New OO gauge Class 73

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nik,

Thanks.

Think I know what's causing the wonky buffers. (on my model at least!!)

The bufferbeam is a separate plastic piece, which I really like, makes detailing and painting much easier!!.

The buffer shanks are all glued into the bufferbeam correctly, but the bufferbeam itself isn't sat flush into the recess for it at one end of the loco. At the other end the bufferbeam is flush in the recess but the outer edges (outside the buffers) are pressing against the little sidesteps, causing the bufferbeam to bend and the buffers to point inwards.

A little filing to the sidesteps and the bufferbeam 'feels' a much better fit, and the buffers point forwards ! :)

Also, the mounting peg for the MW socket needed filing flush to the back of the bufferbeam.

Hopefully the pics help explain. Note the gap to the right of the righthand buffer, caused by the mounting peg being too long. The pic is taken from an odd angle, its actually the right buffer in the pic that's pointing inwards when the model is viewed from the front !

The glue bond broke quite easily when I pushed a scalpel blade between the beam and the chassis block.

HTH

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-51125500-1452712398_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-57888200-1452712404_thumb.jpg

Hi,

My Royal Alex has arrived with me for my Stewarts Lane project ( remember that? ) and all I can say is wow!

Despite the suggested shortcomings noted by others, I am very pleased with my example, the lighter shade of Pullman Umber seems about right to me, if anything, it could be more shiny ?

During 'fitter training' at The Lane, it was noted that one of the 3rd rail current collection shoes ( and slipper ) were in fact missing and not in the box but honestly, I don't think it will be missed.

I drove 101' for many years on VSOE workings and even so cannot claim to know much about the livery details - but to me it looks like an 'ED' and will definitely suit my project.

One oversight on my part is that my Stewarts Lane project involves lots of modern day Pullman cars and so this Loco. will not match them, as it is the cars that are painted the wrong shade of Pullman Umber, although I haven't tried the new arrival with my Golden Age Models 'PHYLLIS' just yet.....I'll try to report back at some point.

Also, the lighting in all cabs will have to go.......

My 101' is a good runner on DC at the moment with no issues, although I would suggest it doesn't get anywhere the prototype's 90mph top speed....

All is good with this one so looking out for a nice GatEx one to partner it !

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nik,

Thanks.

Think I know what's causing the wonky buffers. (on my model at least!!)

The bufferbeam is a separate plastic piece, which I really like, makes detailing and painting much easier!!.

The buffer shanks are all glued into the bufferbeam correctly, but the bufferbeam itself isn't sat flush into the recess for it at one end of the loco. At the other end the bufferbeam is flush in the recess but the outer edges (outside the buffers) are pressing against the little sidesteps, causing the bufferbeam to bend and the buffers to point inwards.

A little filing to the sidesteps and the bufferbeam 'feels' a much better fit, and the buffers point forwards ! :)

Also, the mounting peg for the MW socket needed filing flush to the back of the bufferbeam.

Hopefully the pics help explain. Note the gap to the right of the righthand buffer, caused by the mounting peg being too long. The pic is taken from an odd angle, its actually the right buffer in the pic that's pointing inwards when the model is viewed from the front !

The glue bond broke quite easily when I pushed a scalpel blade between the beam and the chassis block.

HTH

Cheers,

Phil.

Yes this is what I mentioned a while ago although with out photos.

Just a bit of filing of both the chassis casting and plastic moulding plus al title bit of careful bending of the moulding will eventually result in being able to glue them back on with a much better fit.

Hi,

My Royal Alex has arrived with me for my Stewarts Lane project ( remember that? ) and all I can say is wow!

Despite the suggested shortcomings noted by others, I am very pleased with my example, the lighter shade of Pullman Umber seems about right to me, if anything, it could be more shiny ?

During 'fitter training' at The Lane, it was noted that one of the 3rd rail current collection shoes ( and slipper ) were in fact missing and not in the box but honestly, I don't think it will be missed.

I drove 101' for many years on VSOE workings and even so cannot claim to know much about the livery details - but to me it looks like an 'ED' and will definitely suit my project.

