Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info. I'll have to do a bit of research when the time comes to stock up with suitable coaches. The only coaching stock I have at the moment are Bachmann Mk1s in Maroon and "Blood and Custard". Coaches are something I've never really "got into", so a bit of guidance is always helpful!

Jeff

I've been doing a spot of timetable delving and the first thing I would say is 'don't forget the sleeping cars'  there still being a sleeper service over the S&C in 1960 of course.  The services listed below are those running in the Summer of 1960 and are only the advertised services.  I doubt if there were many unadvertised/local ecs trains although I would think that something might have run from Carlisle to form the 07.34 off Appleby and similarly possibly a back working from Appleby off the 19.03 arrival.  

Incidentally the Garsdale terminators were a legacy of the Hawes branch connections/through services.

As far as local trains were concerned the main point is that in reality there were hardly any!  In the Down direction they were as follows on weekdays -

06.23 All Stations Hellifield - Garsdale, arr 07.18  (formed the 07.35 Garsdale).

07.34 All Stations Appleby West - Carlisle

11.56 All S&C Stations Hellifield - Carlisle arr 14.13 (probably formed off the 10.31 arrival at Hellifield?)

13.16 All Stations Skipton - Garsdale arr 14.45, ran 20 minutes later on Saturdays)

15.40 All S&C Stations Bradford Forster Sq - Carlisle, arr 1929.

Up Trains

07.35 All Stations Garsdale - Hellifield arr 08.20)

08.05 All Stations Carlisle - Hellifield arr 10.31

16.40 All Stations Garsdale - Hellifield arr 17.23

16.37 All S&C Stations Carlisle - Bradford F Sq arr 20.45

18.05 Carlisle - Appleby West arr 19,03, ran 1 hour later on Sats.

Hope this will be useful.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much, Mike. I think when the time comes to sort out potential coaching stock I'll be in touch with you!

If I have a sleeper coach does that mean I have to invest in dimmer switches in the bunker to turn the lights down to simulate the onset of dusk!!

Needless to say, I'm walling at the moment. If I don't maintain the relentless pace on the walls they'll never get done. I suppose that's a truism of modelling. 

Jeff

Yes Jeff, lets see the walls, walls we want walls.

In actual fact we don't, we want Station Buildings, Goods Yards working, and the road traffic in the town, that's after you have built the Houses and fitted all the Curtains, Guttering, Drainpipes, and the like.

I think its pics time again Jeff. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Bodgit :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much, Mike. I think when the time comes to sort out potential coaching stock I'll be in touch with you!

If I have a sleeper coach does that mean I have to invest in dimmer switches in the bunker to turn the lights down to simulate the onset of dusk!!

Needless to say, I'm walling at the moment. If I don't maintain the relentless pace on the walls they'll never get done. I suppose that's a truism of modelling. 

Jeff

You might want fairly complete darkness for winter time Jeff!  The Down train (9.00pm from St Pancras) called at Appleby at 04.16 so a good way from dawn for much of the year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You might want fairly complete darkness for winter time Jeff!  The Down train (9.00pm from St Pancras) called at Appleby at 04.16 so a good way from dawn for much of the year.

You'll need a good sound chip for the Brit's hooter on the sleeper.  It was the backdrop tro some of my nights.  I never remember seeing the train but have memories of hearing the southbound in the middle of the night.  Mind you with it being so dark you only need to play the soundtrack as no one will be able to see the train, just have a virtual sleeper, and intersperse it with the sound of a hard slogging 8F going north.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You'll need a good sound chip for the Brit's hooter on the sleeper.  It was the backdrop tro some of my nights.  I never remember seeing the train but have memories of hearing the southbound in the middle of the night.  Mind you with it being so dark you only need to play the soundtrack as no one will be able to see the train, just have a virtual sleeper, and intersperse it with the sound of a hard slogging 8F going north.

Jamie

Jamie, I can arrange that as my 70040 has a sound chip on board. 

The Lunesters on here will be wanting almost zero lights, scale length trains, sound effects and the express thundering through KL - all on video....

Erm. Freights will be my priority anyway!

Nice memories, Jamie.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jamie, I can arrange that as my 70040 has a sound chip on board. 

