New OO gauge Class 73

Hi Roger,

I did take a look at the pic and over exposed it 3 stops in Photoshop to hopefully see the base colour of the nameplate. It definitely has a brown tone compared to the black bogies etc.

72101extract.jpg

Hope that helps,

A

Thinking about the contentious issue of colour on models:

There should, at least, be consistency within a supplier's range. So Dapol in the first instance should have matched their class 73 liveries to those on their other models. Unfortunately, taking BR blue as an example, Dapol have failed in this respect in the past (compare the 22 with the Western). Bachmann and Heljan,in the main, do not vary their colours across their ranges (I know that there are some well known exceptions but they mostly are consistent). Hornby have been less consistent, particularly of late (HST, class 60).

If you are a clever supplier you would ensure consistency with your competitors' colours. You will know that your customers will buy locos, coaches and wagons from all suppliers and will expect to run them together. Therefore, in order to maximise sales, you would think that a supplier would match colours with competitors' products. So, despite the fact that the Pullman colours on 73101 may be 'right', Dapol would have been more savvy if they had matched them to the Hornby Pullman stock.

I know of instances where competitors products have been sent to Chinese factories so that they can match colours. This is not difficult.

'Simples'!

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

despite the fact that the Pullman colours on 73101 may be 'right', Dapol would have been more savvy if they had matched them to the Hornby Pullman stock.

But that would draw cries of "Foul" from all those who know the "Pullman" brown on 73101 to be far brighter than the Umber on the Pullman cars in the era represented by Hornby.  If you want a matching rake of EDL + British Pullmans you're going to have to indulge in some wholesale respraying of the cars.  If you want a rake of matched EDL + Hornby Pullmans then the loco is going to be much darker than it was ever painted in reality and you respray the loco.

Hi Rick

Damned if you do.......

I still think that sales would be higher on models if colours matched. You may be right that some people would not be happy as far as the Pullmans are concerned but I think the silent majority would want the colours to match.

Regards

Andrew

I would imagine that the choice of colour on the Pullman 73 is the responsability of Gaugemaster, the shop that commissioned it and not Dapol who should just be following instructions.

If the manufacturer then ignores these instructions or fails to convey them to the factory that is another matter.

I am told my 73 124 is en route from sunny Cornwall, but that they do not yet have 73 135 in stock. But I have seen other people on here say they now have 135. Anyone else having this problem? I hope Kernow will get a delivery, but maybe there is a silver lining in that they will get the second batch with better livery colours and corrected control unit.

Anne Optimyst

I have seen one photo of the loco Brighton evening Argus being a tad lighter than the Pullman cars behind it. That is one out of many so....

I think I will accept this slight difference. I could darken the loco with gloss varnish but strangely, I actually feel quite happy with the Pullman 73!

Would love to gave Broadlands in BR blue if they can get the blue right.

My 124 arrived today - no damage whatsoever, despite damage to the outer packaging. Have only run her up and down a test track on DC for a few minutes and no obvious problems, other than a little noisy which usually goes after running in. The colours don't seem that awful in the flesh, and not that noticeable next to my Limby 73's and Heljan 33's, under artificial light. Weathering will blend it in fine. In reality, BR blue and yellow faded and stained to all sorts of colours, given they were rarely cleaned, so it is not a problem for me.

• Like 1

So does anyone know where we can get brown nameplates or how to paint the black ones then?

Rich

.You can brush on (or soak) Mekpak/Liquid Poly/Plastic weld or nail varnish remover(pink bottle from pound shop) and work the paint off with a stiff bristle brush.

Brush or spray the brown onto the nameplate and when that's totally dry (at least 24 hrs) rub some finishing paper (1200 or similar) over the top of the plate until the raised bits are silver again.

Do it all on a flat solid surface.

Edited by Andrew F

Never mind the colour - don't Andy and Roger's images show the nameplate in a completely different position to that on the model? And I suspect that the lining and possibly the lower umber panel is wrong too - the lined out box on the cab side seems a different proportion to that by Dapol. The radiuses in each corner may be too big - let alone the shape being too tall...

Such a shame - its an absolutely lovely model - with shockingly bad livery applications. 

No!

Love to know why everyone is convinced salvation will come via the 2nd batch.............. 1st ones have to sell/go stale 1st..............and there has not even been a 2nd batch announced either...........

Edited by LaGrange

• RMweb Premium

I have got a positive comment about them that I haven't seen mentioned already-

They are dead easy to strip down, for painting in to the proper colours !!

My current W I P, a 73124 gradually turning into 73128.

So much for a simple renumbering project, so far it's had the Yellow resprayed, the Blue resprayed, 'fibreglass' roof panels added......

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-25551300-1452637195_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

seeing as stuff falls off, i take it the exhaust cover was no problem, mines back in its box where it shall stay until i get round to do exactly what you are doing

I have got a positive comment about them that I haven't seen mentioned already-

They are dead easy to strip down, for painting in to the proper colours !!

My current W I P, a 73124 gradually turning into 73128.

So much for a simple renumbering project, so far it's had the Yellow resprayed, the Blue resprayed, 'fibreglass' roof panels added......

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

The exhaust cover is held on with 4 clips, no glue involved, I just pushed the clips out from inside with a small screwdriver.

It took less than 5 mins to completely strip all the parts off, not because anything was loose, but there wasn't ridiculous amounts of glue on everything!

The more I've done to it the more I like the look of the base model.

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1