Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I say the opposite Rob, forget the glamour and go for the mundane. Another thing mentioned tonight was that a lot of the photos taken were on summer Saturdays and therefore not really reflective of the day to day workings. Running nothing but 10 coach expresses would look daft in my opinion, and be totally wrong. It was hardly a premier line in the later period that Jeff is wishing to depict.

Very persuasive, but I have this irrational child-like calmness which pleases me when I see a Kitmaster spamcan.

I agree that a series of 10-coach express trains on KL would be most unsuitable.  I think with DCC we can now do much more satisfying slow movements of models too, combined with powered signals and points, all with slow-action solenoids, and kick-shunting onto back-shunts, groaning brakes, cylinder and other steam noises, and to me the best are diesel engine noises when an engine notches up with approximately suitable slow acceleration; you can almost feel the weight of the train behind.

Harder to get, in the sound department, and which I tried to do with my old layout, was to get the distant whistle and/or exhaust effect, rising to a crescendo as the express passed. I have never done much sound editing, and most of the proprietary sound editing programs I tried in 2008-9 were quite poor, and Microsoft is truly poor now, it was slightly better before they 'improved' it...  but that's another story. 

I shall dig out a version of my attempt(s) at passing trains shortly.

edit;

Rob

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

I say the opposite Rob, forget the glamour and go for the mundane. Another thing mentioned tonight was that a lot of the photos taken were on summer Saturdays and therefore not really reflective of the day to day workings. Running nothing but 10 coach expresses would look daft in my opinion, and be totally wrong. It was hardly a premier line in the later period that Jeff is wishing to depict.

As discussed previously, here and in the Lounge, it seems the majority of Lunesters prefer freight working to passenger. I certainly do.

So KL will be dominated by locos pulling wagons - though the occasional coach service will find its way there.

"Going for the mundane" is something I've learned only relatively recently.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Certainly my memories of the S & C in the 60's, which was the background to my teenage years, freight was very much in the majority with passenger workings in the minority, the Waverley and Thames Clyde plus the relatively sparse local service, plus the sleeper at night that I occaisionally heard.   As to freight the Long Meg trains were the backbone other than that a steady procession of 8F's. 4F's and black 5's.  One freight that was regular was ingot moulds to scottish steelworks.   These were 2 per bogie wagon placed over the bogies, often several wagons in a train.   Plenty of vans and also a lot of smaller army vehicles on flat wagons such as armoured cars, land rovers etc in either direction.

The one special set of passenger workings that I remember was the 'hogmanay' specials that took Scots back to Scotland for the New Year, usually hauled by Brits that we didn't normally see.  They were very rowdy heading north with people hanging out of the windows shouting but not a head to be seen on the way south.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

Rob, the Flying Pig is a must not only do they look the Dogs but they can be used on both Passenger and Freight, Any Ivatt has the real ugly looks that make it something different from the posh express Engines.

post-9335-0-37649500-1379489431_thumb.jpg

Lovely Work Horse. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Bodgit :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Definitely a lot of freight but it's important to not forget the local 2 or 3 coach passenger stopping services too and personally, I think they have just as much charm as the large expresses and look fantastic when 'lost' on a larger layout such as yours.

Excuse the state of the coaches here (they need work) but here is a quick rendition of a local passenger service on Bacup, using a Mickey Mouse 2-6-0 such as would have worked local passenger services on the S&C (according to my learned friends last night).

2mt024_zpsdc7bdaa9.jpg

Lovely little engines and you can probably find bargains out there. Avoid the green liveried one though as I *think* they were more used on the WR than the LMR (although I am happy to be corrected)

2mt019_zps8e08773b.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Jeff

Just a quick aside. Both 4F's and Ivatt 2MT's (either single or double-headed depending on the severity of the snowfall) were well regarded engines for snowplow duties on the S&C. Not strictly necessary (unless you develop a leaky roof) but it would make for an interesting, and rarely modelled cameo later in the build!

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Premium

That's coming along nicely, Jeff.

More like that and we'll all be coming along (here) nicely, too.

It's really beginning to take shape now. 

That in itself must be keeping you motivated and I guess your walling skills are second to none, now, with all that practice work gone into it.

Congratulations, Jeff. Really good stuff.

Polly

(no I'm not ill :tease:  :crazy:  :prankster:  just thought you could do with a bit of sensitivity from me for a change... :tender:   )

Hi Jeff, The wall looks good mate and I am impressed with the patience you have with walling and I am looking forward to seeing the development of the hut.

Just as a thought, will you be putting in a diagonal wall in from one of the lower walls up over the hill as I feel that the four corners meeting together in the middle of the hill looks a bit to square.  Maybe the same coming down to the front from another area may be good as well.

Please keep the pics coming I need some inspo :O

Gitbod :scared:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy.