The Lunesters on here will be wanting almost zero lights, scale length trains, sound effects and the express thundering through KL - all on video....

Erm. Freights will be my priority anyway!

Nice memories, Jamie.

Jeff

Better memories than the ice on the inside of the steel framed windows in pre central heating days,but the sound of hard working trains in the night was the soundtrack to my childhood and to this day I only need to here trains when I'm in a hotel room to fall asleep instantly.  Where we lived in Giggleswick we could see 2 miles of the long drag from south of settle station to the langcliffe area and from my brothers bedroom we could see the Morecambe line between Giggleswick and Settle Junction. However there were very few street lights in the area in those days (59 to 71) so I thin k you could get away with the virtual train.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

The other thing you need is some moveable cows.   When there was going to be good weather the cows were up at the top of Attermire (opposite our house) but if they were down near the line we knew that bad weather was on the way.  They usually ended up in the lee of a wall.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Better memories than the ice on the inside of the steel framed windows in pre central heating days,but the sound of hard working trains in the night was the soundtrack to my childhood and to this day I only need to here trains when I'm in a hotel room to fall asleep instantly.  Where we lived in Giggleswick we could see 2 miles of the long drag from south of settle station to the langcliffe area and from my brothers bedroom we could see the Morecambe line between Giggleswick and Settle Junction. However there were very few street lights in the area in those days (59 to 71) so I thin k you could get away with the virtual train.

Jamie

Very true Jamie - going over the top on the S&C was one of those places where there was little or no artificial light - only signal lamps and very occasional buildings.  Mind you the darkest I have ever seen is on the West Highland Extension - there it could be just plain pitch black, not a single glimmer of light on a cloudy night.

• RMweb Premium

The other thing you need is some moveable cows.   When there was going to be good weather the cows were up at the top of Attermire (opposite our house) but if they were down near the line we knew that bad weather was on the way.  They usually ended up in the lee of a wall.

Jamie

Now that's a useful piece of information! Surprised nobody has mentioned it before. Of course, the sun always shines on KL so the cows will always be up at the top!

May seem a stupid question, but I presume the cows were in a lower field, segregated from the sheep (which could wander where they like)?

This may open up a 3 page discussion on Farming Practice in the 1960s!!

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

On the subject of 'sleepers' I have a book which states that in 1965 the St Pancras-St Enoch (latterly Central) and return working featured a single 1st class sleeper and two 2nd class but the equivalent Edinburgh working (1963) featured one of each.

Good excuse to get some Hornby models before they sell out!

• RMweb Gold

Very good information Mike. Unless you are running to a timetable and need twilight or dawn there is no need for dimmers. Just have a sleeper train and a freight with working lights (some carriage lights will show even if the blinds are down in the sleeper car, headlamps and tail lamps on the freight) perhaps a childs nightlight to give the effect of moonlight and you can run night services for a while. It would be a novelty but for normal use you want to actually see the trains running in all that lovely scenery you are creating.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hee hee.....

All these "atmospheric" suggestions sound wonderful. Cows mooing at the top of the field as a Brit hurtles by with its fleet of carriages. The dimmed-down halogen lamp shines like the full moon as Jeff scurries around in the gloom trying to find which bl**dy switch is which before "The Great 1966 Kirkby Luneside Sleeping Car disaster" takes place!!

Meanwhile, in true Bodgit fashion, the pre-dawn shunter works in the yard and the paperboy takes time - before his round - to spot 70040....before she derails!

Sorry, couldn't resist. No doubt Ali and Mankini Man would be in there too....

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Hee hee.....

All these "atmospheric" suggestions sound wonderful. Cows mooing at the top of the field as a Brit hurtles by with its fleet of carriages. The dimmed-down halogen lamp shines like the full moon as Jeff scurries around in the gloom trying to find which bl**dy switch is which before "The Great 1966 Kirkby Luneside Slleping Car disaster" takes place!!

Meanwhile, in true Bodgit fashion, the pre-dawn shunter works in the yard and the paperboy takes time - before his round - to spot 70040....before she derails!

Sorry, couldn't resist. No doubt Ali and Mankini Man would be in there too....

