Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Yes Jeff, you TOLD US TO REMIND YOU ABOUT LOCO PICS. :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Bodgit

I did, and I'm glad you reminded me as I'd forgotten!

Will see what I can come up with tomorrow - loco pics and any work I do. If not tomorrow, definitely by Friday. I'm definitely not showing photos of a bit of cork stuck down with evostik!

Jeff

Will see what I can come up with tomorrow - loco pics and any work I do. If not tomorrow, definitely by Friday. I'm definitely not showing photos of a bit of cork stuck down with evostik!

Jeff

Jeff :O you would make a dammed good POLITICIAN, :no: promises, :no:  :no:  promises, :no: :no: :no: promises. :nono:

Bodgit :sungum:

Jeff

It's only a day away!

• RMweb Premium

I reckon this wording 'cutting ballasting' probably means that he's really cutting (out) ballasting - well i'm wondering :scratchhead:  :jester:  :mail:

That's a good idea! I'll go and buy some of that Peco foam ballast instead.... it's SO realistic!

Anyway, whatever I do, if it's not up to standard it'll end up in the bin.

Jeff

I reckon this wording 'cutting ballasting' probably means that he's really cutting (out) ballasting - well i'm wondering :scratchhead:  :jester:  :mail:

He's probably decided to use Peco Foam underlay to keep he noise down whilst he sods off to watch Cricket. :scared: :scared:

In fact I bet that is where he is RIGHT NOW, :O  getting a fix of Willow and Leather, :no: or is that from the Girl down the road. :nono:  hahhaaa

Ouch Ouch NICE do it again :sungum: :sungum:

U POSTED THAT ABOVE AS i POSTED THE OTHER ABOVE, hahahahaa

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Andy.... you've finally made me realise what they mean by a "whip round"!!

Cricket.... I've been too busy hand-mixing another tonne or so of concrete and building another path.... The poor old bunker is getting neglected!

Nevermind, I DON'T feel guilty anymore (I used to). The Index stands testimony to what's been done in the last year!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nevermind, I DON'T feel guilty anymore (I used to). The Index stands testimony to what's been done in the last year!

Jeff

Hear Hear, again...

Compared to most folk, you have managed to do an awful lot in one year. (I'm not counting Bodgit as "most folk", he churns out layouts in his sleep!)

However, can I just say I for one would be most interested to see photos of the cork laying, if only to get an idea of the location and process.

Cheers,

Al

• RMweb Premium

Hi Al.

The first pic shows an old photo of the view into the branch bridge - the track has its original cork underlay. This was supposedly for sound deadening (not a problem in the bunker), but more because I find a cork base helps to smooth over any small bumps on the baseboard top:

post-13778-0-69654800-1373544485_thumb.jpg

Here is the same area, bridge removed and additional cork added at the sides of the original stuff:

post-13778-0-54333900-1373544524_thumb.jpg

This "graphic" sums it up!

post-13778-0-06620600-1373544529_thumb.jpg

The ballast and cess areas will be contained within the original cork layer. However, when I laid the original cork I'd no idea of the topography surrounding the track. I certainly hadn't thought about cuttings here! So, once the cuttings, bridge positions etc are known, the extra cork is simply fitted in to "level the ground"...

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

This post is for Michael! Here's the main line, with extra cork glued in (I use evostik - put the glue onto the baseboard and onto the cork, wait 10 mins and press together).

Come on Michael....can you spot the difference?

post-13778-0-13481000-1373544935_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-40385700-1373544941_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Having wiped the sleepers down to get some of the plaster off them, the track was sprayed with Howes "Rail Grime".

The first 2 pics show the branch - rail tops wiped down immediately after spraying!

post-13778-0-48405900-1373545255_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-74235300-1373545259_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-75300300-1373545263_thumb.jpg

The bunker has now been evacuated, with all doors left open, to allow the stench of solvent to dissipate!!!!