There'll be a diagonal wall on the other side of the valley from the right side of the viaduct up towards the branch side of the station. But not on the existing Fell. To be honest, putting in another wall - being diagonal it'd be huge - would be a nightmare. The cross wall from aqueduct to viaduct is around 4 metres long. That equates to around 25 hours build time and I'd rather not repeat it - even though I'm clearly a masochist!

I need to start thinking about the development of the "hut". It's not going to be a barn, as that'd be out of context given what's on the Fell. But a delapidated cottage of sorts should be fun. Which reminds me, I'd better order some more DAS.

The 3F arrived today. What a beauty. Aside from the Bachmann Jubilee "Victoria" and the 2 A4s I've had on pre-order for months, that's it for steam for the mo. 2 x 40s and a 45 will be high on the agenda.

Jeff

• Like 1

I understand where you are coming from with the wall Jeff, and TBH I would not have attempted it, BUT I think it still needs an angle somewhere, so how about some bits of a broken one about 4 or 5 inches long in bits and pieces and with stones laying around coming out to the front at about 45 degrees or so.

Now you have a nice NEW 3F you need to chuck a bucket of GRIME over it, :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  hahahahha.

Duckit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

I understand where you are coming from with the wall Jeff, and TBH I would not have attempted it, BUT I think it still needs an angle somewhere, so how about some bits of a broken one about 4 or 5 inches long in bits and pieces and with stones laying around coming out to the front at about 45 degrees or so.

Now you have a nice NEW 3F you need to chuck a bucket of GRIME over it, :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  hahahahha.

Duckit :sungum:

The 3F was pre-weathered and Bachmann have done a reasonable job of it. Corresponds to between light and medium weathering on the TMC scale.

I'll put one of my infamous photo diagrams up in a minute re. the walling...

Jeff

The 3F was pre-weathered and Bachmann have done a reasonable job of it. Corresponds to between light and medium weathering on the TMC scale.

I'll put one of my infamous photo diagrams up in a minute re. the walling...

Jeff

Evening Jeff, that sounds like the second one that I bought, it came into a shop and I snapped it up.

I can't wait to see the pics on YOUR VIADUCT. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Come on Boss :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, now I understand better, will there be any wall or fence across above the Tunnel Moth?

Flogit :beee:

Yes, there'll be a fence above the tunnel. I'd be happy to put a wall in but it's pretty awkward to work on that area so a fence will be easier. Same at the other end above the cuttings.

We don't want low-flying sheep hurtling through the windows of a passing loco!!

And btw - this is all a WORK IN PROGRESS, so - as usual - I want your ideas and observations. 

Jeff

O.K. Jeff, you want MORE input, well one more observation is now that if you are putting a fence above BOTH tunnel mouths it will AGAIN look to regimental, :nono:  MAKE THEM OF A DIFFERENT MATERIAL. :O one stone or hedge and one fence. lots of shrubbery will also help.

Andy? :scratchhead:

that;s confused ME :beee:

Edited by Andrew P

Rob, the Flying Pig is a must not only do they look the Dogs but they can be used on both Passenger and Freight, Any Ivatt has the real ugly looks that make it something different from the posh express Engines.

attachicon.gifRM Ivatt Dry weathering 006.JPG

Lovely Work Horse. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

I just bought one.

They usually rode like dogs, although a few inexplicably rode well.

post-7929-0-54700300-1379536659.jpg

post-7929-0-20642700-1379536384.jpg

post-7929-0-12142000-1379536411.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Observations on the paths - and going on personal experience :haha:  

If you're having sheep, Jeff, don't forget to have some sheep paths in the longer grass / bracken / shrubby stuff with one or two leading off the main paths and disappearing to nothing or away from that gate / stile / road - confuses the odd walker or two....   :no2:  :umbrage:  :fie: .....aaaaaghhhhh...........

...........all quite natural.

Polly (Miss Chief)

I just bought one.

They usually rode like dogs, although a few inexplicably rode well.

attachicon.gifIvatt_4MT_2ab_r800.jpg

attachicon.gif$Ivatt_4MT_1a_r800.jpg

attachicon.gifIvatt_4MT_3a_r800.jpg

Rob that's nice, NO NO NO its very very very nice mate, lovely weathering and a nice bit of real coal.

Edited by Andrew P

Polly is right about sheep paths, they are an art form commensurate with the intellect of sheep...

actually I don't know whether I should bid on this Ivatt 2MT   it's not exactly exciting stuff but the weathering and modelling is nice..

post-7929-0-98995600-1379556489.jpg

edit, duly bought, you can buy it off me Jeff if you wish, a fair profit would be very minimal...

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Front steps are missing Rob, which could mean that they have been lost or that they are in the box but not weathered.worth considering when considering pressing the button.

Ivatt 2mt's are one of my favourite locos, real Jack of all trades.