Jeff

Jeff,

When my sister lived in Plymton opposite the now disappeared marshalling yard I went to sleep to the sound of an 08 shunting late into the night.

I would keep away from the cows though as I assume that they would be lower down and you are right, there would be long correspondence about the type and colour.  Never seen a cow up a mountain but I suppose there must be a first time.

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday, Ray played a short video he took on our holiday of The Fellsman going South through Kirkby Spephen (in the rain, by the way) and, as it came over the road bridge towards the station, I noticed that the sheep turned en masse and fled which made me think:

Sheep near the line on KL could be heading in the opposite direction (don't know whether they do 4mm running sheep) while others further away could be quietly minding their own business as usual.  Just a thought.

Woolly Lune

You will need a 'house cow' or two around your stationmaster's house but none on those hills.

Think sheep should also be sparingly placed, and in small groups near shelter, none of this random grazing, spotted every few inches, as static animals somehow look odd to my eye when here there and everywhere.

Doing a weathered A3 today...  Coronach a Carlisle engine?  oh no, wait, it's Ladas, which must have been purloined by Carlisle unrecorded...

They never cleaned their engines, Carlisle,so hard to tell at first.

post-7929-0-03722800-1379882851.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Even if the sun is shining the cows could be lower down as they seemed to know about changes in the weather before the Home Service weather forecasters in those days.  The cows on Attermire above Settle were free to roam on the first two fields so could get quite high up.  The sheep tended to be higher up except in the lambing season (May) when they would be down near the line.  Cows by then were usually black and white friesans and most had beeen de horned by then.  (A vet who attended our chapel apparently hated the job of de horning them according to by best mate who was a farmers son.)

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

"...to spot 70040....before she derails! Sorry, couldn't resist. No doubt Ali and Mankini Man would be in there too...."

Don't forget our gorgeous Julia! Probably what distracted the driver in the first place! :O :o :O :o :O

Bill

I think she's a bit like Brigadoon... only appears for one day every hundred years!

• RMweb Premium

"...to spot 70040....before she derails! Sorry, couldn't resist. No doubt Ali and Mankini Man would be in there too...."

Don't forget our gorgeous Julia! Probably what distracted the driver in the first place! :O :o :O :o :O

Bill

Bill - Julia did a couple of series of Wainwright Walks, following in the steps of the great rambler. The first, from about 2008, was up to Haystacks, following the exact route I went yesterday. I happen to have that programme still recorded on the Sky box and watched it today. She is indeed gorgeous.....

Scott - don't spoil it!

Polly - I will remember to turn the nearer sheep away from the loco and I'll play Bach's Cantata "And sheep may safely graze" after the loco has passed!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update - on affairs currently affecting KL!!

I have reached the viaduct with the cross wall and started on the task of joining the cross wall to the ascending wall (featured starting page 337). However, I've run out of DAS strips so I'm about to make another batch - they'll be dry by lunchtime tomorrow.

For general information....To date I've used about 1.8kg of DAS on the walling bricks and produced around 6000 of them. A little bit of DAS goes a long way. 

Thought that might be useful if anyone else is MAD ENOUGH TO BUILD WALLS LIKE THIS!! (I strongly recommend the method).

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

So back to walls then Jeff, :no:  :no:  :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  hahahhaha

Agh the sweet smell of Cow Sh1t :stinker:

anyone got a shovel Boss? :nono:

I thought things were just a little TOO quiet.... now I realise why!

Evening Andy. Yes - my favourite walls! I've even been dreaming about the bloomin' things!

I think I'm in need of a good running session...

Jeff

I thought things were just a little TOO quiet.... now I realise why!

Evening Andy. Yes - my favourite walls! I've even been dreaming about the bloomin' things!

I think I'm in need of a good running session...

Jeff

Try up the Mountain after a certain Miss J. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :stinker: :stinker:

hahhahahhahaaahheeeeeee

Bodge :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

I think she's a bit like Brigadoon... only appears for one day every hundred years!

Just be careful a Brit did derail near Settle in a blizzard working the soutbound sleeper.  I can't remember which one it was but saw the aftermath the morning after.

Jamie