!!!!!!!  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum: 

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Right - here is Jeff's quick and very easy rock painting technique. It's taken me a few weeks to get back to this bit - and I remembered how I'd painted the last batch.

Select your colours... I've used matt acrylics in white, umber and light grey. A splodge or two into a glass, water added to dilute to about 10:1.

post-13778-0-65856100-1369048026_thumb.jpg

Take your rock face, fresh from its mould....

post-13778-0-55875600-1369048130_thumb.jpg

Randomly splodge on some grey...then some umber...finally a wash of white....then a little umber, running through the white wash to highlight detail...

post-13778-0-96506300-1369048227_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-72659200-1369048231_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-88736900-1369048238_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-97520000-1369048243_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Umm, having studied the background pathways on your web link and my pics I conclude they ARE the same and my second picture is just the tail-end of the structure.

I'm certainly not building up the interior with all the fancy brickwork - it can have a plain channel!

Jeff

It doesn't look like brickwork Jeff, stone setts I think. According to the captions, Railtrack had a similar idea for a plain channel in concrete but thought better of it. A grade 2 listed structure, nice job by those who refurbished it.

I doubt they would have tunnelled here - far too shallow, no doubt cut-and-cover with the beck diverted during construction. Had they been able to tunnel then Blea Moor tunnel would have started here?

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jonathan.

As Jason and others (including yourself) have said, it's a strange arrangement. And it exists in reality. So it'll me modelled - in a scaled-down version...

If the aqueduct was a feature in the centre of the layout, with plenty of space, I'd model it exactly as it is - interior details, deeper bridge etc. I like the idea of the aqueduct providing detail in what would have been a relatively dull corner of the layout and I'll use "modeller's licence" to fit it in on top of the bridges.

In the meantime, the rock face production factory is in full swing. More plaster in the moulds. When I have a few to play with I'll go into the bunker and start fixing bits of rocks onto the cutting faces.

Jeff

Right - here is Jeff's quick and very easy rock painting technique. It's taken me a few weeks to get back to this bit - and I remembered how I'd painted the last batch.

Select your colours... I've used matt acrylics in white, umber and light grey. A splodge or two into a glass, water added to dilute to about 10:1.

attachicon.gif100_3325.JPG

Take your rock face, fresh from its mould....

attachicon.gif100_3324.JPG

Randomly splodge on some grey...then some umber...finally a wash of white....then a little umber, running through the white wash to highlight detail...

attachicon.gif100_3326.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3327.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3331.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3332.JPG

Jeff

Hi Jeff, STUNNING, I will now have to follow your lead.

BRILLIANT MATE CHEERS,

Bodgit

• RMweb Gold

Anyway Jeff, back to the modelling. How's that Scola air-drying stuff working out compared with DAS? They certainly delivered it quickly enough. Do you use it to fill your rock moulds or is this wet plaster?

• RMweb Premium

Andy - just to show how quick this method is....

Moulds were refilled with plaster 2 hours ago. Plaster removed TEN minutes ago and rock faces now painted...for example...

post-13778-0-01074900-1369058311_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-96230800-1369058314_thumb.jpg

I'll clean the moulds and re-load with plaster after a cup of coffee!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Anyway Jeff, back to the modelling. How's that Scola air-drying stuff working out compared with DAS? They certainly delivered it quickly enough. Do you use it to fill your rock moulds or is this wet plaster?

The Scola is supposedly grey - and it is lightening as it dries. But it's very dark compared to DAS.

I've used it as the drainage channel for the aqueducts, but I must admit that I prefer the DAS - I'll stick to DAS for the walling. Nothing lost - it was worth trying.

I use plaster for the rocks I'm casting. Another mix required after coffee!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff I presume this aqueduct relies on puddled clay for waterproofing and that the stones laid in the base are to stop the clay underneath drying out. If that is the case then you need a reasonable thickness of clay/soil over the top of the bridge. I see in the photos there is quite a bit above the bridge .

Don

• RMweb Premium

Jeff I presume this aqueduct relies on puddled clay for waterproofing and that the stones laid in the base are to stop the clay underneath drying out. If that is the case then you need a reasonable thickness of clay/soil over the top of the bridge. I see in the photos there is quite a bit above the bridge .

Don

Yes, Don. I reckoned there was about 8 feet of soil above where the road deck would be on a normal bridge. So I've lifted the base of the aqueduct stone wall by 34mm - 8.5' - above the deck (see posts 6451 and 6464) - which I hope will look ok.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update: I now have a fair collection of painted rock faces - in fact, my kitchen work tops are covered in them! I'll take a batch into the bunker tomorrow and start building   

the walls of the cuttings.

About time too! Then I can plan to fit the bridges in place..... etc etc. Let's see what happens.

And chip, if you tune in....lots of pics!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all those pics, Jeff.

I'll have a few rock outcrops to paint for Camel Quay.  That technique is impressive.  I'll have to give it a go.

Cornish ones will be a different colour combination, though.

Great work, yet again.

Polly

As ever, a break from rocks... 

and a Manchester-based Jubilee 45587 'Baroda' in pristine condition, looking very smart in afternoon sun, ready for a some arduous work perhaps as far as Carlisle?   The fireman looks suitably unimpressed with the idea of work ahead. 

I do rather enjoy making plastic models look a bit metallic, shiny, dirty, and somewhat like I remember them in sheds of the 1960s. They weren't always completely grubby, rusty and forlorn. 

Still waiting for 4 models from TMC, two are in the post.  Received two weathered Black 5s today from Portsmouth however, yet to open.

Cheers,

Rob

post-7929-0-83827300-1369118129.jpg

Edited by robmcg

"And chip, if you tune in....lots of pics!"

Hi Jeff

For certain I will be lurking around somewhere keeping an eye on this thread through the day, with the promise of more pics I might even use both eyes!!

Love the rocks, as usual you make it look so easy.

Chip

• RMweb Premium

"And chip, if you tune in....lots of pics!"

Hi Jeff

For certain I will be lurking around somewhere keeping an eye on this thread through the day, with the promise of more pics I might even use both eyes!!

Love the rocks, as usual you make it look so easy.

Chip

Morning Chip.

I'm not saying my method of painting the rocks is the most effective, but it IS very easy. I think I'll call it the "Splodge" technique - no artistic talent required - which is why I can do it!

I've just been in the bunker for the last hour, carving out the positions for the bridges. A few adjustments were needed. I've got another batch of rocks to "paint", then I'll be taking a collection into the bunker to fix into position. No idea how that'll go, at the moment, but there will be some kind of rock face in place when I've finished!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

This thread is TOO QUIET!

Time for a wake-up call with lots of photos - Bodgit style!

Here is the collection of rocks available for the cutting walls. All made and painted over the last day or so. They will need to be broken/cut into pieces to fit onto the walls...

post-13778-0-99946600-1369141718_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-40664300-1369141723_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-53825100-1369141727_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've spent 2 hours today, hacking at the cutting walls I'd already built, in order to accommodate the slightly modified position of the bridges.

Here's the hack, and a couple of pseudo-"artistic" views under the bridges...  :O  :no:

post-13778-0-03621400-1369141948_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-61642400-1369141954_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-74901900-1369141963_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-17941900-1369141974_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4