Dapol announce 'N' 27, 'OO' 73 and 'O' 08 at Alexandra Palace

Andy Y

At last someone is going to produce a little ED worth buying, really good news!

Dapol should do well on these for years, the amount of liveries carried over time is mind boggling.

I spent many happy hours clambering over the real thing in Eastleigh depot back in the 1980's, it is going to be quite an effort to restrain myself from buying more than half a dozen or so...

Having already taken the plunge into O gauge at the beginning of this year the plank awaits the 08 - I would like them to do one in black.. but at that price I won't be waiting.

(For all you would be enthusiasts for 7mm 12 feet can build a useful plank. But if you can find 16feet it would be much better...)

Now please Dave, how about a generic BR Guardsvan, some vans and a tanker or two?

They would be really popular indeed - (a built Tanker on ebay will typically sell for over #100...)

The 73 in 00 gauge is also very and extremely welcome indeed :)

But where's the green one?

I am delighted that Dapol have announced the 08 in O gauge. I always suspected that a reasonable price point could be obtained given the labour cost, technology and experience of the major manufacturers. My hope is that Bachmann (notwithstanding Bachmann's brass model range) and Hornby take notice and blow the O/7mm niche wide open. Those embryonic O gauge modellers on the fence due to price should be falling off right now. If you think about it, an emphasis on O gauge makes sense given the demographics of our aging population. A glance at photos of club members shows a preponderance of grey hair and specs (and I'm one of them).

John

The 73 is good news for me - by the time it's released I might have even built the layout for it to run on! If as much effort goes into getting it right than has gone into the Western, it's bound to be a cracker!

Sounds like everyone will be well supplied by the 4 main suppliers this year, I wonder if the class 73 annoucement will be followed by the class 71/74 in a couple of weeks time it would make sense.

I dont want to detract from these announcements but has anyone had the opportunity to ask Dapol how advanced progress is on the class 21/29?

Cheers Paul

Guest Max Stafford

Well, if it's any use I notice that the model/running numbers are listed on Hatton's now and available to pre order. Mind you, so are the big 08s!

Dave.

0 gauge 08 brilliant news looking forward to this one and at the price of a sound oo loco put me down for 2 or 3 in blue and green, will even contemplate the ews version though not my era but could see a small wagon works with the ews one as the only loco. best of luck with this venture, its what the hobby needs.

Thank you Dave and Dapol crew

The 08 ready to run painted under £200 Xmas has come early or is this for april the first?

Got to say one of the highlights of the year for me.

Hugh

Well just pre-ordered from Liverpool box shifter £169 after watching this

Oh dear, a green class 27, just as I'm rationalising my stock to model the Durham coast rather than the ECML. Ten of these started out at Thornaby and certainly managed to find people's cameras as far up the coast as Seaham. Oh, my aching wallet!

Seriously, excellent news but not totally unpredicatable......

Les

Yes an 08 in 7mm :sungum: that's saved me a fair bit of money :locomotive: will be placing a pre-order as we speak Shaftesbury will now have an resident shunter at a fantastic price looks like the sound will nearly cost as much as the loco,thats a first for 7mm.

Well done Dapol

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

As soon as I saw it announced via Kernow's facebook page I thought of you Daz and wondered how many you'd be ordering. I'll be grabbing a blue one and, like many it seems, that sort of price is going to push a lot of people into O gauge as it's suddenly become quite affordable.

When you think that O gauge takes up 4x the amount of space of a OO layout, the stock was always much more expensive ratio-wise but that psychological "under £200" (a lot less with the usual big boy discounts) is spot on and less than the price of two OO locos.

I hope that future stock (wagons, coaches etc) come in at a similar price raito because although I understand the smaller market (at present) means bigger unit costs, O gauge is very much still - or was - beyond the pockets of many.

• RMweb Premium

Can't wait for the 73 - in nice sensible everyday liveries too. If it's up to the standard of the 22 (no reason to suspect that it won't be) it'll be a well-deserved winner!

Hopefully we'll see a 1966-era blue/SWP version of the JB before too long.

The 7mm 08 at under £200 is VERY tempting.....must resist..... I'll worried that I'll definitely give in if they do a small steam loco at that sort of price!

Cheers Dapol!

Archived