The Class Forty Appeal launch fund for 50007 “Hercules”

sixteen 12by 10s

The Class Forty Appeal owners of 50007 Sir Edward Elgar, are proposing to return the class 50 to its original name, “Herculesâ€. 50007 was renamed in 1984 and painted in the unique GWR green livery, it is now though the time is right to return the loco to blue, with the original name. The CFA has launched a “ring fenced “ appeal to raise the money to do so, including replacing the battery set, of £8000.

More details can be found on this website

http://www.trainweb.org/cfa/runningdays/running.html

And the paint it blue campaigns facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/groups/277498889006534/

If any of you would like to help practically, please drop me a PM, we can need all skills from tea boy to electronic technician.

Thanks

Gary Hinson Engineer and acting Publicity officer CFA

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that bog standard blue does not look good on a 50, but if it floats their boat then fine (its better than GW though)

I have never understood the continuing angst about the renaming of 'Hercules'. It was a fairly indifferent 12" battleship soon over shadowed by the 13.5" super-dreadnoughts and the QE fast battleships. Its not as though earlier ships with this name were particularity well known, unlike  Temeraire or Bellerphon. Can somebody enlighten me?

I have to say that bog standard blue does not look good on a 50, but if it floats their boat then fine (its better than GW though)

I have never understood the continuing angst about the renaming of 'Hercules'. It was a fairly indifferent 12" battleship soon over shadowed by the 13.5" super-dreadnoughts and the QE fast battleships. Its not as though earlier ships with this name were particularity well known, unlike Temeraire or Bellerphon. Can somebody enlighten me?

Well, they named that 50 "Glorious" and that was even more ignominious that Hercules but anyway..

I think it's the same mentality that leads people to do things like build a new A1, because it's recreating something. Personally I like the idea, it's run as Elgar in green for far too long and it's the only 50 I've not seen with its proper nameplate on, so I'm looking forward to seeing and and would like to put my money where my mouth is!

• 1 month later...

Hi all

What ever colour 50007 ends up, one of the aims in recent time has been to get her running again. The loco has not turned a wheel since returning from the GCR nearly two years ago. I the last few months, we have assembled a small working team that has replaced the damaged heat exchanger, and done a few other small jobs, that were preventing a start up. Yesterday, the loco was filed with water, which I am glad to say it held ok, and was started for the first time in two years. We used an assisted start, (jump start) from 37190, this was more to do with the determination, that it was! Going to start and a worry about stagnant battery's

The big button was pressed at 17.45, and “arise Sir Elgar†success. The celebrations were short lived, after 10 mins the loco shut down after blowing out a gasket in the oil line. This in itself is a quick fix, but the mess it made, oil everywhere!.

Next job fix the gasket, fill with oil and go for a test run.

Anyone interested in joining in the fun, or who just wants to get their overalls socked in oil, please drop me a PM

Video Cameron Johnson, not bad for a peak ned.

Gary Hinson

Whilst I think that 50007 should stay in GWR Green (all the preserved 50's are in either Blue or Large Logo apart from 17 and 27) if enough people pay to see her go blue then that has to be the case, however in fairness should there not be an option to donate towrds the overhaul but keep him green? I personally am not in favour of the blue paint idea and as such would not be too keen on donating to this cause.

Oh I don't know about blue being the wrong colour - two of them in bog standard blue with a London set blasting down the WCML was anything but dull! (apart from that I've a dislike of fake liveries - even those worn in BR days).... Lok forward to seeing it in blue.

• RMweb Gold

This Bob is with you Bob... I have never liked Baronet Teddy E (see I can't even type it).

Rock on a 'banger blue' Hercules ... I remember making a brass rubbing of the real 50 007 plates just after it was painted large logo, I may still have it somewhere. When I saw 007 in green I swear I nearly 'blew chunks' at it :crazy:

Hi All

thanks for you comments, the jury is still very much out on the livery, yes going back in time to the start, would be an option.

The most important job for me is to get the loco into a serviceable condition, and the recent work has gone a long way towards this goal, so at the next working party, we are going to attempt to get her into a condition were she will move under her own power.

Back to the livery and name, after the oil slik we had to clean up we are going to name it the “amoco cadizâ€

Gary

I always liked to see 007 in green when I was a spotter but 031 Hood was always my favorite. It does seem a pity to loose the livery in preservation but the main thing is the loco is running an earning its keep.

Large Logo looks superb on a 50 but the green was always unique like it or loathe it. Would it be more desireable to other railways to hire in the green 50?

Would it be more desireable to other railways to hire in the green 50?

That could be debatable, as some lines might want something non-green (as it was not universally popular with 50 fans when repainted) whereas if they want to hire a 50 in Large Logo there is a fair few available.

• RMweb Gold

I'm obviously way too old for this discussion. I remember seeing my my first double headed D400 class train at Preston, and was so impressed I went time and time again until I copped my last one (D422). A few years later I ended up working on them when I was doing my training at Kingmoor. Then I hit my fiftieth birthday, and my aunty gave me fifty quid. What to buy? It had to be a class 50, and I chose Sir Edward Elgar, because it was named on the fiftieth anniversary of his death.

I like the fifty in green, early blue, later blue, large logo, NSE, but as 50007 was the only one in green, I'd like it to stay that way, but as I've never put any time, money or effort into it, I have no part to play in the decision, and respect those who have.

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting comments here I'm afraid I'm sitting on the fence regarding the livery when it was Hercules it evaded me everytime as a kid but once it was given a coat of green I couldn't get rid of the thing so I'm all up for a change of livery but I have to agree on the non-liveries such as two tone green and dare I say loadhaul its just not right in my eyes.

I'd love to get my hands dirty on 007 and show my support and help make a difference but lack of transport is holding me back also the fact of working on the real railways dampens my availability with wierd shift times !!

• 2 weeks later...

I think it'd be a shame for no 7 to lose the green livery for yet another blue. With 2, 8, 15, 19, 21, 26, 29, 30, 31, 33, 42, 44, 49 and 50 all being in varying shades of the same seeing 7 around the country has been a highlight of 50 bashing preservation-wise!

Bit of conjecture here but if the name Hercules had been retained there would have been less of a chance of survival till the end and therefore less of a chance of preservation so for her to remain green seems very fitting to me.

The main thing tho is that we'll soon be able to enjoy another fifty hauling trains after an absence- suppose I can always close my eyes and pretend theres a greeny up front!

Or failing that give my n-gauge Elgar a blast on a rake of NSE mk2s...

Best of luck guys, more power to your elbows and keep the updates on progress coming!!!

Archived