Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy. Thanks for the tip. along with Scott's suggestion something may work. Having said that, I've bumbled my way through 24 Cobalts so far. 12 to go, so I'll have a go.

Good to see you are back into the modelling swing with lots of posts. Amazing what a few days away from the obsession (hobby) can do!

Jeff

I think we'll stick with the great minds. Though I have to say as an ex-research scientist I'm disappointed that you have so much space for adding additional 'features' but no desire to do so :O On the other hand having reformed myself as an engineer in industry I commend the plan to keep it simple!

Robmcg - those are very impressive images - where do the backgrounds come from?

Ah, the images are always a mix of digital camera photos of models with or without scenery and various 'selections' from digital images of my own and public pictures with over-painting with brush, colour, brightness, contrast and dithering tools, mostly simple painting, but some track in particular is more-or-less copied, usually from a 6' x 15" diorama I made in 2008 but was lost after the Christchurch earthquake. I am working on a section of code 75 bullhead rail which I hope will improve things, but I am terribly lazy!

here is a two-picture 'stitch' from which the recent A3 60093 'Coronach' pic was taken. Camera is Canon SX150is or SX130is (I only bought the 150 because it was under 90 pounds and the 130 rattled after being dropped a few times, but they are both great) using a mix of indirect window light and a bedsde lamp 60w tungsten bulb, delayed release, F8, ISO 80 , about 0.6-1sec with several tests with various focus points and hand-held lighting changes ...

post-7929-0-35248800-1352838908.jpg

post-7929-0-58473800-1352839044.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

Thanks for that, Scott. Richard Johnson seems to be looking at the hobby from all angles. I'll not be fitting signals for a considerable time, so whatever he comes up with could well be relevant.

Since you seem to communicate with him on a regular basis, could you suggest something? The Cobalt motor package is an excellent little product - I now have 30 of them. But one thing about it really irks me! With my chubby fingers, fitting the tiny self-tapping screw that holds the actuator wire in place is a real pain. Surely there has to be a better design than at present?

Jeff

Will do, as he's just up the road from me (40km away in Aussie-speak) - but you are more likely to see him before I do: he's in China right now, and then off to Warley (possibly with my Car No.79 in tow. I'll be rather chuffed if he does take her along as a sample!)

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Going to watch the eclipse, Jeff?

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/12015298

Scott

I'd love to watch the eclipse, but unfortunately it's not visible from here. If I was in Oz I'd be up somewhere near Darwin as the path of totality crosses NE Australia.

If you do see Richard, pass on my positive comments about the Cobalts - very pleased with them, so far.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I like your backgrounds, Rob, but it's the lighting that makes the models stand out.

Reading your posts, it sounds like you are an avid collector of steam locos. If you can be bothered to make a list, post it on here. Maybe stick to post-2000 models (ie. after Hornby super-detail Merchant Navy, or even all loco-driven?). Thanks.

The Jenkinson book I got today is full of interesting stats. There seem to have been a number of Stanier 8Fs on the line. Haven't checked yet, but is there a current, decent Hornby model? Impressive loco and I don't think Bachmann make one.

Jeff

Ah yes Jeff I have collected maybe 100 or so post-2001 models mostly Hornby and mostly the larger BR steam engines which I really like, will make an approximate list sometime soon... time matters though as I have certain other pressures like being a T5 paraplegic and all that has involved for 38 years in a wheelchair (crashed a Triumph bike through inattention in 1974 when I was 23yrs old) I live with my partner Jan fairly quietly and privately near Wellington ... in any event you can assume I have or can get just about every engine made in 00 RTR by Hornby or Bachmann since about 2001 in style and type if not exact number at least express steam types and yes Hornby do a weathered 8F...

post-7929-0-64038400-1352842984.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob. I checked up on the Hornby 8F - they did a weathered version, as in your lovely photo, but it no longer seems to be available.

It'll be very interesting to see your list. I predominantly buy Bachmann, with the steam locos dominated by LMS derivatives / BR Standards. I'd love to buy one or two more at the moment, but the layout project is eating all the spare cash.

It looks like you had a fairly strong partial eclipse of the sun. The path of totality passed a few hundred miles north of Auckland.

Back to scanning through "Rails in the Fells".

Jeff

I always thought my screwdrivers were magnetised. Cheers Scott - I think it's more down to my lack of dexterity! I've just bought a new set of Draper mini-screwdrivers (which are magnetised), so we'll soon see what happens!

Cheers,

Jeff

There no good with WOOD SCREWS hahahah

I reserved a weathered 8F in my local shop, I have a sound fitted one I modified earlier this year and it make a slight funny whine going forward and NOT backwards, well the one I reserved did the same which is a shame as it was DCC Chip fitted. I may still have it but will probably get a Hornby Brit or Clan OR BOTH first an I love big engines.

I turned the lights out earlier for a South Derbyshire eclipse, HAHAHAHAH heeee

• RMweb Premium

There no good with WOOD SCREWS hahahah

Andy, I thought you might chip in with some of your pearls of wisdom! I may have to put some more of those pesky screws into the Cobalts later in the week, if I can sort out the fiddle yard plan. As with the main plan, it was all settled - until I decided to use the larger Marcway turnouts. Wood screws, eh. Are you testing my mettle? (Sorry about the pun).

Btw, I look forward to seeing the station area develop on Trebudoc!

Jeff

I like your backgrounds, Rob, but it's the lighting that makes the models stand out.

