GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

Hi George

It is coming on well, and has taken no time at all. As you found the slot and tabs are useless.

I used a small Mashima motor the little bother to the 18x33, 18x24 I do believe. The Gearbow was a Roxey fold up with 26 to 1 gears I think.

post-13601-0-89003300-1347572830_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hello Andy, l have put a Mashima 1833 with a fold-up gear box, with some Premier Components plunger pick-ups as well, could only fit them on the front and back axles, as there is not enough room for the centre ones, but she runs alright,

l must say l could not have put this loco together with the plans alone, as they are vague to say the least, l managed to put her together with the aid of photos from the net, but even then, they were all different in many ways, so adding bits and pieces from various photos l now have a A1/A1X type loco.

George

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Andy, Not happy with the chassis on my A1, its a bit flimsy, so l am going to replace it with a nice solid chassis kit from JPL models up here in Manchester, with plungers, Rods and bushes, so with a bit of luck she should be up and running shortly ?,

Had big problems with the acrylic paint, l mixed it all up with the correct thinners, went on lovely, but when it dried it was awful very flat and dusty, not impressed at all, so l have had to strip her down and start again, l have bought some two-part primer and satin black from Phoenix / Precision,

Talking to the guy at Phoenix who says the primer needs at least 48 hours to dry, only then does the etching start to work, he was horrified when l told that as soon as the primer was touch dry l would put the top coat of black on ? so thats why l didnt get the finish l wanted ? oh well live and learn

Well after the dreadful paint finish l had with the Phoenix two-part primer and all the cobwebs. l have had to strip it down and start again, gone back to my tried and trusted primer good old Halfords.....

George.

post-7716-0-53411200-1350145667_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

The primer finish is looking a lot better now George.

Is that the bog standard Halfords primer you've used? I find that the Acid #8 etch primer they do gives a very good finish, but it's nearly twice the price of the standard stuff.

A cracking little loco.

• Like 1

Hello Kev, l have tried the acid8 before, but l am in the trial and test mode at the moment so l am trying the bog standard primer, it says it is good on bare metal, so l will give it a try, fingers crossed...........

George

Hi George,

When I painted the body of 5815, even though I'd used it on the chassis, I wasn't feeling brave enought to use the can of black etch primer I had on the body. So I stuck to the tried and tested Halfords standard primer and it did a very good job. There's nowt wrong with the standard stuff!

Hi All,

I have used both primers on etched brass - the Acid #8 was used for the first time on little No. 1363 today (!) - and can report good things in both instances! The Acid #8 finish was really good - especially after the use of the new mini grit blaster...

All the best,

Castle

Hello Kev / Castle, l bought a can of the black primer on the internet, but l found it dried very flat, and an orange peel effect finish l did not like it at all ? the grey bog standard primer has dried to a nice satin finish, very pleased, l have just put a coat of Halfords bog standard satin black and it has dried to a very nice satin finish, already for the lining transfers, then l will find a satin finish varnish to finish off the job hopfully........

George.

The A1 got aher coat of black on today, and shes ready for the lining, and number 32650 l have to work on the roof to finish, then do some work on the chassis, with the brakk gear and rods.......

George.

post-7716-0-31204000-1350229930_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-40484300-1350229969_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hi George,

Why not use the gloss / not satin to put the transfers on and then put a satin varnish over the top? As long as it is well shaken and warm, you won't have any trouble with the Humbrol acrylic varnish cans and it will go well over the Halfords stuff too. That would save another layer of paint and / or another strip down.

Just a thought!

All the best,

Castle

No l'm not happy with finish at all, it says satin ont tin, but as you can see its too glossy ? can anyone suggest a decent spray can of satin black ?

Hi George,

I must admit I was just going to say did you use a flash as the loco looked so shiny, I use the satin black from Halfords like yourself and I have never had a problem so far. I think Castle has the best idea to solve the problem with regards the humbrol acrylic varnish, just make sure to put any numbers and lining on first.

ATB,

Martyn.

Hello George,

sorry to say I'd not use the Humbrol spray cans, try Ronseal varnish you can get three types, matt, satin and gloss. Don't get the acrylic type, It's also very thin so you may? be OK to bush it on as well.

OzzyO.

Taking a little break from the A1X, to start another scratchbuild, this time l fancy the Johnson 1f half cab, l have started the chassis base, and will cut the wheel/motor holes when l get them, l have lots of bits and pieces in my scrap box to put on the 1f as we go, the chassis will be from Premier Components, with their plungers as well.

post-7716-0-91773800-1350381547_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-14554500-1350381585_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-16380900-1350381630_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-35528500-1350381669_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-60224800-1350381705_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-90034500-1350381753_thumb.jpg

• Like 5