Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

You probably know this but just a reminder.  When I went walking in the Peaks in 1976 the paths were worn grass but still grass.  When I was back there in 82 they had been worn down to the bare rock underneath.  I would think that paths in the 60s would be mainly worn grass as the number of walkers would have been fewer.

Thanks Chris. A timely observation. I can't remember what the situation was in the 60s/70s, though I did walk up there in the 70s.

It's quite tricky showing a rendition of indented grass on a model - hence why I tried a bit of a colour change.

I'll redouble my efforts!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I go away for a couple of days and suddenly the thread picks up, is it something I said/say???

Anyway, things are looking good. I don't know why but I was expecting the sheep fold to be circular, but it's still nice.

As for gates, please don't buy any rtp ones, as they won't look right with those walls! I would be tempted with three variants, the first being the oldest, no gates at all! If you wonder around long enough even today you will find fields with no gateways at all, the farmers take the walls down and drive the animals through and build them up again behind them.

Then i would try the pole gates. These have two upright stones with holes cut through them, in which poles are pushed to create a gate.

Finally i would go for one of those lovely angle iron gates that you still see in odd places. They have a X in the middle and tend to be quite narrow.... None of these modern 5 bar gates! ;-}

As for couplings I am tempted to now go 3 link, over the Sprat and winkles, although I've not tried them out yet. Cost wise SW's will be the cheapest solution.....

I agree with Jason about the wisest place to put your money is in wagon kits. You are going to need lots of them. I'd also be tempted with coaches, although I wouldn't buy too many portholes, they weren't that common! (Do you want a new unopened Hornby Stainer? I've got one I've never even got out of the postal packaging somewhere!). Also you'll need some of the early LMS/MR bogies (The old mainline/baccy ones are ok). Also look out for the old Airfix lms coaches, as they are pretty good too.

Andy G

Andy - I'm going to scratchbuild the gates, so if you can find suitable pics of those gates, I'll take a look. I need to refer to some older photos of the fells to see what the prevalent gate-style was in the 50s/60s.

As for wagon kits/coaches - that's something for next year. I'll be needing some advice re. coaches as my knowledge of them is very sketchy. Mk1s, mk1s or mk1s has been my history!

Jeff

Better keep those gates closed for the passage of this train, Bulleid conquering The Long Drag with sustained power, and we wouldn't want to scare the sheep.

This is my personal imaginary locomotive exchange, since Bulleid Pacifics always did quite well on sustained power, in fact it was their greatest strength, they could make steam going uphill at speed, and not enough work for them on the Southern Region...

Must have been unrecorded engine exchange around 1962. I was only 11 then so probably didn't appreciate it....

post-7929-0-32105500-1379654082.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, being a secondary mainline the S&C would have to make do with older coaching stock handed down from the primary mainline. You'll need Stanier stuff, pre-Stanier LMS and older Midland stock. And you'll probably need LMS non-corridor as well for the branch. Like the LMS, the LMR ran mostly a rag-bag of formations, so you could have Midland, LMS periods 1,2 and 3 and Mk1 stock all on the same train!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, being a secondary mainline the S&C would have to make do with older coaching stock handed down from the primary mainline. You'll need Stanier stuff, pre-Stanier LMS and older Midland stock. And you'll probably need LMS non-corridor as well for the branch. Like the LMS, the LMR ran mostly a rag-bag of formations, so you could have Midland, LMS periods 1,2 and 3 and Mk1 stock all on the same train!

Thanks for the info. I'll have to do a bit of research when the time comes to stock up with suitable coaches. The only coaching stock I have at the moment are Bachmann Mk1s in Maroon and "Blood and Custard". Coaches are something I've never really "got into", so a bit of guidance is always helpful!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

For the ex LMS non-corridor, the Dapol ones are as cheap as chips and not too bad, although you'll need to replace the wheels (Hornby ones are good, and cheap). I'm popping Shawplan flush lazer glaze windows in mine but it's a swine of a job.......

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info. I'll have to do a bit of research when the time comes to stock up with suitable coaches. The only coaching stock I have at the moment are Bachmann Mk1s in Maroon and "Blood and Custard". Coaches are something I've never really "got into", so a bit of guidance is always helpful!

Jeff

I see some investment coming Comet Models way in the not too distant future, and yes Jeff, coach building is well within your capabilities, but build some plastic wagon kits first. Seriously though, have a look at BR S&C train formations in your books to see what you might need.

Jeff

You should have built a Steam Depot Jeff, No coaches OR SHEEP to worry about, hahhahaha

The Bodgit is back, hahhaha :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris. A timely observation. I can't remember what the situation was in the 60s/70s, though I did walk up there in the 70s.

It's quite tricky showing a rendition of indented grass on a model - hence why I tried a bit of a colour change.

I'll redouble my efforts!

Jeff

Jeff,

Colour change will be fine, just not down to the rock.  Darker green rather than lighter?  Bit of brown?

(If you went up Snowden it was a rocky track in the 70s.  Now it is a concreted highway with steps!  Well, depending on which route you take.)

• RMweb Premium

Once again, apologies for the apparent lack of action. I can't build walls as fast as Bodgit can build layouts!

Another visit to the Lakes tomorrow, the new supply of DAS is ordered and, hopefully, with a bit of inspiration, I can start cutting the ply frame for the run-down cottage early next week.

Andy's house-move (or non-move, more like it) goes to emphasise how lucky some of us are to be able to get on with building or just run a loco or two.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

A few mundane walling pics to chronicle progress.

