GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

This is coming on nicely, you were nice and lucky with the tender. It has saved you a lot of time. It must be really nice that the two footplates line up. Last time I had a loco and tender from different sources there was a millimeter difference in height, and this was in 4mm scale, which I had to iron out.

Hello Rob / Peter, Yes it is going together very well, first l got all of the white metal detailing parts from Premier Components also l bought the chassis and motor / gearbox, all excellent there was no flash to clean up on the white metal compnents and all were packed in seperate bags, and the chassis was a dream to build, had a real long chat with Bill who was very helpful he even makes plunger pick-ups, then he said he had a resin tender going so l bought that as well, so l will have the choice of two tenders.........

George

post-7716-0-37602900-1344580752_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Peter, The tender did not at first line up with the loco, l had to make a few adjusments to get it right, but looking and loads of photos of the 4fs quite a few did not line up at all, as you can see in this picture.............

post-7716-0-42739800-1344760596_thumb.jpg

Andy, The chosen motor is from Premier Components they supply a mashima with a nice solid brass gearbox already assembled for £40, it runs like a dream, also they supply nice chunky plungers as you can see for yourself in the pictures...........

post-7716-0-54740400-1344761568_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-02817200-1344761592_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hello Peter, No l dont think so, I'm a southern man really, just that l have always liked the Fowler Jintys and the 4f, the jinty was the first loco type l ever owned back in the early 60s in OO, and when l saw one in O gauge, well that was it, l just had to have one, same with the 4f, so when l am at Telford, l will be looking for something like A1X - E1 or a M7 something that will fit into my southern shed, l can get away with the Jinty and 4f, if l pretend its on the S&D somewhere...........

George 'PS love the blog on your WC/BB very good, have you decided on a name yet ?'

Hello Rob, yes l am very proud of my two Ex-LMS locos, l have always loved the 3 & 4fs, so l wont be building anymore ?, lm going to try to stick with Ex-Southern and Ex-GWR tanks, really fancy a 57xx pannier tank, nice and grubby with all the bits on her, like buckets, fire irons etc.

George

Hi George, these may be of interest then?

I came across then by chance recently and although I haven't actually seen any in the flesh I plan to order some of the sets of tools to add to my locos.

Tools

Fire Irons

Should be a doddle for a scratch build given your talents George. No need to pay 20 notes when some scrap wire and waste can be used! Rob, those Roles tools are seriously good as is the 4F though............

• Like 1

Thanks very much for the tips Rob they look very useful, gave the 4f a good run-in on the test bed and she runs lovely, so l'm all finished now with nothing to build at the moment, but l have a few irons in the fire ? (no pun intended)........

Hello LaScala, you would be amazed what you can save with a scrap brass box and a bit of inventiveness???........

George

post-7716-0-66657500-1345711861_thumb.jpg

Edited by georgeT
  • Like 5

Well shes nearly ready for some shunting duties, all l have to do is touch up the paintwork, then give her some weathering and shes finished, ready for the road, lm looking for an Muansell N or U class loco kit when at telford..........

George.

post-7716-0-51989700-1345892943_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-16902800-1345892978_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hello Sir Madog, Yes she is a beauty, but when l put the sandboxes on l realised they are a bit too wide, l should have checked photos first, so l have to remove them and make them a bit narrower, also l need to add some pipe work too, there seems to be a pipe hanging down at the front end on some 4fs l have three days off now so l can put things right and give her a light dusting of weathering........

Hi Andy, Well l sold 229 Sqaudron a few months ago, but doing a deal and a bit of duckin' an divin' l have managed to get her back, so l think a re-build is on the cards, l was never really happy with the roof, so l may search to find a proper roof somewhere, but thats another project to work on (much later)...........