Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

Absolutely stonking, I've only just found the thread. As a nipper I remember the Yorkshires, at Bilston and Round Oak, I didn't know who the builder was then but was fascinated looking out for them working. The model really captures the look, plus shots on previous page - the train of hot billets, the road shot with a West Midlands bus in proper colours, blue and cream. Just a wonderful inspiration. I just need a pint of Bathams and I'm there!

Many thanks Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Arthur 

Thanks for the link to this build I had missed this all together. Fantastic model firstly it is a first class model & you've done a great job. I'm really pleased with the documentation of the build because it will now help me construct mine. Nothing to frightening in the build apart from those bonnet curves, they don't fill me with joy i can tell you. I think a few test pieces will need to be made before I use the final parts from the kit so I know that they are right. 

Really like those lorries too, I grew up in Sheffield & my dad worked for a engineering firm so I used to go out with him from time to time. I remember clearly the blue lorries which you've captured here. I also remember backing into one of the steelworks when they were pouring steel, it went from dark with orange lights to a firework display of fire & spark which I can tell you left a young Simon with soiled underwear.

Great trip down memory lane seeing the models & reminding me of my childhood :D

Cheers

Simon

To make ammends for my lack of area knowledge, I bought the June 2012 issue of " Steam Days" mag yesterday. There is an excellent 14 page article entitled "Passing the time at Bradley Lane", an interesting, well written and illustrated article on the ex GWR line at Bradley Lane between Wednesbury & Bilston, written (in english !!) by a local lad. Definitely Black Country.

Brit15

Lived in Bradley Lane for many years, used to pop down to the line (latter years) to see the Norton Barrow tripper...often an 08 but sometimes a 25 or 31.

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind comments Simon, hopefully some of it will be of use. Yes, it's a straightforward build, those bonnet flutes being the only tricky bits and I practiced with bits of scrap etch first. Getting the cab rain strips in the right place though not difficult is critical to capturing the look.

Yes, when I left school in the early 70's I worked as a labourer in a couple of steelworks and I nearly soiled my pants on more than one occasion :)

• 1 month later...

Received this email via W'ton Civic Society yesterday ... an interesting book offer if you are local and interested in "Things Wolverhampton"

Just to let you know that the  book on Accidents in Nineteenth Century Wolverhampton is available through Amazon.
It is entitled 'Accidents,' and is  the most comprehensive view of the social history of nineteenth century Wolverhampton yet written.
It brings together a wealth of information and at 500+ pages it is the sort of reference book anyone interested in Wolverhampton history would want to have.
I give below the Amazon link where the book is priced at £17.50
but I am offering the book for £12.50, collection only from Perton, until the end of January.

Best Wishes,
Jane
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Accidents-Nineteenth-Century-Wolverhampton/dp/0957350511/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1453530592&sr=1-10&keywords=accidents

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Any BCB dates for 2016?

David

Bit of a quiet year as there is some work to be done on the layout over the next 11 months.

Just the one outing with BCB to Wigan in October, although as a group you'll find us out with various other layouts throughout the year.

Currently reviewing a number of invites for 2017, all of which appear to be in the South.

• Like 2

Progress!

Having realised through discussion that we have around 11 months to build the new fiddleyards I thought I better pull my finger out and start building boards.

As there's quite a few boards to be built and space minimisation is critical I've elected to build a prototype for discussion/ comment. I've only got scraps of fairly poor quality wood to play with in the garage but it will serve to prove the build - or otherwise...

Here's a sketch of what I'm planning;

post-8734-0-84741400-1456059897_thumb.jpg

(almost as rough as the wood I'm using)

• Like 1

Did you mean wider rather than deeper?

The boards will stack on top of each other. If the servo and mountings go on top of the boards we will have to increase the depth of the board sides to protect them - bearing in mind you still have to maintain the baseboard frame underneath.

As the man in charge of servo's, Geoff is more than happy they go underneath. (think he kips under the layout at shows...)

Have I missed something?

• Like 1