Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

You are making amazing progress here - well done (I wish I could do the same, but my layour will have to wait).

May I ask what you will be using as check rails on the viaduct? I'm guessing that as it's on a curve in reality there would be checks to make sure nothing 'fell off'.....

(Maybe you will now lift that SMP and get some check chairs from exactoscale and make a length of checked track for the viaduct...?? :no: )

Also have you thought much about you tunnel entrances? I have a photo of Blea moor which might be useful for one end....

What coaching stock have you got? I hope it's not just Mk1's!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

You are making amazing progress here - well done (I wish I could do the same, but my layour will have to wait).

May I ask what you will be using as check rails on the viaduct? I'm guessing that as it's on a curve in reality there would be checks to make sure nothing 'fell off'.....

(Maybe you will now lift that SMP and get some check chairs from exactoscale and make a length of checked track for the viaduct...?? :no: )

Also have you thought much about you tunnel entrances? I have a photo of Blea moor which might be useful for one end....

What coaching stock have you got? I hope it's not just Mk1's!

Andy G

Honest answer: check rails - hadn't thought about it!

I have a few pics of the Blea Moor tunnel - there's quite a good selection of stuff if you do a search on the RMweb galleries. I'll base my entrance on that, though it won't be too prototypical with the proximity of viaduct and tunnel.

I've got loads of Mk 1s! The usual colours: maroon, blood and custard... got some Mk 2s as well, but they are in BR blue/grey, so out of period.

Any info you wish to send on will be gratefully received and looked at. Thanks Andy!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Ok, here is 45562 Jubilee "Alberta" heading into the station with a very light load and no driver!

May be he fell through that gap between engine and tender :biggrin_mini2: Is that one of the "old" Bachy Jubs?

As to tunnels and viaducts Jeff, they are in very close proximity at Monsal Head, MR Peak line.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

As usual I'll drop some things into your inbox!

You will need some Stianers and early LMS/Midlands to help with the mixed feel.

I'm hoping that you will have the cobalts wired to a frame, and not be using the DCC controller to work them.

Walking back from the gates earlier i just thought if you had 'nicked' your track for scale clickty-clack? With all metal wheels, the sound is very pleasant! (You could then add dummy fishplates...)

BTW I've taken photos of the gates and some measurements which I'll put in my gallery over the next couple of days.

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

re check rails; couldn't you just get some normal individual exactoscale chairs and some rail, and then lay them in the 4' about 1' back from the running rail each side? This could be done on the exisiting track.

Not sure what they used on the S&C at that time, but would be a good compromise.

Andy G

LOL - yes those were the one's Jeff.

I'm sure with weathering and ballasting they will look fine. If not, you'll be cutting some black plasticard Dutchmen... :jester:

Jeff, I read somewhere that some folks fill overlarge gaps between rail ends with two-part epoxy.

Jeff, why not use scale fishplates? C&L do a 2 part plastic one, they will be selling the execelent Exactoscale plastic fishplates very soon, these are in one part and best fitted during track laying. Or C&L and Colin Waite do etched brass ones (solder one end only or just crimp over)

Jeff,

Andy G

Using checkrail chairs for long lengths will not be practable as sliding that many on rail would be very difficult, the Exactoscale one have gaps of either 0,63mm or 0.8mm, there is a work around for EM gauge though

From memory you work in 00 gauge (will work on EM gauge as well) a work round is :-

1 Cut away the chair base plate detail on the inside of every other sleeper,

2 Thread enough chairs on the check rail to go on every other sleeper (the ones you have just altered).

3 These chairs need cutting back so they fit next to the rail at the required distance so the rails in 00 gauge are 1.25mm apart. (you may have to do the same with the chairs you have just altered on the flexitrack)

4 Cut chairs in half and fit them to the sleepers without chairs

Much easier to do than explain in writing

One question does SMP track work with solvent? or is it like Peco sleepers as this would make g;ueing the chairs to the sleepers much harder

• RMweb Premium

May be he fell through that gap between engine and tender :biggrin_mini2: Is that one of the "old" Bachy Jubs?

As to tunnels and viaducts Jeff, they are in very close proximity at Monsal Head, MR Peak line.

Morning! "Old" Jubilee as in purchased in 2010 from the then current range. Maybe I didn't have it close-coupled!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy and John.

Since the majority of the track is now fitted I'll make do with the fishplates - conducting and insulating - supplied by SMP. It really isn't a problem. The big mistake would be to have no gaps at all.

As far as the check rails are concerned, I'll have a look at some photos of S&C viaduct practice to see what may be needed.

John, I've only used PVA on the SMP, so no solvents (other than water!) have been in contact. I don't think there'd be a particular problem with using evostik or equivalent.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

The Jubilee looks great though I would have picked a black 5 or a class 45.