Jeff

• Like 6

All very impressive Mr G, I think the track colour looks good and I need to ask, is there a "cant / super elivation" on the curve? I like the extra cork and the cess, I don't think I will have much of that in my little station but I guess I might just as it leaves the station.

When you originally laid the cork, did you use PVA or the Evostic?

I will need two layers of Cork because of the fiddle yard but I am hoping to drop the goods yard down to one layer.

The pics have been a great help as I will soon be at the cork / track stage and it is good to get some close ups. I also need to have a look back at Jasons but he has not been around for a while so I will will also check out Gilberts and Tetleys.

Please keep the pics and step by steps coming mate they are really good.

Bodgit.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy.

I hoped to get some ballasting done today but the bunker smelt strongly of aerosol spray, so I went and did some gardening and then path building instead!

I'll be in the bunker before 7 in the morning and I'll get the first layer of ballast done on all the lines. I'll post pics of everything I do.

As for the cork, I used PVA to stick it down on the old layout and evostik on this one. I use the cork more as a surface smoothing device than a sound deadening one. I think that if you strongly attach cork to the baseboard using any adhesive the sound reduction gained is minimal.

Having to fit the extra bits of cork is a bit of a pain in that corner - it's tricky, but will look good once the ballast is in the track and on the cess. I'll probably put a bit of light vegetation onto the cork beyond the cess - I'll have a look at some old S&C pics for ideas.

I'm only ballasting the cutting area at the moment. The cutting continues on the station side of the bridges. Once they are fitted in place I can get to work on the rest of the cutting and the aqueduct. To think - I wasn't planning ANY of this in the corner - and I've now spent 3 months working on it!!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff I am looking forward to seeing the Ballast go down, are you just using a Grey mix?

Bodgit

Morning Andy.

I'm using Woodland Scenics Grey Blend Fine (2mm) for the track and WS Fine Cinders for the Cess area. 

Just about to go and start the process...

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, looking forward to the ballasting and hope you will have few shots for us by the end of the day. Did I see the "v" word in post 7342? This sounds very close to the "g" word that Andy is always on about, I just hope you have not raised his expectations too high.

On a personal front, the electrician gets into my loft on Monday to install power and lights!

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, looking forward to the ballasting and hope you will have few shots for us by the end of the day. Did I see the "v" word in post 7342? This sounds very close to the "g" word that Andy is always on about, I just hope you have not raised his expectations too high.

On a personal front, the electrician gets into my loft on Monday to install power and lights!

Morning Jonathan.

Good luck with the power and lighting - it'll be great when you are up and running. Your Midland layout will be a nice complement to the one that Alastair is currently building (Bakewell) and another project to follow!

Umm, I DID mention the "v" word, didn't I?! Fortunately, after looking through dozens of Dave's old pics, the majority of the area beyond the cess was kept V-free in the well-kept 60s S&C. So a spray of paint, some bits of ballast and a minimum of "v" might be in order!

Just put the first 40cm of ballast down - first layer - in the branch cutting. Pics to follow in ten mins when I've downloaded them off the camera. I'll see how it looks - probably do a top coat to deep-ballast the rail...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Here's what I've just done - all bog standard stuff, though I know some of you like the pics (so do I!!)...

post-13778-0-41705200-1373615578_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-19601000-1373615586_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-85799400-1373615591_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-56597800-1373615598_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-32347700-1373615603_thumb.jpg

This took about 30 minutes - I'll allow 2-3 hours for the PVA to set before hoovering off and considering a second layer.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure I would go deep ballast here, it's a branch so will have lower speeds. Infact I think you could of used ash instead of stone here Jeff.....

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Andy, I don't think the Midland would have done, the NER may be!

Yes, I've seen no evidence of ash used as main ballasting on the S&C photos I've looked at. But maybe my "sample" is skewed as it's nearly all main line related.

I'll be happy to keep to a lower ballast level here, though.... This process takes a fair bit of time.... See next post!

Jeff