Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

About the 21st. January 1960 service hauled by 70052, I posted this on 1st. Feb. You may be interested:

"It might be inappropriate to model this exact, doomed service as I believe that it may have been the cause of the last major, fatal accident on the S&C. It was the 21.05 ex Glasgow and, sensing something amiss, the driver stopped at Garsdale in the early hours of the 22nd. to examine his locomotive. He somehow failed to notice that major components of the right-hand slidebar assembly were missing and decided to continue on to St. Pancras.

At Settle, the right-hand connecting rod, having been unrestrained by slidebars for some time, finally broke free from the piston rod and its little-end flailed the 'six foot' and adjacent down line on which a goods train was approaching. This down train was derailed and ploughed into the sleeper service killing five passengers."

Depressing stuff.

Cheers,

BR(W).

• RMweb Premium

Polly - I will remember to turn the nearer sheep away from the loco and I'll play Bach's Cantata "And sheep may safely graze" after the loco has passed!!

Jeff

Ah.  That brings back memories...of music teachers and school choirs....didn't have sheep round our way - cows, horses, pigs...and music teachers.  Sheep? No.

Growing up, I only had memories of Welsh ones from an early visit.  Oh....and Larry the Lamb!

Now I'm in Wales I see plenty but I'm no expert.  I only report on what I've seen - now whether that's typical, or not, I couldn't necessarily guarantee.

Anyway, it seems it's time I should be counting them thar sheep..... er...1.....  :lazy:

Look forward to more progress tomorrow later today.

Polly

I was going to mention Bach's music but thought that it might be mentioned anyway.... it's quite nice when you can get you head into pre-Beethoven. 

Brahms of course is the unquestioned pinnacle of musical glory.

Sad about that accident, it's not one I remembered.

Rob (still on bedrest, drowned in new weathered models)

new pic in Lounge

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info. lads. I, too, wasn't aware of the accident involving the Brit.

As for music. You'll find everything from heavy rock through to Bach, Beethoven, Bruckner and Shostakovich playing in the bunker. And - for Rob - Brahms 4 is splendid....you have to have Carlos Kleiber conducting it, an absolute legendary recording!

DAS strips partly dry. Should be usable in 5-6 hours. Time for a bit of reading and a good perusal on here.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've had enough of walling for now. There is still a lot to do, but it's time to have a break and do something else....

Here's a collection of pics I've just taken showing the current walling situation. Yes, you've seen some of it previously - so look away now!!

post-13778-0-73119500-1379955464_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-30579800-1379955471_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-98083200-1379955541_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-98307400-1379955578_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-69226800-1379955586_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

It is quite brave Jeff to give over such a large area to a scene with no trains in view but to me that caprture the spirit of the S&C a magnificent railway but still dwarfed by the scale of the landscape. It captures the essential emptiness of the fells.

Don

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Just love those inspirational fells you are creating but I am not surprised you intend to have a break from it for a while, careful now you may not meet the lunacy status if this continues!

On the subject of diffused lighting and the like it reminded me when I was about 14 and at the time my layout took up almost all of my bedroom (I was a deprived child) anyway my elder cousin had the great idea of putting lights into the buildings and he supplied 100 of those 2.5volt Bacolite bulb holders which had the screw-in bulbs and he wired them up and they looked fantastic............that was until a few weeks later when I pressed the slide-switch on the cable and also being Bacolite cracked and I ended up holding the wires!!!!! Problem was ....... the dipstick wired them in series to the mains and that was 15Amp back then, I was the one lit up like a Christmas tree. My poor old Dad ran in pulled the plug then ripped out all the wires there and then, Cousin was severely ranted at!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mike - reading that last post of yours I wonder who is the lunatic!!

That arrangement sounds lethal. amazing what we do when we're young. Then again, it's only those that survive who live to tell the cautionary tale!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jason, Don, Andy....

Many thanks for your positive comments. As Jason is aware, the Fell was built to a scale to allow the fiddle yard to be totally out of sight and of a suitable size. Method in the madness. But I love scenic modelling, so I couldn't resist!

I'll be having a break away from the bunker later in the week. Time to go to dad's for a few days. However, I intend to start work on that run-down cottage tomorrow. So I may take the ply, PVA, DAS and a few tools with me!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jason, Don, Andy....

