GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

I'll email scans of the relevant pages from the current catalogue tomorrow.

Dave

Jack,

Just spotted a complete Zero Zephyrs/ABS B4 kit on eBay with a Buy it Now price of £224.50 if that helps.

Thanks guys!

Going for a re-name as well ?

Sorry to be vague, will you be rebuilding any parts of it, (not that they need rebuilding) or will you just be fixing up the front buffer-beam? Also, PM inbound!

Jack

Hello Jack,  When l built 229' it was a big challenge for me, as l had never scratch built a loco before, and l had just got into O gauge at the time, which started with a Heywood kit of a 0-6-0 G6, while at one of the O gauge shows l saw some lovely Bullied's, (always a favourite of mine) but at a price l could never afford.

So l had a brainwave to scratch build one for myself, so through a friend of Andy's l got a drawing of an un-rebuilt Bullied, so l was off on a journey into the unknown,  first mistake was that no one would sell me any white metal detail parts, so l had to do a lot of searching to get things like axle-boxes etc etc,

But l continued, having to make most of the parts required, so yes l will do a lot of re-building, like the front end, as l was never happy with it, and the roof and cab, the tender was OK, l was happy with that, l made a 4-500 gallon high sided tender at first but decided to cut it down, then l re-named her to 'Fighter Pilot' and l think l will re-name her again back to a Squadron,

Regards,    btw thank you for the e-mail it was a great help, thank you...

• Like 2

Hello Jack,  When l built 229' it was a big challenge for me, as l had never scratch built a loco before, and l had just got into O gauge at the time, which started with a Heywood kit of a 0-6-0 G6, while at one of the O gauge shows l saw some lovely Bullied's, (always a favourite of mine) but at a price l could never afford.

So l had a brainwave to scratch build one for myself, so through a friend of Andy's l got a drawing of an un-rebuilt Bullied, so l was off on a journey into the unknown,  first mistake was that no one would sell me any white metal detail parts, so l had to do a lot of searching to get things like axle-boxes etc etc,

But l continued, having to make most of the parts required, so yes l will do a lot of re-building, like the front end, as l was never happy with it, and the roof and cab, the tender was OK, l was happy with that, l made a 4-500 gallon high sided tender at first but decided to cut it down, then l re-named her to 'Fighter Pilot' and l think l will re-name her again back to a Squadron,

Regards,    btw thank you for the e-mail it was a great help, thank you...

Afternoon George,

Testament to your ability that you chose a bulleid as your first loco to scratch-build! I assume she'll be re-painted into BR guise?

No problem, If you ever need help sourcing a prototype photo i'll do my best to help!

Jack

Thanks Jack, Yes it was a big job to tackle for your first job, but as l have said l have always loved the Bullied Pacific's l have had loads of models (OO) all of my life, so l knew a lot about them from the start, just found out that Alan Gibson might be able to supply a lot of the white metal castings l require ?

Regards

Thanks Jack, Yes it was a big job to tackle for your first job, but as l have said l have always loved the Bullied Pacific's l have had loads of models (OO) all of my life, so l knew a lot about them from the start, just found out that Alan Gibson might be able to supply a lot of the white metal castings l require ?

Regards

They do have a charm about them. It might be worth having a chat to 'N15 class' as he's built a Bulleid Pacific, perhaps he can lend a hand, best of luck! Look forward to seeing what you'll do!

Jack

Hello Jack, Peter has been on the thread as l was building 229' (in fact it was my effort that got him motivated to build his Bullied), and what a cracking job he has made of it .l have decided to keep the original name of  '229 Squadron'  for my bullied, as l only changed the name to satisfy the guy who bought and ruined it,

George..

• Like 1

Well George your W/C is just started its first major overhaul.. I have just finished mine. Good luck with the work I know it will be excellent as usual. The K looks the part now.  No I will not be copying you with this one, you gave me the push to start Watersmeet.

Hello Peter, Nice to hear from you again, well l have been side tracked lately building a depot for my locos, 'Abbot's Bridge 72G'  l was going to build a layout but nothing looked right with the space l have, certainly couldn't run '229 Squadron', (that's why l sold her) so l went for a depot where l can have them running in and out, large or small,

Inspired by your 34030 'Watersmeet'  thread, (cracking job btw)  l want to give mine a major overhaul a total rebuilding plan with a new re-built chassis, cab, front end and roof, l am happy with the tender, just needs new ladders, but l wont be starting this for a while, as l want to get (72G) tracks and electrics done first..

