Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Hi Jeff

I'm enjoying following this layout and others develop on here as i'm looking for ideas as to what to build myself.

I have a friend who is building a S&C based layout, so I'm comparing things!!

I also know the area very well, I only live approx 10 miles from Kirkby Stephen station

I like being "bored to death" ,especially by the foto's, so keep em coming , PLEASE.

Chip

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

I'm enjoying following this layout and others develop on here as i'm looking for ideas as to what to build myself.

I have a friend who is building a S&C based layout, so I'm comparing things!!

I also know the area very well, I only live approx 10 miles from Kirkby Stephen station

I like being "bored to death" ,especially by the foto's, so keep em coming , PLEASE.

Chip

Morning Chip, great to hear from you. You're a lucky man if you live within 10 miles of Kirkby Stephen. Yes, it can be a bit wild up there, but as I drive from the Tebay turnoff on the M6 through KS to Brough and the A66 (a frequent journey), I always think that I love the area.

For the number of pages on the thread, I sometimes think that progress is slow. But then I remind myself that I only started RAILWAY-related work IN the bunker at the start of June. So progress isn't too bad. And, in the end, there's no hurry! I spent 8 years, on-and-off, on the last layout - and it was much smaller. The "RMweb effect" certainly helps. If you want to know or check something, there's somebody here (lots of them) to help.

More wiring and a turnout or two to fit today. The wiring doesn't make great photos. I'll post some fiddle yard pics this week as it develops.

Best wishes,

Jeff.

• RMweb Premium

After a cold night, it's a late start today. The heater is on and there's plenty to do!

Time to fit a couple more Cobalts, I think. Haven't done that for over a week - hope I'm not losing my touch!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Today's efforts, so far. Over 2 hours' work to fit 2 turnouts and associated Cobalts. Feels very slow, but it's come out ok. We're now truly into the fiddle yard with a mainline separation of 41mm (as against 32mm in the scenic area).

post-13778-0-63767400-1353251625_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-45980000-1353251636_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

WOW! :O GREAT PROGRESS MATE :sungum: , well I must say it is like I have been away for a year, and all of a sudden I can see it all coming together and the added artwork helps define just where you are going with this. You have been working hard under the boards and that must have been very hard work but it is showing signs of of a great layout getting even greater. The flow of the pointwork into the fiddle yard should ensure silky smooth operation for years to come.

No wonder you did't want my 4 inch nails :no:

Although I don't think I will build my own track I may look at Finescale when I get to build a large permenant layout one day.

I guess you are taking a break for a cuppa,

Catch up again later, Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy. I've actually just wired up the stock rail/switch blade/frog droppers to another 5 Cobalts and fitted over 20 pairs of droppers from SMP track into terminal block. Connections from the block down to the bus will now be easy.

I'll try and fix the other 4 turnouts in the "fan", shown in the previous pics, into place tomorrow. Then I can get some SMP down and work out the curved links to the viaduct.

It's getting towards the scary time when I can fit the bus wire in place. Then, a little bit of soldering and part of the layout will come alive. Very exciting! Actually, I must admit, I'm really looking forward to building the hillside. I think it's going to be a bit of a project!!

Jeff

This really is a great thread, good to see the techniques used by someone with a great deal more experience than me at modelling railways, I seem to have spent most of my day going through the thread, making notes on areas to re-visit as I start laying track myself hopefully next week.

Thank you for taking the time to show us the way forward, what seems like a rather daunting task is made much easier (I hope) with the help you and your fellow posters provide

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

This really is a great thread, good to see the techniques used by someone with a great deal more experience than me at modelling railways, I seem to have spent most of my day going through the thread, making notes on areas to re-visit as I start laying track myself hopefully next week.

Thank you for taking the time to show us the way forward, what seems like a rather daunting task is made much easier (I hope) with the help you and your fellow posters provide

Thanks for your lovely comments. Much appreciated! I'm learning a lot of the stuff I'm doing "on the job", so I'd say "go for it"!! I've made some cock ups - I hadn't done much soldering for 20 years, but that's improved out of all recognition. And laying flexi - I used to use a lot of setrack so had to re-familiarise myself with that. And so on...

As a Physics teacher for nearly 30 years it's always been clear to me that people perceive Physics as a "hard" subject. Rubbish! It CAN be very difficult, but if you spend the time to explain what's going on, instead of assuming that everyone understands, you reap the rewards! I put a lot of stuff up on here and I'm prepared to be shot down. It doesn't happen - NOT because I get it right all the time, but because the guys on here are so amazingly helpful.

