Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

O.K. Jeff, you want MORE input, well one more observation is now that if you are putting a fence above BOTH tunnel mouths it will AGAIN look to regimental, :nono:  MAKE THEM OF A DIFFERENT MATERIAL. :O one stone or hedge and one fence. lots of shrubbery will also help.

Andy? :scratchhead:

that;s confused ME :beee:

I've been into the bunker to look over the "lay of the land".

There'll be no fences above either end now. It'd look wrong at the cutting end and Blea Moor tunnel has nothing above it - but vegetation. So the bit above the tunnel will have some scrub and undergrowth, no sheep and NO fence or tunnel.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Front steps are missing Rob, which could mean that they have been lost or that they are in the box but not weathered.worth considering when considering pressing the button.

Ivatt 2mt's are one of my favourite locos, real Jack of all trades.

You and Andy and now Rob.... blasted Ivatt 2MTs. I've seen photos of them on the S&C but until today I was ignoring them.

Hrmmmph..... I may need to buy one......  :O

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You NEED one Jeff, look how nice a 2 coach local passenger service is. KL needs it's stopping services and branch connections :)

I didn't think I NEEDED a 4F. I've now got 2.

I didn't think I NEEDED a 3F. I got one today.

Surely I don't NEED an Ivatt Mickey Mouse? I do. OK, I'll order one in a minute.........

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

Hi Jeff,

I go away for a week, and it's taken me the best part of two more to catch up!  Progress is still looking good.  I think you do need something above the tunnels - the photo's of Blea Moor tunnel may not show anything, but then it is forestry land around the tunnel mouth, you have open moor, which will have livestock, so you'll need something to stop them from sleeping on the track...

Front steps are missing Rob, which could mean that they have been lost or that they are in the box but not weathered.worth considering when considering pressing the button.

Ivatt 2mt's are one of my favourite locos, real Jack of all trades.

Well I bought it, 90 quid, have various other models with steps, or maybe they are in the box, I often just paint them on in pictures, so fragile are they, at least on Bulleids.

Speaking of which, in view of the occasional foray onto the Settle and Carlisle by Bulleids, or rebuilt ones,  here is how a Light Pacific does the business on the Long Drag.  If nothing else, these engines could make steam!

p.s. steps on this engine are real, my photo-shopped versions are usually better.  This is just a quick cynical re-use of my shed pic in the Lounge, but such scenes did presumably occur in various exchanges and more recent times.

post-7929-0-44247500-1379549866.jpg

and here, Jeff, is your Ivatt 4MT except I bought it first... I'm sure for a modest margin I could be persuaded to part with it...

post-7929-0-38467400-1379559228.jpg

post-7929-0-19484600-1379559299.jpg

a small management fee may apply

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

You and Andy and now Rob.... blasted Ivatt 2MTs. I've seen photos of them on the S&C but until today I was ignoring them.

Hrmmmph..... I may need to buy one......  :O

Jeff

Heh heh.    I always thought they were glorified steam kettles and mobile work-sheds for BR engine crews, with some slight use in moving a wagon or carriage occasionally.  But they did have a certain charm, and the Bachmann model is a good one.

Actually I think that the prices of models of this quality will rise a lot in the next few years, especially well-weathered steam and diesel models.

Do you already have a Stanier 2-6-4t? You probably need one of them too :D

Careful. We don't want Jeff to become a jabbering ruined bumbling husk of a man, wandering around with a spatula creating new and artistic sheep tracks in his slow-setting plaster fells....

There'll be no fences above either end now. It'd look wrong at the cutting end and Blea Moor tunnel has nothing above it - but vegetation. So the bit above the tunnel will have some scrub and undergrowth, no sheep and NO fence or tunnel.

Jeff

Wise move.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

I go away for a week, and it's taken me the best part of two more to catch up!  Progress is still looking good.  I think you do need something above the tunnels - the photo's of Blea Moor tunnel may not show anything, but then it is forestry land around the tunnel mouth, you have open moor, which will have livestock, so you'll need something to stop them from sleeping on the track...

Hi Michael. hope you enjoyed ploughing your way through KL over the last few days!

No problem with the fence etc.... as I said further up the page...