One oversight on my part is that my Stewarts Lane project involves lots of modern day Pullman cars and so this Loco. will not match them, as it is the cars that are painted the wrong shade of Pullman Umber, although I haven't tried the new arrival with my Golden Age Models 'PHYLLIS' just yet.....I'll try to report back at some point.

Also, the lighting in all cabs will have to go.......

My 101' is a good runner on DC at the moment with no issues, although I would suggest it doesn't get anywhere the prototype's 90mph top speed....

All is good with this one so looking out for a nice GatEx one to partner it !

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Come on Mr Shedmaster, show us the photos of the ED inside The Lane!!!

Come on Mr Shedmaster, show us the photos of the ED inside The Lane!!!

Hi Mr Grimley,

Happy New Year to you Sir !

Happy to oblige with some pics for you, one here and there will be some over on my Stew Lane topic shortly so as not to hijack these pages......

During training at The Lane today, we practised coupling onto other vehicles, in this case Pullman Car 'PHYLLIS' from the Golden Age Models fleet :

post-7088-0-45645300-1452721294_thumb.jpg

I'm more than happy with the colour matching here, although the prototype PHYLLIS is in far from pristine condition at the present time at Stew Lane.

I'm gonna stick to my guns here and say that yep, I'm definitely loving this new 73'.........I wonder if I can rob a shoe and slipper assembly from somewhere ?

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

This morning I took the buffer beam off one end of a Royal Alex. On both my 73s it's just one end that the buffers badly point in towards each other. One of these also points downwards on Royal Alex.

So I prized the buffer beam off with small jewellers screw driver, filed and glue off both the chassis casting and plastic buffer beam then filed down the rear of the outer portions of the buffer beam. Very similar to Phils method above but filing the plastic mouding also helps IMHO.

A little careful twisting and bending of the moulding straightened everything out and the the loco is now sitting upside down whilst the superglue dries during the day. Both myb73s will hopefully get a run on Star Lane this Saturday at the Guildford show

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Discuss!

Definitely prefer the Dapol colours, even if still not quite right. The lemony yellow still jars though but the bodysides look good.

Hi Mr Grimley,

Happy New Year to you Sir !

Happy to oblige with some pics for you, one here and there will be some over on my Stew Lane topic shortly so as not to hijack these pages......

During training at The Lane today, we practised coupling onto other vehicles, in this case Pullman Car 'PHYLLIS' from the Golden Age Models fleet :

attachicon.gifAlex & Phyllis.jpg

I'm more than happy with the colour matching here, although the prototype PHYLLIS is in far from pristine condition at the present time at Stew Lane.

I'm gonna stick to my guns here and say that yep, I'm definitely loving this new 73'.........I wonder if I can rob a shoe and slipper assembly from somewhere ?

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Thanks Mr Shedmaster, I will visit your thread.

• RMweb Gold

Good grief - twenty -four hours have passed since anyone has commented on this thread. Has it finally run out of steam?

Dont' you mean diesel or electric??? :sungum:

i added microstrip inside the body shell of Royal Alex last night to get rid of the inward bow. Both cabs seated correctly on this one but the packing still required although on one side I had to file it down a little to as it did make it bow out a touch. Looks a lot better now.

Also painted the inside 'roof' section under the grilles whihc come painted white but with some dark earth it looks a lot better through the grilles

Edited by roundhouse

Just read the review in the latest Horby magazine, they love it so the people on this forum must be the"ill-informed quibblers, who contradict each other" that they refer to.

At least the review in RM recognized some of the issues with the buffer beam and the livery.

E

• Like 1

Just read the review in the latest Hornby magazine, they love it so the people on this forum must be the"ill-informed quibblers, who contradict each other" that they refer to.

Well HM have never been one for unbiased views.

• RMweb Premium

Just read the review in the latest Horby magazine, they love it .....

That's probably because they reviewed the early green one, the only one (I think) with the correct coloured paint.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I see Kernow, on their latest newsletter, are hinting at an Exclusive 73 coming their way. No further details, unless you have better info?

If you read the full sentence it also suggests the unannounced commission might be a 37 or a 56 .........