Many thanks for your positive comments. As Jason is aware, the Fell was built to a scale to allow the fiddle yard to be totally out of sight and of a suitable size. Method in the madness. But I love scenic modelling, so I couldn't resist!

I'll be having a break away from the bunker later in the week. Time to go to dad's for a few days. However, I intend to start work on that run-down cottage tomorrow. So I may take the ply, PVA, DAS and a few tools with me!

Jeff

I was aware the fiddle yard was underneath but most modellers would not have been able to resist running a branch or similar along the edge of the fell which would have lost the feeling of emptyness.. The same would have been true of plastering it with cottages or pubs. I was on a special trip Class 45 powered over the S&C in January a total whiteout we stopped briefly for a photoshoot at Garsdale Even from  the station there were few buildings to be seen.  The roar of a 45 working hard through Blea Moor was quite impressive even to a confirmed steam fan. The trip back down was via Shap which seemed tame in comparison (still great scenery though). I must admit this is making me think about trying to achieve the feeling of space through my planned 0 gauge layout inspired by the Mawddach estuary.

Don

Jeff - slightly daft question... are you able to get a photo of the fell from behind, showing the internals, and the tracks it is covering?  The sadist in me always likes to see the behind-the-scenes stuff (in this case, literally) to get a feel for how it is all coming together. 

Cheers

Scott

Lovely stuff Jeff! I'm seriously impressed with the sense of space and grandeur you're creating.

On the subject of realism and cows (?) I've been working on a small collection of farm buildings for Slitheroe, during the course of which I posed a question elsewhere about the relevant methods of modelling the end results of all that grazing by cows and horses (i.e. the stuff you usually step in unexpectedly!). The answer came from a certain Mr. Downe's with the result that I am now competent in the realistic modelling of same! So when you're ready.....

For Andy's information it comes totally without smell, but if you insist I could work on it! :no: :no: :no:

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was aware the fiddle yard was underneath but most modellers would not have been able to resist running a branch or similar along the edge of the fell which would have lost the feeling of emptyness.. The same would have been true of plastering it with cottages or pubs. I was on a special trip Class 45 powered over the S&C in January a total whiteout we stopped briefly for a photoshoot at Garsdale Even from  the station there were few buildings to be seen.  The roar of a 45 working hard through Blea Moor was quite impressive even to a confirmed steam fan. The trip back down was via Shap which seemed tame in comparison (still great scenery though). I must admit this is making me think about trying to achieve the feeling of space through my planned 0 gauge layout inspired by the Mawddach estuary.

Don

Don, the only other man-made structure on the Fell will be the derelict "cottage/shelter" I'll start planning today. Derelict being the word! It will be my first introduction to the world of DAS stone-scribing and the lack of windows and doors should make things easier!

At a size of around 12cm x 7cm it shouldn't clutter up the Fell too much.

This is where it'll be placed....

post-13778-0-22754700-1380008004_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

If you've neve done DAS stone scribing I may be able to give you a few tips.  I used it to create the bridges and stone walls on Long Preston and am using again on Lancaster. 

1.  Do the research and get an idea of the pattern you want to create.

2.  Roll out some DAS on a glass plate I usually used a sheet about 2mm thick.  About 3" by 3" was the most I could do before it started drying out at the edges.

3.  Glue it onto the former (Cardboard usually) with PVA.

4.  Mark out quickjly with a sharp cocktail stick roughly what the pattern is you want to create, doors, windows etc.

5.  Then using a slightly rounded off cocktail stick, or the wooden tip of a small paintbrush. roll it round the edge of each stone.  It goes quicker than you think.This raises each stone to give it depth and feel.

6.  Tidy up the joints and.

7.  Leave to dry then brush with a toothbrush to clean it.

Hope this isn't trying to teach my grandmother to suck egss but the effort is worth it.  I've got quite  alot of viaduct arches to do on green Ayre and will probably be soing some as  a demo at Warley.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff - slightly daft question... are you able to get a photo of the fell from behind, showing the internals, and the tracks it is covering?  The sadist in me always likes to see the behind-the-scenes stuff (in this case, literally) to get a feel for how it is all coming together. 