Jeff

I think a fence above the tunnel would look too artificial, so sheep will be off limits and vegetation will dominate!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Blimey, Rob!

I've just logged in - you've been a busy lad overnight - almost in "Bodgit class"!!

I like the photos of the Ivatt you've bought - the weathered coal in the tender is particularly effective. However, there are only so many locos a man can afford to buy, irrespective of need, so we'll just have to see what turns up.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update: More walling completed and I'm just about to make up another stock of DAS strips. Quite amazing how soon they get used up! I had 80, 2 days ago. now I've got 6!

I estimate 100 stone bricks - of varying sizes - per complete 10cm length of wall. So around 6000 stones laid so far. At least they aren't Rolling Stones - maybe that's why I sometimes can't get no Satisfaction!!  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

I'm also in the process of sorting out potential wagon sets for some of the trains I'll run. Good fun when you're not actually building anything.

And Jason and co. No, haven't got a Stanier 2-6-4T or the Ivatt. In time, my people!!!!!

Right, better get rolling some clay.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Observations on the paths - and going on personal experience :haha:  

If you're having sheep, Jeff, don't forget to have some sheep paths in the longer grass / bracken / shrubby stuff with one or two leading off the main paths and disappearing to nothing or away from that gate / stile / road - confuses the odd walker or two....   :no2:  :umbrage:  :fie: .....aaaaaghhhhh...........

...........all quite natural.

Polly (Miss Chief)

Quite right - plenty of misleading (sheep) tracks in the Lakes - as we found out last weekend. I didn't mind doing a bit of very slidy scree climbing as a result, but it terrified the whits out of my friend! And then we arrived at the "proper" path - a veritable motorway by comparison!

As for the sheep paths. I TRIED to infer these using different colour on the Fell. However, it doesn't really work too well, so a little surgery on the fell-tops will be necessary to gouge out some well-worn tracks. Associated rubble, too.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

In all honesty Jeff, rather than buying steam (a good thing) or diesel (a bad thing) locos, you'd be better off spending your hard earned on rolling stock for the ones you have to pull. Motive power is sexy but looks a bit odd with nothing in tow, especially on a layout of KL's size and calibre.

My recommendation would be to reallocate the cash you were thinking of spending on a diseasel to buying a ton of Parkside wagon kits. When you get into the flow, you can knock one together in an hour or so and it feels like a break from monotonous scenic tasks (it is what I do when gutters/painting cobbles/adding coping stones to miles of walls/you name it gets too much), they can look much finer than the RTR equivalent if you take care, it is really enjoyable building and painting them, and you have the satisfaction of watching a loco haul something you built.

The other option for buying something other than locos is coaches, and not just mk1's. Hornby's Stanier coaches are bloody lovely and I imagine the forthcoming Bachmann Portals are going to be lovely as well.

• Like 2

Hi Jeff and fellow Lunesters,

Still only managing an odd visit or two due to pressure of work but I was doing my usual catch-up on KL when (it may have been said before) I realised why your walls look so convincing Jeff. Its not the handmade aspect and pure lunacy that's gone into them - its the fact the spacing looks far more realistic than on most layouts where you find walls spaced closer together than the length of a BR Mk1 ! Please don't be tempted to fill the gaps its looks great as it is.

Keep up the lunacy errrrrm , good work.

The other option for buying something other than locos is coaches, and not just mk1's. Hornby's Stanier coaches are bloody lovely and I imagine the forthcoming Bachmann Portals are going to be lovely as well.

I agree Jason the Hornby Staniers are lovely, a third and brake third will go nicely with the Ivatt 2MT or 4MT., I have them in maroon or blood and custard..   But I'm doing SR stuff today so couldn't possibly comment on goods trains and other ordinary stuff.  The rumour that I'm buying a Bulleid Q1 is malicious gossip, there's no place for that around here (where it is wet, cold, and rather English November in atmosphere).

Jeff don't worry about buying more engines, any decent ones come along, I buy them.

why is my bank balance printed in red?

• RMweb Premium

Quite right - plenty of misleading (sheep) tracks in the Lakes - as we found out last weekend. I didn't mind doing a bit of very slidy scree climbing as a result, but it terrified the whits out of my friend! And then we arrived at the "proper" path - a veritable motorway by comparison!

