New OO gauge Class 73

If a product is faulty then you have a right to return that product, but it could be a grey area to return an item due to the colours not being correct, although you could ask to exchange it, but it would have to be returned to the shop it was bought from and not the manufacturer which I think has been mentioned before. See Martin Lewis website for more info. as the laws have changed with regards to the sale of goods etc.

I returned my BR Blue to eHattons no problem, mind you I paid for the postage. I exchanged for the GBRf, which I am happy with. The colours are so bright that the lemon yellow warning panels are forgivable. However I had to pay the full price. This is after 8 months on the pre order waiting list.

In summary lost £10 on the pre-order price, £4 postage from eHattons to me for the BR Blue, £11 postage to send it back properly insured = £25 :mad_mini:

I will never buy another Dapol item on pre-order until I see cast iron assurances they are going to get things right and, considering the really poor after sales customer service, that's not going to happen. Considering the perilous nature of the UK and global economy this is not a case of Dapol shooting themselves in the foot so much as lying across the tracks of the busiest mainline, at night, wearing dark clothes. :crazy: 

Looking at this image http://www.preserved-diesels.co.uk/2008a/73101_1.htm its not so much the colours that stand out (although the brown on the model would benefit from a coat of varnish) but the quashed nature of the cab side numbers on the model together with its over elongated Pullman lettering  on the upper body side seen better as a comparison in http://www.preserved-diesels.co.uk/2008a/73101_2.htm

Edited by Butler Henderson

Although not perfect i'm sure i can live with it.

attachicon.gif73101 pullman livery.jpg

Might need someone to respray 7 pullmans though!  :jester:

attachicon.gif73101 with pullman.jpg

Graham.

Okay so the coaches are being made by your competitor but they are the reason why your locomotive is going to sell like hot cakes; now I would have kept an eye on the livery to make sure there would have been an acceptable match i.e. actually play with the models - doesn't anyone ar Dapol actually play with the models?

• Tempfix

Must admit that I like Pullman livery a lot better than the mainline on 73102, although I'm aware of the issues, but the one I've received doesn't run any better. A DCC Concepts decoder with stay alive has helped a little, but both are still decidedly stuttery. For some reason my 73102 only picks up from one wheel on one side. Has anyone managed to strip them as far down as the bogies yet? Think I need to investigate.

For some reason my 73102 only picks up from one wheel on one side. Has anyone managed to strip them as far down as the bogies yet? Think I need to investigate.

Rich, someone did have this issue and found a solution. It was only a couple of weeks ago, but at the rate this thread is growing that could be 10-15 pages back! It's there somewhere.

Edit: It was back on Page 41...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54082-new-oo-gauge-class-73/page-41&do=findComment&comment=2142184

Edited by Pete 75C

Arriving from Hattons this morning was a parcel containing GBRf 73206. I've been looking forward to it for a while now but having been reading this thread for the last week, my enthusiasm for its arrival had dampened some what.

Straight out the box, it's certainly a very nice model. I was a bit surprised at how light it was, I assumed it would be on the weighty side. The colours look good to me, with maybe the Yellow front being a little "off" but I can live with it. Unfortunately, there was a part rolling around in the box. One of the brake actuators that fits on the back of the bogie had fallen off, while on the same bogie one of the yaw dampers isn't even fitted. (It wasn't loose in the box). I plan to e-mail Dapol to see if a new bogie frame can be sent out, seems a faff to send it back for another loco.

On my somewhat dirty track, it ran well. Would benefit from a running in though to just dampen down the growl it has. Not having opened it up yet, I'm not sure what the lighting layout is but the headlight at one end shines through bodyshell and not the headlight aperture, hopefully this'll be easy to remedy. The sand pipes will need trimming back as some do snag on the track.

Overall I'm pleased with it, and looking forward to getting all the details attached, giving it a weathering and putting it into service. Going by what's said on here and from what I've seen on my model, I think the QC department needs a kick up the arse to stop the avoidable mistakes of wrong colours and loose parts. Saying that, I am quite tempted by Olivias model of 73141, it'd make a nice pair with 73206!

Below are a few photos taken on the camera phone.

attachicon.gifDSC_0199.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_0201.jpg

(The missing yaw damper is on the bogie closest to the camera).

attachicon.gifDSC_0202.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_0203.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_0204.jpg

Andy.

Good grief, those yellow ends are atrocious!

...and black backed nameplates too!

The Brighton Evening Argus ones were never anything other than brown on the Pullman livery which makes the black backed etched ones supplied very wrong.  They weren't even black when 73101 was in BR Blue, they were red so still not right...