Cheers

Scott

Scott, hopefully something in this collection may suffice - let me know!

post-13778-0-48373500-1380008859_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-01356600-1380008864_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-04911400-1380008873_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-66177300-1380008877_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-30866500-1380008885_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-75116400-1380008889_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-73330000-1380008894_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-54527000-1380008899_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-09607800-1380008906_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

If you've neve done DAS stone scribing I may be able to give you a few tips.  I used it to create the bridges and stone walls on Long Preston and am using again on Lancaster. 

1.  Do the research and get an idea of the pattern you want to create.

2.  Roll out some DAS on a glass plate I usually used a sheet about 2mm thick.  About 3" by 3" was the most I could do before it started drying out at the edges.

3.  Glue it onto the former (Cardboard usually) with PVA.

4.  Mark out quickjly with a sharp cocktail stick roughly what the pattern is you want to create, doors, windows etc.

5.  Then using a slightly rounded off cocktail stick, or the wooden tip of a small paintbrush. roll it round the edge of each stone.  It goes quicker than you think.This raises each stone to give it depth and feel.

6.  Tidy up the joints and.

7.  Leave to dry then brush with a toothbrush to clean it.

Hope this isn't trying to teach my grandmother to suck egss but the effort is worth it.  I've got quite  alot of viaduct arches to do on green Ayre and will probably be soing some as  a demo at Warley.

Jamie

Cheers Jamie. It certainly isn't. I've always used Slaters to face my structures, but fancied a change for this project. I was motivated back into modelling many years ago by the DAS-built structures on Dave Shakespeare's original masterpiece "Tetleys Mills".

I'm away for a few days but I'll show the usual batch of pics - disasters and all! We all learn by mistakes - and I've made plenty of them!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Jamie. It certainly isn't. I've always used Slaters to face my structures, but fancied a change for this project. I was motivated back into modelling many years ago by the DAS-built structures on Dave Shakespeare's original masterpiece "Tetleys Mills".

I'm away for a few days but I'll show the usual batch of pics - disasters and all! We all learn by mistakes - and I've made plenty of them!!

Jeff

I'll try and dig out a few photos of the end results.  I've got one arch of the removable viaduct on Green Ayre done but not painted.  I might do some as a demot this weekend at Gildersome Show.  If you're interested I'll post them.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

That'll do very nicely -  I was curious how it all fitted in behind the scenes.

Very good - thanks for posting!

Cheers

Scott

Glad to be of service.

I just dug this picture out... this was Sept 22 last year. Planning the yard - using Peco geometry points and track.

In the end, it all became Marcway turnouts and SMP.

post-13778-0-60116500-1380011771_thumb.jpg

Photo serves to show how much has been achieved in a year. We often get so embroiled in detail that we forget how much progress we are making!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'll try and dig out a few photos of the end results.  I've got one arch of the removable viaduct on Green Ayre done but not painted.  I might do some as a demot this weekend at Gildersome Show.  If you're interested I'll post them.

Jamie

My philosophy in this thread is that anything relevant, helpful, encouraging etc that can relate to the S&C or KL is very welcome here.

If you want to post the photos re. DAS, please do. If you're not sure it's relevant in KL, stick them in the Lounge.

There's an active group of, maybe, 20 or so posters (Lunesters) and the support and encouragement offered around is very inspirational. It's kept me going, almost non-stop, for the last 18 months!

Jeff

Morning Jeff, I have just had a gander at the pickies above and it is a BIG WOW, I didn't realize you had room to get behind the F/Y. 

Impressive or what, I had planned to do my new NOW NONE STARTER layout without a F/Y as the Viaduct would be along on wall and the Station around the end and finally a large marshaling yard, Goods yard and Engine Shed down the other side.

You never know I may get a BIGGER ROOM next time we sell.

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, I have just had a gander at the pickies above and it is a BIG WOW, I didn't realize you had room to get behind the F/Y. 

Impressive or what, I had planned to do my new NOW NONE STARTER layout without a F/Y as the Viaduct would be along on wall and the Station around the end and finally a large marshaling yard, Goods yard and Engine Shed down the other side.

You never know I may get a BIGGER ROOM next time we sell.

Bodgit :sungum:

If you go way back to post #890, page 36 (about a year ago!!), you'll see an outline plan.

I incorporated access areas into 3 of the corners to allow easy access to the track - this allowed me to build deeper baseboards than I'd otherwise have been able to. I learned by my mistakes on the last layout where certain places were just about impossible to reach!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman