RMweb

Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

Only because it doesn't have any couplings yet... It did however manage to push those vans in the fiddleyard without slipping.

It scared the life out of me - no idea what the CV inertia settings are but it took a while to get up to speed and then closed at a rate of knots up to the rear of one of mark's blue box thingies.  :O

• RMweb Gold

It scared the life out of me - no idea what the CV inertia settings are but it took a while to get up to speed and then closed at a rate of knots up to the rear of one of mark's blue box thingies.  :O

Yes, inertia needs reducing a bit... :O

• RMweb Gold

Caught up with BCB at Doncaster and must say I was very impressed. The scenic modelling is excellent and the back scene blends perfectly, possibly the best added depth I have seen.

I just hope the trains find some more volts as they only ever seemed to do a scale 10mph!!!!

Overall rating 9.8/10

If the trains ran through at a fast speed, all the effort that has been put into the locos and wagons would be missed.

Plus, it gives the operators a chance to marshal the next train (and scoff the cream teas/  pasties / pies / whatever).

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mind you the Y7 made considerably less noise than Geoff's Midland 0-6-0!

I think Andy Y should start a new Black Country Black thread for all the steam invasions.

Thanks to IK Wardle's memory I now have a choice of 9 spams that ran on football specials up in the Blackcountry in '63. Useful...

If the trains ran through at a fast speed, all the effort that has been put into the locos and wagons would be missed.

Plus, it gives the operators a chance to marshal the next train (and scoff the cream teas/  pasties / pies / whatever).

And time to throw things at John to get his attention....

• Like 4

This really is a lovely layout - I keep impressing on my son the importance of quality scenic modelling when we go to exhibitions and this fine piece of work sets the standard as far as I'm concerned.

Loving the steam visitors - keeping close to the intended period, it would be great to see 'KGV' on the Bulmers Pullmans...

Scale speed dictates a time in view of 50-60 seconds, however as the chances of most of the train types on BCB running at the 30mph line speed are slim then the speeds seen on BCB are probably fairly accurate, with the odd exception.

• Like 1

Scale speed dictates a time in view of 50-60 seconds, however as the chances of most of the train types on BCB running at the 30mph line speed are slim then the speeds seen on BCB are probably fairly accurate, with the odd exception.

Add in the Russian roulette factor (without varying train speed) when you've accepted a train to drive towards you (with a cleared signal) and your opposite number hasn't taken his train out of the full sector plate, which does happen a bit.

• RMweb Gold

Add in the Russian roulette factor (without varying train speed) when you've accepted a train to drive towards you (with a cleared signal) and your opposite number hasn't taken his train out of the full sector plate, which does happen a bit.

And then there's the ones with more inertia than my Y7...

• RMweb Gold

That's why it needs to be a roundy round!

Coat, hat.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

BCB has spent most of its life sleeping on mates sofas.

And that's the key to the dilemma. Because the layout's size greatly exceeds the space in anyone's house, it only gets assembled for exhibitions. You've just about got all the rolling stock in place and doors open - you're on! So setting up CVs for an entire fleet of locos, such that they all have comparable speed-curves, braking rates etc, just never gets done. You've all done marvellously with the layout itself, which was the original objective. Don't beat yourselves up about downstream issues like this. 

• RMweb Premium

Many comments about the back scene here. We saw it at Stafford. Sandy's comments on every other layout we saw "Backscene's not as good as BCB"

It really does make the model.

Expensive, but from the comments the layout has received, well worth doing for this project.

Expensive, but from the comments the layout has received, well worth doing for this project.

I must confess that it upsets me a bit when the backscene gets so much attention when all the real work and time was the rest of the layout and its content; it was only meant to be a seamless suitable backdrop to the effort that had gone into everything else.

• Like 3

I must confess that it upsets me a bit when the backscene gets so much attention when all the real work and time was the rest of the layout and its content; it was only meant to be a seamless suitable backdrop to the effort that had gone into everything else.

I wouldn't get "upset" Andy

It's not that it's deflecting anything from the layout itself

I think it's just that the backscene looks so good!

It certainly is seamless, and lends a whole feel of realism to the layout in front of it

From the photographs I've seen (as I've still not seen it in-the-flesh)

It really makes some fabulous modelling look even better

Marc

• Like 1

It is seamless. You couldn't have the backscene without the layout.

• RMweb Premium

It is seamless. You couldn't have the backscene without the layout.

Or the layout without the backscene. It doesn't look half as good when the backscene is removed.

We, however, look very silly doing the backscene chinese dragon dance.

Did anyone pick up the piece of paper with the number of times we were asked about the backscene on it?

Had a cracking weekend helping operate BCB, I'd gladly do it again.

Thanks

Mike

• Like 2