I beg to differ!

http://www.buritonwheelbarrow.net/UKRailways/UKRailwaysaftertheBlues/Electric-Locomotives/i-sQ2ddkd

(This is my own smug mug site - not intending to puff it - but the photo can be seen a little larger to compare the nameplate with the lower bodyside colour)

Roger

yep, brown, same as the top band. definitely not black and can confirm i am not colourblind

I beg to differ!

http://www.buritonwheelbarrow.net/UKRailways/UKRailwaysaftertheBlues/Electric-Locomotives/i-sQ2ddkd

(This is my own smug mug site - not intending to puff it - but the photo can be seen a little larger to compare the nameplate with the lower bodyside colour)

Roger

• RMweb Premium

To toss the proverbial hand grenade of debate into the proverbial oil drum, I think the brown on the Dapol 73 is spot on and the brown on the Hornby Pullmans is very very wrong.

[Ducks for cover]

To toss the proverbial hand grenade of debate into the proverbial oil drum, I think the brown on the Dapol 73 is spot on and the brown on the Hornby Pullmans is very very wrong.

[Ducks for cover]

Whenever I see the Pullman coaches on a charter working it is clear how wrong the Hornby colouring is.  This is one colour Dapol have got correct.

• RMweb Premium

For some reason my 73102 only picks up from one wheel on one side. Has anyone managed to strip them as far down as the bogies yet?

Hi Rich

A fellow Rmwebber had the same issue and has solved it by adding extra pickups that contact the back of the wheels. I did the same thing with the repainted IC version I have but didn't take pics, but I will be doing the same to a Dutch one this week hopefully so I'll take some pics this time as I do it.

Whenever I see the Pullman coaches on a charter working it is clear how wrong the Hornby colouring is.  This is one colour Dapol have got correct.

Must admit watched a programme on C4 yesterday about the Orient Express and the Pullman colour looked closer to the Dapol 73 rather than the Hornby coaches.

E

I am sure we likely do see colour differently. See below my photographs from the same day.

It looks brown to me.

attachicon.gifL-965 BN LW 22-9-91 73101.jpg

attachicon.gifL-969 BN LW 22-9-91 73101.jpg

Cheers.

Very interesting - I will have to dig out the original slide and look very carefully. It's interesting how different emulsions record differently. Your brown looks the same shade as the lower body sides whereas mine looks several shades darker, at least. Curiouser and curiouser as someone once said!!!

Roger

I believe Hornby's Pullman coaches are based upon their 1950s appearance for which no-one has reliable colour photographs. It is reasonable to expect that colours have changed over the years so I don't think you can compare a 1950s Hornby Pullman with a 1980/90s Dapol 73 in Pullman livery. It is unfortunate though if you want to recreate the VSOE or British Pullman.

Personally I am still waiting for my Dapol Class 73s as the first two were lost in the post and the Gaugemaster and Hobby Shop ones were posted later.

Very interesting - I will have to dig out the original slide and look very carefully. It's interesting how different emulsions record differently. Your brown looks the same shade as the lower body sides whereas mine looks several shades darker, at least. Curiouser and curiouser as someone once said!!!

Roger

I agree the photos have come out differently. The second shot was taken in the depot shed which could have altered the tones too.

Cheers.

I believe Hornby's Pullman coaches are based upon their 1950s appearance for which no-one has reliable colour photographs. It is reasonable to expect that colours have changed over the years so I don't think you can compare a 1950s Hornby Pullman with a 1980/90s Dapol 73 in Pullman livery. It is unfortunate though if you want to recreate the VSOE or British Pullman.

Possibly there were a number of variations as paint was hand mixed until the 1960s.

Edited by Butler Henderson

I agree the photos have come out differently. The second shot was taken in the depot shed which could have altered the tones too.

Cheers.

Yes, certainly the indoor shot gives a different hue to the paint. I've checked my original scan (full size and done with a Nikon Coolscan 5) and there are distinct differences in the hue of the name plate and the brown of the lower bodyside when using the colour picker tool in Photoshop.

Hopefully there will be a crop above this comment which is from the full size scan and my thoughts about the black colour can be appreciated. Colour on various film emulsions is subject to differences (as I know when scanning Kodachrome or Agfachrome E6 - different from my baseline Fuji E6 slides) as is peoples' screen set up.

Really can't explain the two different interpretations based on the same photo angle and roughly the same lighting conditions!

Roger

EDIT - No attachment - how do you do this?

Edited by buritonhampshire