GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

Hello Duncan, Yes you had better wait until its dry before spraying, the hair dryer trick wont work as well if its damp, so you better wait, wont be long before with are back in the days of endless sunshine hahaha

George..

Hi George

Really like the K class. Have to admit I have a bit of a soft spot for these loco's. I've built a few, all in 4mm.

Are you planning to line it in Mixed traffic livery? If so i'm affraid you got the wrong cab on the loco. They were rebuilt I think by the Southern before BR got hold of them and i've not seen a picture of one in BR livery with the early cab style.

There's quite a few differences and they vary from loco to loco.

Hope this helps and i don't mean to be a party pooper. It's a lovely build all the same and i'd love to build one myself in 7mm.

Cheers

51E

Hello 51E,  Not a party pooper at all,  l didn't realise when l bought the kit from ACE that it was indeed the southern one, further searching found that as you rightly say were ALL altered by the SR with the N / U Class type cab, l guess l should have asked ACE if they could sell me the corret cab, So l guess it will have to be a southern loco in plain black with 2347 and southern on the tender,

The first kit l ever built was in fact a (Kays) K Class in white metal in the late 70s, oh well live and learn, Thank's for the input anyway..

George..

l guess l should have asked ACE if they could sell me the corret cab, 

Hi George,  just before Christmas I bought a C1 Altlantic from Ace and William supplied me with a Cab from the their A3 kit so that I can build a model of 4419 which had a booster engine fitted to the rear wheels and so had it's cab altered to accommodate it.

Hi Rob / 51E,  Will have a chat to William at ACE tomorrow, to see if l can buy the correct cab for my 'K'class,  if not l don't think it would be to difficult to build one from scratch, seems to be similar to the Fowler 4f cab l built a while ago, as l would really  like to have her in BR mixed traffic livery, thanks again.

George..

George

I think it would look great in BR mixed traffic livery.

Hopefuly you can get one from ACE, if not I would love to see a step by step scratch build of the cab.

Duncan

Hello Duncan,  Sratchbuilding a cab for my 'K' would be pretty straight forward as you could do it in one piece and carefully bend it to shape, as l did when l made my 4f, they look similar..

George..

post-7716-0-13881800-1362346142_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi George, I have just caught up on here and see you are getting to grips with your little dilema, I hope you can sorce a cab, if not as you say with your skills you can soon fabricate one.

Will you use Brass or Nickle this time?

Andy

Hi George

You might be better doing it as a late Southern one as you'd need to change the Dome to a flattened one, a shorter chimney and 2 safety valves instead of the 4.

Cheers

51E

According to a post by Geoff on 29 Nov 2012 on the G0G members forum (Geoff Holt's New Book thread) Part 2 is all written and with Wild Swan. Final proofs were expected by Geoff in mid-Feb and then the book would go to print. Wild Swan seems to be a computer-free zone so things move at a rather ponderous pace - particularly when a book is eagerly awaited!

Dave

The latest edition of MRJ (221) has an advert for part 2 but no availability date yet.

Alan.

Hi, Have had a re-think on my Billington 'K' Class, l just went ahead making the kit without thinking about the end product, now its all finished l have found out with the help of 51E and others that is wrong for the BR version, so l will make the correct cab, change the dome, and get different safety valves, also there is some different pipework on both sides of the loco to alter too, l have found two good photos for reference to copy 32345, hopefully l will have the correct 'K' Class in the end, Thanks for all your help..

George..

Hi George,

There are a number of folk, especially in the GOG who are very quick to dismiss the Ace kits. You have shown that  they can be finished to a very satisfactory level, nice work. I have a J69 and an N7 to do when time permits and your Terrier has just pushed them to the top of the roundtuits pile!

All the Best,

Bob

Hello Bob, l found the Ace kits a big challenge, l learned from many people in the hobby that they were indeed hard work, and they were not wrong, the big problem l found was nothing was really square, and the tabs did not marry up with whatever they should have done,

But in the end for £99 what else did l expect, after all l was going to scratch build an A1x anyway, then l would have had to search for all the castings l would have needed, l thought get the kit and go for it, as an aid to scratch building, with all that taken on board it was good fun to build even though its not 100% correct. had to change the chassis, l managed to get one from JPL with the coupling rods and plungers..

The 'K' Class from Ace is just the same, hard work, but fun, and cheap, thanks for dropping in..

Regards George..

I have a J69 and an N7 to do when time permits and your Terrier has just pushed them to the top of the roundtuits pile!

All the Best,

Bob

Hi Bob, I hope that you are going to share the builds with us?

I now have 3 Ace kits in the pile so it would be nice to share our experiences

I agree with George, the Ace kits build into lovely models, you as a modeller have to put a little more into them. For me I would rather have for my own use 2 or 3 Ace kits with my input than a shake the box kit.

My A1 was from them was built as one of the versions not in the kit. I was very pleased with the way it turned out.

If you don't want to put anything into your models they wont be for you.

Changed the lining on the 'Terrier' a little and added the correct emblem, didn't like the early one, there is still plenty to do like paint the bufferbeam red and the dics white, brake details on the chassis etc, but shes almost ready for service on 'Abbot's Bridge' to do a bit of shunting ?

George..

post-7716-0-56833800-1362775720_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-21809100-1362775730_thumb.jpg

• Like 7