Reading your posts, it sounds like you are an avid collector of steam locos. If you can be bothered to make a list, post it on here. Maybe stick to post-2000 models (ie. after Hornby super-detail Merchant Navy, or even all loco-driven?). Thanks.

The Jenkinson book I got today is full of interesting stats. There seem to have been a number of Stanier 8Fs on the line. Haven't checked yet, but is there a current, decent Hornby model? Impressive loco and I don't think Bachmann make one.

Jeff

The Hornby 8F captures the look of the Stanier loco to a T! If you wish you could of course undertake some superdetailing, but it's not really neccessary! Going for the weathered version is best avoided because the 'weathering' is little more than a quick spray-over with a grimy brown. Far better to buy a pristine model and weather it yourself after renumbering, etc.

Bill

• Like 1

Hi Jeff, the picture probably doesn't do it justice, but I picked up a weathered 8F from Ally Pally show a few years back. I kept walking past the Lord and Butler stand and they had a service called 'Dirty Boy Weathering'. I couldn't put this 8F down and ended up purchasing it for around a £100. They do have a website but must be working on it as the links to the weathering service don't work and there is little substance to the main page. If they are still going, it might be worth checking with them if they still offer the 8F. It's the latest Hornby model and runs like silk. Probably one of the smoothest runners I have...

http://www.lordandbu...l_Railways.html

post-6950-0-30440500-1352877438_thumb.jpg

http://youtu.be/NYnRfaFM5To

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to both Bill and Gordon. Must admit, the loco looks excellent in its weathered state. Not bad slow running, either! It's this kind of thing that tempts me to end my embargo on buying locos!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

I have the LMS version of the 8F and can confirm it's smooth running (DC). The tender lets it down though, but Comet and Brassmasters do a decent version, and then there are their detailing kits, if you want further improvements.

• RMweb Premium

Me too; I bought the weathered version of the 8F although wished I had just got the pristine version as the light brown dusting that Hornby seem to think represents weathering is a joke - at some point I will get the airbrush out and weather both it and quite a few others, but it won't be in light brown.

It runs fantastically well, as do all the other Hornby steamers I own. Pickups on both loco and tender help but I'll be controversial here and say outright that I believe that Hornby steam locos run far, far better than their Bachmann counterparts. A prime example would be the Hornby (admittedly ex-Dapol) Austerity 0-6-0 compared to the Bachmann Jinty. Well, there is no comparison really, as the Austerity is a hundred miles ahead in low speed running, smoothness, reliability, etc. Just a shame that it is surplus to requirements really, whereas the Jinty is much needed.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jason. I don't think you're being controversial at all. My Hornby Brits, Black 5, B1 and 4MT all run beautifully - and sound smoother than the Bachmann counterparts. Problem for me is that Hornby doesn't have a coherent plan for the locos it issues - but the Bachmann range is much better thought out, and not just "glamour" locos. So if I want a Jubilee, Patriot, Crab etc, then it's got to be Bachmann. I think we are incredibly spoilt for choice. 20 years ago you'd never have imagined the standard of what would be available RTR.

You lot are at it again, mind! I'm in the bunker wiring up the turnouts - not really exciting. I look on here and you get my adrenalin flowing with enticing discussions of lovely locos! Keep it going lads! when the layouts running I think I'll be getting a loco or ten...

Jeff

• Like 1

My Jinty from Bachmann runs a treat, although this may be due to me putting shims each side of the middle axle to allow the spring to push it down onto the rails so that it is an effective picker-upper of current. The opposite to Sandside, I don't need one but there's no way I'll part with this lovely runner. Re manufacturer-weathered locos, the motion and wheels are ready done and all that needs to be done afterwards is tweak the body weathering to suit. That shows how I'm bone idle I've become where painting is involved!

Beware of Crabs! Nothing nasty.....It's just that both mine have deeper flanges than 'normal' Bachmann and Hornby locos. Visually they spoil the look of these models, but I believe the latest offerings have finer flanges.

Edited by coachmann

Hi Jeff, How are you getting on with the point motor wiring? Are you carefully thinking things through to get the wires the right way round, or just trying and correcting as needed? I always find I get a 50% hit rate with the latter method. Embarrasingly, that drops to about 25% when I think about it!

I won't add any encouragement to break the loco buying ban, other than to say that is amazingly good slow running...

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

What period are you setting the model in, so I can have a look at some loco allocations for you?

Regards,

Peter

Hi Peter, sorry for the delay - wiring Cobalts! My preferred period is around 1965. But there will be little change in the KL area between, say, late 50s - late 60s. Green diesel era, no blue!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Beware of Crabs! Nothing nasty.....It's just that both mine have deeper flanges than 'normal' Bachmann and Hornby locos. Visually they spoil the look of these models, but I believe the latest offerings have finer flanges.

I only have one Crab and it seems to run ok - couldn't say if it had finer flanges, looks similar to my other locos.

Hi Jeff, How are you getting on with the point motor wiring? Are you carefully thinking things through to get the wires the right way round, or just trying and correcting as needed? I always find I get a 50% hit rate with the latter method. Embarrasingly, that drops to about 25% when I think about it!

I won't add any encouragement to break the loco buying ban, other than to say that is amazingly good slow running...

I started doing it the practical way but now seem to have sorted out a method that works!! Just hit a snag with a curved turnout that throws perfectly one way but sticks part way across in the other direction. I've cleaned it, filed it, prodded it - it's driving me mad (and I've spent an hour on it so far). If I can't sort it out I'll replace the damn thing! Other than that, all seems ok.

What were you saying about 8Fs??!! Lol.

Jeff