It is very true to say that my knowledge of railway modelling has at least doubled since I joined the Forum a year ago. It's a great place.

Glad you enjoy the thread!!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Jeff,

David Jenkinson'e seminal work on the S&C, "Rails in the Fells" (1973) described Holbeck as the best known shed which provided engines for services over the line. So let's begin there.

In October 1964 the allocation (omitting any diesel shunters) was:

• BR Type 4 1Co-Co1 (=19) ...... D14 - D32
  • Brush Type 4 Co-Co (=4) ....... D1570 - D1573
  • Fairburn Cl.4 2-6-4T (=4) ....... 42052, 42139, 42145, 42271
  • Fowler Cl.4 2-6-4T (=1) .......... 42394
  • Stanier Cl.4 2-6-4T (=1).......... 42622
  • Ivatt Cl.4 2-6-0 (=4) ................ 43039, 43117, 43124, 43130
  • Stanier Cl.5 4-6-0 (=15) ......... 44662, 44824, 44828, 44849, 44852, 44853, 44854, 44857, 44983, 45063, 45075, 45079, 45204, 45211, 45273
  • Stanier "Jubilee" Cl.6P 4-6-0 (=8) ........ 45573, 45597, 45608, 45626, 45658, 45660, 45675, 45697
  • Stanier 8F 2-8-0 (=6) ............. 48104, 48157,48158, 48283, 48399, 48454

Regards,

Peter

Edited by Western Sunset
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Don't know why a "smiley" has appeared in my post above............ :O

Peter, thanks for the allocation info. All the stuff you provide will be invaluable! I got a copy of "Rails in the Fells" last week and I've been dipping into it - mostly to look at the range of materials carried on the line and the yearly tonnages. I quite like statistics!

As for the blasted smiley. I had one appear earlier when I typed in bracket b bracket ... ( B). Hasn't done it here. Bloomin' things!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edit: Oh yes it has, upon saving. Very odd!

Edited by Physicsman

Bill, noticed you lurking at the bottom... what's with the new elfin avatar? Has it got that bad in Morecambe that you have to wear a disguise!!? Lol.

Jeff

Jeff

Not sure if the quote is aimed at me but I'm not Bill in Morecambe, I'm Billy in Lincoln

Keep up the great work

Billy

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Not sure if the quote is aimed at me but I'm not Bill in Morecambe, I'm Billy in Lincoln

Keep up the great work

Billy

Hee hee! No Billy, not you. Bill in Morecambe, aka Mythocentric. I don't think your avatar looks remotely elfin!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes its me again, just re read several bits from the past, still great stuff.

Andy

It's quite ok Andy. It's free. Maybe I should start charging an entrance fee!

Btw, what have you made your platform from on T? It looked like 3mm MDF to me. I've made platforms from a skeleton arrangement before - very strong and allows such a wide range of shapes/curves etc. I once remember Gordon S having loads of platform shells like this - from his Eastwood Town thread. I wonder, if Gordon reads this, if he can point us to the right page (was it on something you ended up scrapping?).

Jeff

Btw, what have you made your platform from on T? It looked like 3mm MDF to me. I've made platforms from a skeleton arrangement before - very strong and allows such a wide range of shapes/curves etc. I once remember Gordon S having loads of platform shells like this - from his Eastwood Town thread. I wonder, if Gordon reads this, if he can point us to the right page (was it on something you ended up scrapping?).

Jeff

Yes Jeff, You are right 3mm MDF for the skeleton and 6mm for the top. BUT in 4 mm I almost always use the same format but with plasticard for both the skeleton and top. I was lucky a few years back now, I was at my local supermarket and they were changing the signs inside the frames at the petrol station, (you know the sort of thing that advertises insurance and bank loans etc). I noticed that they were plasticard, about 2 mm thick, so I asked if I could have it, The nice lady gave me the lot, 1x 5ft x 3ft, 4 x 4ft x 2ft and 3 or 4 a couple of feet x three feet, I was more than chuffed, and I am still usung it. Unfortunately they now use card or stiff paper, so I can't get anymore.

Andy

Andy

Evening Jeff,

I dunno, I get busy doing things for the weekend, and you run off and get so much done I feel like I'm barely moving! Won't be long before you have a circuit done, and then things will slow down owing to the arduous testing that will need to be done :)

Oh, and the smileys appear as a result of text replacement - for example this one B) appears whenever you type a 'b' followed by a ')' - irrespective of whether you want the smiley or not...