I'm nearing the viaduct!

Then there's the other side of the valley to do...... Oh well.....

post-13778-0-13055000-1379702752_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-92841800-1379702761_thumb.jpg

and an "arty", low angle shot...

post-13778-0-48300200-1379702775_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I don't know, Jeff.

All those hours walling and photos and where is everyone.....?

Hel........lo..........o.......

Coooooooooooo.........eeeeeeeeeeeeeee............

Lunester town cryer

• RMweb Premium

I don't know, Jeff.

All those hours walling and photos and where is everyone.....?

Hel........lo..........o.......

Coooooooooooo.........eeeeeeeeeeeeeee............

Lunester town cryer

Thanks Polly. You can be my "rent-a-mob"!

Very quiet, but not surprising - I've not done anything new for a while. Still, I'm not going to rush this - it has to be done properly (meaning to the best of my ability).

Anyway, off to bed now. Up at 4 for another saunter in the Lakes. This time it's a wander round Buttermere. So there'll be more pics tomorrow - though I'm expecting plenty of cloud over there.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, by the time you read this it will either be over breakfast or when you get home. either way I hope you enjoy/ed it and now please get on with the walls as we want to see the shed/barn/cottage/shack/hut/stye/ruin, ASAP. ahahhaa

Bodgit. :sungum:

Oh and tell Polly I WILL BE BACK. :O :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

• RMweb Premium

More inspirational - to me anyway - pics of the wonderful Lakeland landscape.

This is from the ascent of Haystacks near Buttermere. The wonderful views of Ennerdale, Pillar, Gable etc from the top were non-existent due to the persistent cloud base at around 1800 feet. However, a great time was had....

post-13778-0-68680300-1379779226_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-07051600-1379779230_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-17608800-1379779234_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-73010100-1379779240_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-90080100-1379779246_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Lovely Pics Jeff. We do like walking on moors admittedly Exmoor is a bit more tame than the Lakes. We were walking over Wrynose and Hardknot  and Marion sprained her ankle btween the two. Then the rain came down she struggled up Hardknot. The I heard a distant whisle - Ratty and dragged her along for the chance of an easy ride the rest of the way down. We hope to go back there is a campsite nearby been meaning to go back for the last 40 years! If you like those sort of places no wonder you can capture the fells.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Don.

There will be some people who don't like the almost minimal ruggedness of the Lakeland Fells and the similar environs of the S&C. But they appeal to me. Even with a bit of cloud around, the landscape is spectacular and the stone-walling is something to behold. I know my efforts have taken a while, but the prototype is huge in extent and exquisitely built!

The ubiquitous sheep are a godsend - without them the landscape would be very different.

No modelling tonight. A good meal and a lazy evening for me!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And here I was enjoying the well known West Yorkshire beauty spots of Bradford and Wakefield. With apologies to anybody on here who is from those cities. At least your cathedrals are worth a visit.

I like that arty low-angle shot, Jeff.

Morning Jeff, I hope we find you well after a day out pretending to be a Mountain Goat, do you need to borrow my walking stick this morning? Or maybe you have a massage planned :O  that you are keeping stum about, :nono:  :nono:  hahahaha.

NOW I HAVE AN IDEA :scratchhead:  it was actually about 4am this morning but I couldn't be arsse* to switch me Flip Flop on.

Here it is, it may not help you as it is probably too late BUT it may help some other poor soul on here who intends to massatisticly :declare:  (is that a word?) build stone walls.

You make the DAS strips as you are doing now, but you have a big jar or tin of dirty thinners, once you have broken the DAS into the little bits you put them into the thinners for a few moments, (to begin with you will need to judge the length of time in the thinners by trial and error). Then you sieve them out saving the thinners for the next batch, you then have PRE COLOURED ROCKS. 

Brilliant init Boss :no: , I wish I could give it a try myself but if you tried the first batch that you use on the other side of the room then if it worked it would NOT look odd as it would be away from the first white stones. :scratchhead:

Polly and Ray have made me an offer which I need to have a serious look at, (we are talking model railways here) if it can be seriously considered then I will need to make a plan, (now that in itself would be a novelty), I am not sure yet as so far this morning only the the left eye has opened, once the other one comes around then the brain will work.

Good luck with the days wall making, and if you give my method a try and it works then the usual royalties will apply.  :locomotive: 

Bodgit :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning Andy.

That's not a bad idea. The DAS bits, once cut from the strip and immersed in some kind of colouring, would then have to be allowed to dry before use. So a few made-up batches would allow normal service to be resumed. 

I already colour the PVA - various grey tones, depending on how much acrylic I drop into it. And painting with an acrylic was works well. It can be tricky painting the backs, though.

I'll try this out when I start the walling on the other side of the valley.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Great pics Jeff, looks like YOU may need some more rocks strewn about the place as well.

Catch up again tomorrow.

Bodgit. P.S. glad you enjoyed the walk. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

That will certainly be the case near the stream. The fells around the railway tend to be mostly grassy - unlike the hills in the Lake District. However, there will be debris scattered near the walls, bits of collapsed walling and some fine rocky bits (ballast consistency and a little bigger) near any (human, not cattle) paths I add in.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Impressive land Jeff, enjoy the meal  and the evening, I like the last pic.

Rob  (where it is wet, cool and misty too)

Ironically, Rob, it was clear and sunny there on Friday. And it's fairly sunny there today.

So the day I could go over, the mist descended. Still, it's good experience walking and scrambling in different conditions. It adds to the excitement when there's a chance of walking off a cliff!

Jeff