As for the sheep paths. I TRIED to infer these using different colour on the Fell. However, it doesn't really work too well, so a little surgery on the fell-tops will be necessary to gouge out some well-worn tracks. Associated rubble, too.

Jeff

It sounds as if I should have posted sooner with a W A R N I N G, Jeff   :rtfm: 

Colour is easy - they leave a trail - quite thick in places where it's their only route... :mosking:

Muckypolly

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff and fellow Lunesters,

Still only managing an odd visit or two due to pressure of work but I was doing my usual catch-up on KL when (it may have been said before) I realised why your walls look so convincing Jeff. Its not the handmade aspect and pure lunacy that's gone into them - its the fact the spacing looks far more realistic than on most layouts where you find walls spaced closer together than the length of a BR Mk1 ! Please don't be tempted to fill the gaps its looks great as it is.

Keep up the lunacy errrrrm , good work.

Cheers Mike. And if you read my earlier post - at least 6000 stones so far - it IS sheer lunacy.

The least number of walls I can get away with, the better!

Don't work TOO hard. Your layout NEEDS YOU!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It sounds as if I should have posted sooner with a W A R N I N G, Jeff   :rtfm:

Colour is easy - they leave a trail - quite thick in places where it's their only route... :mosking:

Muckypolly

At least the sheep stuff is solid..... My walking boot treads are still filled - in places - with the "output" from the cows that wander near the Castlerigg stone circle. I'm hoping they'll clean themselves when I go walking this Saturday!

As for paths and tracks. The man-made ones are relatively easy to create. Animal paths often just need a hint in the vegetation...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I agree Jason the Hornby Staniers are lovely, a third and brake third will go nicely with the Ivatt 2MT or 4MT., I have them in maroon or blood and custard..   But I'm doing SR stuff today so couldn't possibly comment on goods trains and other ordinary stuff.  The rumour that I'm buying a Bulleid Q1 is malicious gossip, there's no place for that around here (where it is wet, cold, and rather English November in atmosphere).

Jeff don't worry about buying more engines, any decent ones come along, I buy them.

why is my bank balance printed in red?

If you are crazy enough to buy a Q1 then you deserve to be in the red. Not my favourite, despite their streamlined looks (!!!!!)

I'll be working on the rolling stock over the coming months.

Jeff

Rolling stock...   isn't that something which goes behind engines?  Never worry much about it myself.  But am fussy enough to try to keep brake vans correct for area and use. 

And put wagons in sets or singles suitably matched to likely operations.   Can get quite tricky for, say, a pick up goods.

If I buy a Q1 it will be because the model is excellent and they were a part of the age, and as to making wagon kits, where do people find the time?

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

I go away for a couple of days and suddenly the thread picks up, is it something I said/say???

Anyway, things are looking good. I don't know why but I was expecting the sheep fold to be circular, but it's still nice.

As for gates, please don't buy any rtp ones, as they won't look right with those walls! I would be tempted with three variants, the first being the oldest, no gates at all! If you wonder around long enough even today you will find fields with no gateways at all, the farmers take the walls down and drive the animals through and build them up again behind them.

Then i would try the pole gates. These have two upright stones with holes cut through them, in which poles are pushed to create a gate.

Finally i would go for one of those lovely angle iron gates that you still see in odd places. They have a X in the middle and tend to be quite narrow.... None of these modern 5 bar gates! ;-}

As for couplings I am tempted to now go 3 link, over the Sprat and winkles, although I've not tried them out yet. Cost wise SW's will be the cheapest solution.....

I agree with Jason about the wisest place to put your money is in wagon kits. You are going to need lots of them. I'd also be tempted with coaches, although I wouldn't buy too many portholes, they weren't that common! (Do you want a new unopened Hornby Stainer? I've got one I've never even got out of the postal packaging somewhere!). Also you'll need some of the early LMS/MR bogies (The old mainline/baccy ones are ok). Also look out for the old Airfix lms coaches, as they are pretty good too.

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Jeff

Jeff,

You probably know this but just a reminder.  When I went walking in the Peaks in 1976 the paths were worn grass but still grass.  When I was back there in 82 they had been worn down to the bare rock underneath.  I would think that paths in the 60s would be mainly worn grass as the number of walkers would have been fewer.