Regards  George..

Hello Peter, Nice to hear from you again, well l have been side tracked lately building a depot for my locos, 'Abbot's Bridge 72G'  l was going to build a layout but nothing looked right with the space l have, certainly couldn't run '229 Squadron', (that's why l sold her) so l went for a depot where l can have them running in and out, large or small,

Inspired by your 34030 'Watersmeet'  thread, (cracking job btw)  l want to give mine a major overhaul a total rebuilding plan with a new re-built chassis, cab, front end and roof, l am happy with the tender, just needs new ladders, but l wont be starting this for a while, as l want to get (72G) tracks and electrics done first..

Regards  George..

Thanks george.

Your 229 is the reason I finally cleared watersmeet out of the cupboard. I do like your thinking with 72G I will have to get on with someting soon, I should really start planing. I have started a new loco today, while the hall is still awaiting spares.

I am sure once you you get stuck in 229 will come together very quickly.

Hi George, Are you going to the Halifax O Gauge show in June?

Andy

Hello all,

if you go to Halifax show this year you may be disappointed as the venue has been double booked and the Guild has been kicked back (after over eight years). This years venue is in Whitliffe (not sure about the spelling) school / collage / sports hall,  Cleckheaton, BD19 3AQ .  

My spelling of the places may not be right the the post code is, just type it in to Google maps and it will show you where it's at.

ATB

OzzyO.

Hello Peter,  When l built 229 Sqaudron it was all a bit rushed, l was doing fine until  Andy (Bodgit)  had an open day at his club, and l want to show her off, so l rushed it a bit and took short-cuts, and l feel l messed it up a bit, so l will do a nice job on her this time, and take my time,

The reason l went for a shed was purely l have no room for a layout, well not one that would have had 229 Sqaudron on away, would look silly with one coach, so 72G was born, and now l can just run engine's in nice and slow drop their fire's in the ash-pit, move over to the next track for coal / water then into the shed area waiting their next turn, that's the plan away

georgeT

Hello Bodgit, Yes l will stick with Modelmaster's from now on as they are very good value, also l have decided to totally overhaul and re-paint my scratch built Fowler 3f jinty, as the last paint job on her was not to good, she is soaking in a nice tub of dettol right now.

l have a few projects on the go at the moment, what with building 'Abbot's Bridge' as well as trying to find parts for my Battle of Britain '229 Squadron'

post-7716-0-50660200-1365510569_thumb.jpg

Well the first loco l had ever scratch built a Fowler 3f Jinty, with Tin and scrap brass and a few white metal casting's, has had a good soak in Dettol for a week, and everything has gone, great stuff

post-7716-0-94222700-1366021612_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-88862600-1366021625_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hello Cav, Yes l know what you mean, sometimes it is a shame to paint them, they even look good in just grey primer  

btw, l have been following your new venture, and must say it's looking good, is it hard to re-spray your N gauge stock to get the correct colour's as they are a lot smaller than OO ? do you have to thin the paint more to get it right ?

George..

post-7716-0-47196000-1366024429_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-30414500-1366024433_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi, l want to continue my build of a 'Johnson' 1f  0-6-0, l will be going to the O gauge show at Leigh on the 27th April, so l can buy all the bit's (Hopefully) l need to finish off the loco...

georgeT

post-7716-0-45393100-1366363103_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi George, that is really coming on a treat mate, well done.

DON'T FORGET, weather it before you coal it, otherwise you will colour the coal.

Andy

I have to admit, I (and many others) do spray the coal with a light dusting... It's just too shiny otherwise.. Especially if you break up a lump of welsh steam coal.. Haha

JB.

This looks nice George, I hope you get all the bits you need at the weekend, shame I can't make it but Dee has something planned for me, (63 on Sat,)

All the best and keep posting the pics, great photography mate, as with Abbots Bridge in the Layouts Section you are doing a great job.

Andy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, Been doing other modelling projects lately (72G), but found some time yesterday to try out some Humbrol acrylic satin varnish in a spray can, l bought at the Halifax (Cleckheaton) show, and l must say its wonderful stuff and dries very quickly.

post-7716-0-46920700-1370168769_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-75091900-1370168785_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Hi, Been doing other modelling projects lately (72G), but found some time yesterday to try out some Humbrol acrylic satin varnish in a spray can, l bought at the Halifax (Cleckheaton) show, and l must say its wonderful stuff and dries very quickly.

Very nice, wonderful finish mate.

Bodgit.