I had a nice day out with a black 5 for haulage when we were in Scotland last month, I 've always liked them but even more so now.

Re your MK2s in blue grey I am sure I have seen pics of some of the first ones repainted being steam hauled though it might be out of your time period. It would have to have been 1967/8. Some old Staniers will look nice mixed in with your MK1s I think some Gresleys may have made it over the S&C too.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-17945500-1352285635_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning! "Old" Jubilee as in purchased in 2010 from the then current range. Maybe I didn't have it close-coupled!

Jeff, I only asked as I couldn't see a hole for the vac pipe but looking more closely there is one partly obscured by the coupling hook. With your generous radii you should be able to get your engines and tenders really close and perhaps fit the doors and fall plates, they really do make a difference, perhaps in the future eh? I bet you cannot wait to get a full circle and on with the juice.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Agree with you about the Black 5, Peter! I've got 2 of the new Hornby models - would buy more but that's ridiculous!! Lol. Only 2 people nominated locos - Mike (Stationmaster) suggested a Black 5. When I've done a bit more I'll put a Black 5 and a 9F on the viaduct (will it take the strain?) and keep both you and Mike happy. Lovely photo, btw.

I think I can stretch my timeframe through the 60s. No BR blue though! Not that I dislike it - I've a number of blue diesels - but prefer the green period. Each to his own.

I put a question on your thread, but SR Man answered it (re. class 58s).

If you've any further suggestions, please chip in!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I only asked as I couldn't see a hole for the vac pipe but looking more closely there is one partly obscured by the coupling hook. With your generous radii you should be able to get your engines and tenders really close and perhaps fit the doors and fall plates, they really do make a difference, perhaps in the future eh? I bet you cannot wait to get a full circle and on with the juice.

Very good point Jonathan - you make me aware of things I'd not considered. I've been so used to sh***y radii on my old layout (max radius about 24") that I've never had the locos close-coupled. Should be ok now. You are dead right about running the locos. When it's up and running you'll have to come over and have a play!!

Jeff

Thanks Andy and John.

Since the majority of the track is now fitted I'll make do with the fishplates - conducting and insulating - supplied by SMP. It really isn't a problem. The big mistake would be to have no gaps at all.

As far as the check rails are concerned, I'll have a look at some photos of S&C viaduct practice to see what may be needed.

John, I've only used PVA on the SMP, so no solvents (other than water!) have been in contact. I don't think there'd be a particular problem with using evostik or equivalent.

Jeff

Jeff

You missunderstood me re solvents, if you can use Butanone to stick the chairs to the SMP sleepers, then the task of fitting the checkrail will be much easier. As you have a few seconds to adjust each chair as the solvent drys, having to Eveostick the chairs to the sleepers will be that much harder.

Agree with you about the Black 5, Peter! I've got 2 of the new Hornby models - would buy more but that's ridiculous!! Lol. Only 2 people nominated locos - Mike (Stationmaster) suggested a Black 5. When I've done a bit more I'll put a Black 5 and a 9F on the viaduct (will it take the strain?) and keep both you and Mike happy. Lovely photo, btw.

I think I can stretch my timeframe through the 60s. No BR blue though! Not that I dislike it - I've a number of blue diesels - but prefer the green period. Each to his own.

I put a question on your thread, but SR Man answered it (re. class 58s).

If you've any further suggestions, please chip in!

Jeff

No worries Jeff,

Look forwards to the 9f pic.

Yes I noticed SRman had answered your question, he actually has a nice sound fitted one. I don't actually own one myself, nice locos though.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Those are replacement rails Jeff; check rails are used for tight curves and are close up to the running rail.

Personally, I wouldn't bother because it's more hassle than it's worth and at the end of the day, the viaduct is as curved as it is out of necessity and not sticking to prototype, e.g. you want to give the illusion of mainline running in a gentle curve but it isn't possible so you let your imagination think it is straighter than it is, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks lads. I'm learning all the time. I think I'll concentrate on the down-to-earth stuff for the time being. But I'd like to see a photo of the check rails on a viaduct if anyone has one.

Off to fix a bit more track down - seems to be all I've done for the last 3 weeks....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Those aren't check rails, but are more-or-less what I was was thinking. BR certainly did use check rails set at about that spacing (in proper bases mind!) to prevent disaster after derailment.

I don't think I'd leave them off, as most long viaducts had checks of some sort. I'm not suggesting that that the checks are needed because of the radius, but just because they would be fitted to stop things falling off the viaduct!

(note some viaducts/bridges had the rails set on waybeams that sat in troughs on the deck, the edges of the trough acted as checks, so plain rail was used)

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy. The "road viaduct" set-up was how I imagined it to be. The real question is: What did they use on the viaducts on the S&C? I'll have to look into this. i'm not saying i'll even bother doing it - but if I do then it must be prototypical.

Jeff