GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

Hi, Having a little break from modelling buildings for a while, as l have run out of 2mm plywood and l am waiting for more to arrive, so l thought l would try a catch up on my locomotive stud, the resin 3f Jinty 0-6-0T  has got a new coat on and she looks lovely, also l gave the K Class a coat as well,

post-7716-0-84118700-1362150508_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-08826600-1362150519_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-84466600-1362150556_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-07481100-1362150563_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-38406500-1362150569_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-87960700-1362150623_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-74418700-1362150634_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-52953200-1362150643_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-52149500-1362150651_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-57550600-1362150659_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Looking good George. :locomotive:

I'm obviously living in the wrong part of the country at the moment. I've got quite a bit that needs priming but the weather isn't good enough. :help:  :banghead:

Duncan

Duncan, l use a trick l found out many year's ago, as long as is not wet outside you can use her hair dryer, give it a good old wash in nice hot water etc, then a good blast with the dryer and then pop outside and spray it when it's still warm, work's for me...  even the resin one got the same treatment...

George..

Hi All,

I THINK that the small hole is either:

1 For putting a pep pipe through to slake the coal dust

or

2 so that the long handles of the fire irons have somewhere to go.

But the above of course is a GWR man's interpretation...

All the best,

Castle

Hello Ray, Good question, l think as l am building my 'Abbot's Bridge' layout with a possible brewery in the back ground, l might try a saddle tank 0-6-0, that would be employed by the brewery, or something along those lines, have enough on my plate at the mo'

George..  (PS) Love the way the coffee pots coming on what number have you got in mind ?

Duncan, l use a trick l found out many year's ago, as long as is not wet outside you can use her hair dryer, give it a good old wash in nice hot water etc, then a good blast with the dryer and then pop outside and spray it when it's still warm, work's for me...  even the resin one got the same treatment...

George..

George

My problem over the last few days is that I've got lots of small items to prime but the wind has just been too strong (when it's not been raining)

Duncan

It's daft question time, on the rear of the jinty cab you can see a small covered hole, can any one tell me what it's for? I think that I know.

OzzyO.

Isn't it to enable withdrawing the regulator shaft without taking the cab apart?

Nick

Hello Duncan,   Will add real coal to the tender, cab fall-plate and crew, mixed traffic lining and late creast, and then a subtle bit of weathering, and some southern destination disc's, and that should be it,

George..

Hello Ray, Good question, l think as l am building my 'Abbot's Bridge' layout with a possible brewery in the back ground, l might try a saddle tank 0-6-0, that would be employed by the brewery, or something along those lines, have enough on my plate at the mo'

George..  (PS) Love the way the coffee pots coming on what number have you got in mind ?

Hi George

I love the look of the K class it has come on fantasticly, you must be very proud of it.

My Q1 (charlie) has just had the first coat of matt black paint, will be putting on my thread today.

I am thinking of a first time, having a go at scratchbuilding a loco. I have brought a book the other week at a NG show from Tichfill Thunderbolt stall, LOCOMOTIVE MODELLING from scratch and etched kits part one, by Geoff Holt, need to get part two. Were do you source your brass and N/S from and also scale drawings.

RAY70B  

Hello Ray, Glad to hear you are thinking of scratch building, but keep it simple like 0-6-0 with no valve gear to worry about, and research the loco first and make sure you can buy all the bits you'll need ? when you are at a show try to buy brass tubes for the boiler etc etc, then when you have all the bits then you can start, there will be no stopping you..

George..

Hi George

I love the look of the K class it has come on fantasticly, you must be very proud of it.

My Q1 (charlie) has just had the first coat of matt black paint, will be putting on my thread today.

I am thinking of a first time, having a go at scratchbuilding a loco. I have brought a book the other week at a NG show from Tichfill Thunderbolt stall, LOCOMOTIVE MODELLING from scratch and etched kits part one, by Geoff Holt, need to get part two. Were do you source your brass and N/S from and also scale drawings.

RAY70B  

Hi Ray, I don't think that Geoff has written part two yet (part one has only recently been published).

Hello Peter, Yes it will be fully lined out, but l dont know what with at the moment, having a problem with the fox transfers, just cant seem to get a straight line, the only other option is pressfix and l find them hard work too, did have an idea tho' use the bow-pen just to do the grey outline only and use the fox transfer white/red and corners to finish, this is a picture of my first attempt, what do you think, would be a shame not to use fox as l have lots left over ? by the way l have stripped and repainted the tank side on the A1x again, just an idea ay least it will be straight ?

George..  (PS) Next time the grey line will be thinner ?

post-7716-0-68491100-1362249876_thumb.jpg

Edited by georgeT
  • Like 4

Great idea George,

Can I might make a suggestion?

I would go over it with gloss varnish or a few thin coats of klear before you start to line it. You will find it goes on much better. It might also be worth doing similar to a piece of plasticard to practice the lining with your bow pen first.

The beauty of a gloss finish is that any mistakes can easily be wiped of with a brush and some white spirit up to 24 hours later (I find you are better leaving it at least a couple of hours before attempting to alter any mistakes).my experiences on a a satin finish is that you seem to get some smudging that is hard to get rid of. Transfers seem more workable on a gloss finish too. 

Edited by Rob Pulham

Hi Ray, I don't think that Geoff has written part two yet (part one has only recently been published).

According to a post by Geoff on 29 Nov 2012 on the G0G members forum (Geoff Holt's New Book thread) Part 2 is all written and with Wild Swan. Final proofs were expected by Geoff in mid-Feb and then the book would go to print. Wild Swan seems to be a computer-free zone so things move at a rather ponderous pace - particularly when a book is eagerly awaited!

Dave

• Like 2