Ex-LNER Gresley full brake in BR parcels service

Southernman46

I'm pretty sure that the RCTS Coaching Stock Book 1978 had a pic of one - IIRC it was also said to be in (very dirty) maroon still as well.

Away from my book hoard at the mo but will check for you at w/e.

Rgds,

Andy

RCTS 1976 Coaching Stock Book shows 12 still in service; Next edition I have is 1981 by which time there were none. Those in 76 were:

The 78 RCTS book doesn't list any, but still includes 9 BZ six-wheel brakes.

Also the 78 book doesn't have any photos of them (Andy/leopard's post above), but the 76 book does, York 1973, but no mention of livery. Looks to be normal parcels stock filthy though.

(can't find a smiley for "waving from Yorkshire")

The last Gresleys went during 1977 I think, the last ones in October-ish.

Sorry I have not got the file handy so I cannot confirm.

You'd need to check which is what...

The 78 RCTS book doesn't list any, but still includes 9 BZ six-wheel brakes.

Also the 78 book doesn't have any photos of them (Andy/leopard's post above), but the 76 book does, York 1973, but no mention of livery. Looks to be normal parcels stock filthy though.

(can't find a smiley for "waving from Yorkshire")

Thanks EastWestDivide - I've got both books. And .....

....a bad memory !

Yeah - a 2 fingered wave wouldn't be allowed would it :nono: but then of course depends on which side you're on ?

Excellent plan - I quite fancy one in rail blue (I think it suited them rather well), and by application of sod's law, if you repaint one, there's bound to be an r-t-r model released soon after!

In addition to those listed above, I have poor photographs of other Gresley full brakes in blue: 70526 (Liverpool Street 1973), 70531 (Liverpool Street 1975), 70508 (Yarmouth Vauxhall, 1975).

I think I remember seeing a blue one at Carnforth on the opposite side of the main line from the steam depot in about 1982/83 ish. Not sure if it was in use though, & I was on a train, so could be a faulty memory.

Duncan

Archived