GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

Hello George,

if it's the pipe that comes out of the smokebox on the L/H side it's the feed pipe for the exhaust steam injector behind the cab foot steps. If you decide to fit this pipe you will also need a grease separator under the footplate between the middle and rear drivers.

A nice job by the way.

OzzyO.

Hello OzzyO, l have seen on some 4fs the pipe hanging down on the front left hand side, was it not on the other side as well ?, thank you for help, also it looks to me that the front sand boxes were indeed narrower than the others ? also the filler top was flush with the footplate ? any comments welcome.

George

lm looking for an Muansell N or U class loco kit when at telford..........

I think there are just two choices for both classes; the Ace and David Andrews kits. Ace kits can be divided into the 'goes together quite well' (LBSC Terrier...provenance ex-Ravenscale) and 'bordering on unmerchantable quality' (LT&SR tank...provenance gawd knows where), and from comments on the 7mm Yahoo group over the last decade suggests the Ace N is at the 'frustrating' end of the scale. At Telford seek out the Guild Technical Information Officer, Bob Alderman (he'll probably be on or about Stand G6), as I believe he built an Ace N several years ago and will give you chapter and verse. Personally I'd avoid the potential frustration and dig a little deeper for the Andrews kits which are always competently designed and a pleasant experience to build.

Take your point Adrian, my thoughts are when l scratch build a loco, and have built the body/tender, l then have to search for the bits like domes chimney and anything l can get hold of for that loco, l know the the Ace kits are not the best, but they are cheap and you do get all the bits without the search, l do like a challenge, but l will have a good look round at Telford to see whats there.........

George

Hello OzzyO, l have seen on some 4fs the pipe hanging down on the front left hand side, was it not on the other side as well ?, thank you for help, also it looks to me that the front sand boxes were indeed narrower than the others ? also the filler top was flush with the footplate ? any comments welcome.

George

Hello George,

I've never seen a photo of one on the R/H side, only ever on the L/H side on R/H drive locos.

OzzyO.

A few pictures of the 4f which is finished apart from a light weathering, thanks to Ozzyo with information on the pipe which is at the front L/H side (from the footplate) which is now in position, also l thought l would add some cab doors, so l think she is now ready for some shunting duties, also need to put some real coal into the tender.............

George

post-7716-0-33214400-1346229172_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-20624400-1346229207_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-94260300-1346229234_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hello Backjumper, Have taken all your advice on board, have sent Ace an e-mail, the reply from them was that all the kits will be there at Telford for me to have a good look in the box, he has sent me a photo of his N class in southern green and to be honest it looks pretty good, l would have to add some extra detail, so will have to wait and see......................

George.

Great to see the 4F approaching completion. There does appear to be some confusion about the pipes, though:

if it's the pipe that comes out of the smokebox on the L/H side it's the feed pipe for the exhaust steam injector behind the cab foot steps. If you decide to fit this pipe you will also need a grease separator under the footplate between the middle and rear drivers...

I've never seen a photo of one on the R/H side, only ever on the L/H side on R/H drive locos.

First the simple question, yes, the front sandbox filler should be flush with the running plate.

Now the pipes. As Ozzyo said, the exhaust steam injector was fitted to a small number of both MR and LMS RHD engines and is always on the left hand side. A large pipe, probably about 4" diameter emerges horizontally from the centre of the vertical part of the smokebox wrapper above the snifter valve, turns downwards through 90 degrees and passes through the running plate. On some engines it is next seen passing outside the top of the steps between the front two axles. Then there is the large, somewhat bulbous, separator visible below the valance outside the rear sandbox. The pipe then turns downwards just behind the front of the cab before entering the injector level with the bottom of the cab steps. The injector is a substantial thing and is far from hidden by the steps. In other words, you cannot miss these parts on a photo of the left hand side of an engine with this feature.

On the other hand, the pipe that George has modelled wrapping around the front sandbox is, as far as I can tell from photos, a steam heat pipe. It should also reappear below the valance immediately in front of the cab steps before curving downwards and disappearing behind them. Steam heating was fitted to a relatively small number of 4Fs, both RHD and LHD, and the pipe always appears on the left hand side.

Nick

Edited by buffalo

Hello George,

as Buffalo has said we have got a bit mixed up about the pipe that you were talking about. This is the one that I was on about.

post-8920-0-64924100-1346235547_thumb.jpg

I would agree with Buffalo that it's for the steam heating. I'll have to get my book out on the 4Fs and see if I can come up with any Nos. for them.

OzzyO.

PS. in the above photo the front sand box's appearer to come out in front of the face of the front driving wheel. The same as on this one with the pipe. No steam heating bag is visible but they were taken off in the summer at some/most sheds. Sorry about any misunderstanding.

post-8920-0-83018900-1346236786_thumb.jpg

Edit for the PS.

Edited by ozzyo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy, Yes it was good to see you and the gang at Telford, as l have finished most of my projects at last l thought l would like a challenge, so l bought two Ace kits, one an A1X, and the other was a K class 2-6-0 tender engine, so here we go again, l have built the chassis and the running plate, and thats where the first problem was the spashers did not marry up with the wheels, so l had to start again, two exhibitors had both these locos on their stands all finished and they looked good, but they both said you've got some work there lad ??.

George

• Like 1

Hello Peter, l shyed away from the N1, as l wanted a schools tender instead of the one with the kit, it just didn't look right, so l went for the A1x and a K class 2-6-0. not getting on with the A1x at all, its awful...........

George

PS Hows the bullied pacific coming on ?

Morning Mate, as we said at the show, you only get what you have paid for, you spend a bit more and get one top notch kit with just 10% scratch building or modifying, or as you have chosen to do here you get 2 kits that need quite a lot of scratch building. As we have said many times cheap kits are only an aid to scratch building, BUT when you have finnished you will have TWO locos to run and be proud of not just one, and with your ability I am sure you will make a great job of both, but remember it is not a race, you do not have a deadline to meet and pacients will reward with two fine looking locos. Good luck Andy.

• Like 3

Yes I must admit the A1 is a bit of a dog. But they turn out ok in the end. I found if you forget about the slot and tabs it is far easier..

There is a problem with the width of the cab back plate and the bunker rear. I would of thought you would be fine with it going by your scratchbuilds. I built a 4mm K years ago a lovely looking loc with the Maunsel cab.

Hello Peter, l must admit to being a bit unfair on the Ace kits, they are really only as good as the builder, l am quite pleased with the build, the parts dont fit that well and the tabs are out of line. but when you think of the price l paid, what did l expect ?

The white metal castings are really clean, even the white metal pipework, l have nearly finished her. as l have been off this week so had plenty of time to build her, what motor/gearbox did you use on your loco Peter ?

George

Hello Rob, Still have the cab to do, but shes getting there, then to the chassis, l still need to get a motor and gearbox, will have to look around to see whats out there,

l really enjoyed putting this little loco together, had to scratch the old bonce a few times, but it is starting to look like she has the makings of a really useful loco.

George

post-7716-0-32367100-1347557552_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-39086100-1347557584_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-18228100-1347557622_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-83611000-1347557653_thumb.jpg

• Like 9