I had thought after recent events that they might not deal with Dapol again, or vice versa, other than purely as retailers of the brand's mainstream releases.  We shall see.

Edited by Gwiwer

Just read the review in the latest Horby magazine, they love it so the people on this forum must be the"ill-informed quibblers, who contradict each other" that they refer to.

At least the review in RM recognized some of the issues with the buffer beam and the livery.

E

I will add myself to the quiblers. In all the pics in HM the loco is shown sporting a diesel type screw coupling in red. AFAIK all 73 had buckeyes from new. A red coupling might be hung from the drawhook but it would be an emergency double ended one hanging over the dropped buckeye. Afitted screw coupling under a pulman rubbing plate just looks wrong

First impressions to me:

The Hornby one looks too dark (the shade of brown).  

The Hornby Pullman lettering looks better than the Dapol

We could do with the Lima one to compare with too!

I recall seeing a wide variety of shades of umber on Pullmans in the 1960s and certainly the cars in the Bournemouth Belle varied in colour quite considerably. Some were very dark - the early shade weathered i presume - and some were nearer the Dapol colour (the later shade ex-works). Which shade is correct for the 73, I wouldn't like to say, as I never saw it and can only work from photographs. Photos are notoriously unreliable for judging colour, photos in books make the process one stage worse, and as for judging colour on computer screens, well, you might as well forget it. (CJL)

• Like 1

I recall seeing a wide variety of shades of umber on Pullmans in the 1960s and certainly the cars in the Bournemouth Belle varied in colour quite considerably. Some were very dark - the early shade weathered i presume - and some were nearer the Dapol colour (the later shade ex-works). Which shade is correct for the 73, I wouldn't like to say, as I never saw it and can only work from photographs. Photos are notoriously unreliable for judging colour, photos in books make the process one stage worse, and as for judging colour on computer screens, well, you might as well forget it. (CJL)

While agreeing with this, photos with more than one of the subjects in view can give a good comparison. An example of this is a photo of three Southdown buses, wearing three variations of the Southdown apple green. Such photos can put paid to arguments about 'correct' shades of colour.

Now, has anyone got a good photo showing the Pullman 73 on the VSOE Pullmans with all at the same angle and no shadows to throw spanners in the works? ;)

While agreeing with this, photos with more than one of the subjects in view can give a good comparison. An example of this is a photo of three Southdown buses, wearing three variations of the Southdown apple green. Such photos can put paid to arguments about 'correct' shades of colour.

Now, has anyone got a good photo showing the Pullman 73 on the VSOE Pullmans with all at the same angle and no shadows to throw spanners in the works? ;)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ajvajv/5492556756

That's perfect. It shows the colours to be pretty uniform throughout the train, including the 73. That gives a fair comparison and a good indication of the tones, even though, as Chris (dibber25) pointed out, it cannot be used for exact matches of shades of paint.

It also means that for use with the Pullmans, the 73 should match them. However, the problem then raises its head: should the Hornby Pullmans be the lighter shade or the 73 the darker shade. The photo suggests strongly the former should be the case, for modern usage. Of course, it can also be argued that Hornby didn't model their Pullmans as the modern versions in the VSOE, and that the cours may well be correct for the 1940s/'50s/'60s.

That leaves the keen modeller to repaint the Pullmans, or the less keen to accept the compromises. In this case (livery detail errors aside), I think the Dapol colour choice on their Pullman 73 looks fairly close to what is indicated in that photo.

OK, so the next challenge is for someone to sellotape a Dapol Pullman class 73  and a Hornby Pullman coach to the side of the VSOE somewhere then photograph the lot in full sunshine!  :jester:

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

I'd say the Pullman ED is probably the best of the bunch as far as livery is concerned, the detail discrepancies already pointed out aside.

Didn't the VSOE use a number of Brighton Belle cars too? If we're going to split hairs around vehicles being in the wrong livery, at least we should be comparing the right ones. The Hornby coaches aren't in VSOE livery in any case, they do however compare well to photos of more than half a century ago...which has its own well publicised issues. As far as I'm concerned, the Dapol ED and Hornby Pullmans have no business being compared with one another until the latter are produced in the modern livery.