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jeff,

I dunno, I get busy doing things for the weekend, and you run off and get so much done I feel like I'm barely moving! Won't be long before you have a circuit done, and then things will slow down owing to the arduous testing that will need to be done :)

Oh, and the smileys appear as a result of text replacement - for example this one B) appears whenever you type a 'b' followed by a ')' - irrespective of whether you want the smiley or not...

Yes Michael, I think you are correct in that respect. All the way through the wiring I've been testing, testing, testing - but once it goes "live" it'll be a gradual process of integration. And guess what? I'm really looking forward to it!

I've got a Hornby class 09 shunter that I use for test purposes only. It'll be nice to give it a run out, at ultra-low running speed, over the track as each bit is connected to the bus.

Being optimistic, I'm 2 weeks away from that stage. If I was Andy P he'd be ready yesterday!

As for smileys ... :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Jeff

Bill, noticed you lurking at the bottom... what's with the new elfin avatar? Has it got that bad in Morecambe that you have to wear a disguise!!? Lol.

Jeff

Hi Jeff.

And here was I thinking I'd got away with it! The new avatar is the result of being lazy and avoiding thinking up new one's everytime I join a website. The elven one is the one I use on my art webpage here: www.mythocentric.deviantart.com . Probably a bit vain (vane? vein?) but it's the one which best represents me as a working artist so I decided to use it everywhere. By the way, the little guy's name is Loik, so if you see him lurking at the bottom of your garden please be kind to him, he's my bestest friend. The red cardinal represents the Canadian contingent of my far-flung family. It's not really that bad in Morecambe. The only time I wear a disguise is when I go out to watch the traffic lights change! I'm the one in the leather flying helmet and yellow spandex tights (I only wear the purple wellies when the tides in!)

Regards

The other Bill

(Hello to new Bill)

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, Just catching up having been working on the new abode doing odds and sods over the weekend so no RMweb. Good to see so much progress and hopefully the juice will soon be on. Off to Northallerton now for a couple of hours but it's not to the ECML.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff.

And here was I thinking I'd got away with it! The new avatar is the result of being lazy and avoiding thinking up new one's everytime I join a website. The elven one is the one I use on my art webpage here: www.mythocentric.deviantart.com . Probably a bit vain (vane? vein?) but it's the one which best represents me as a working artist so I decided to use it everywhere. By the way, the little guy's name is Loik, so if you see him lurking at the bottom of your garden please be kind to him, he's my bestest friend. The red cardinal represents the Canadian contingent of my far-flung family. It's not really that bad in Morecambe. The only time I wear a disguise is when I go out to watch the traffic lights change! I'm the one in the leather flying helmet and yellow spandex tights (I only wear the purple wellies when the tides in!)

Regards

The other Bill

(Hello to new Bill)

Blimey Bill, I didn't know people were so normal in Morecambe! Yellow spandex tights were yesterday's fashion in Barrow!! Lol. :O

Btw, I like the avatar - I did wonder about its significance. I've just logged on, so I'll have a look at your link later. I'll look out for Loik!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jonathan. I feel like I'm crawling along, but if, like you've done, you miss a few days, then I suppose it does show some progress. I am very pleased with the way the underboard wiring has tidied up. A bit more later - might post a pic to break up the monotony of the words!

Pleased about the new house. I may have juice soon, but you may be able to start sorting out your loft!

Enjoy sunny Northallerton - house-related purchases by any chance? Or at you at work?

Target today: Fit 2 more turnouts/Cobalts and do a bit more wiring work.

Jeff

Jeff

Good grief, it's hard keeping up with this thread. Miss an hour and you come back to a new page...

Yes Jeff, it was from an earlier version of ET and in a strange way it was quite therapeutic looking back through the archives, although it did make me wince to see the stuff that had been scrapped. I keep telling myself, it's a learning curve.....I'm just a slow learner. :D

Here's the page with the platform pics. Strips of 4mm MDF and some wood blocks cut to size.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3422-eastwood-town-update/page__st__650

Keep posting, It's fascinating following the speed of your progress.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Gordon. I remember those photos, probably because I'd just joined the Forum and was scanning through a number of threads I hadn't looked at before. It was only last December, so when you talk about speed of work - you've made quite a lot of changes, and progress, since then.

Need to go outside and do some more construction - the urge beckons!

Jeff