Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

But, but, but they are department coaches, not regular passenger stock.

We like doors, side doors, end doors, top flaps, bottom doors, hopper doors, drop sides even cupboard doors. But slam doors are not permitted.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Just as well, as it's currently stranded the wrong side of the relaying work at Fryers Lane!

attachicon.gif33268178745_7de2d3c769_k.jpg

Hopefully the PWay materials are not stuck behind it.

I had that happen once, a long time ago. Two wagons of ballast had been shunted into a Refuge Siding ready for removal of some points. Unfortunately the Civils took out the points before they realised that their ballast was still in the now-disconnected siding. Fortunately we had borrowed a rather nice big crane to reposition a signal and it just happened to be parked on the Up Main line next to the wagons. A quick word with the crew and a few minutes later the wagons were on the Down Main. It just so happened that the gap in the track was between them and home.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully the PWay materials are not stuck behind it.

Did have a slight problem finding the bag of ballast I needed for the job, but I managed to retrieve it from the shed without any need for a crane.

given that Fryers is P4 it may need more than the restored turnout to get it back onto BCB metals

One of very few items of stock I have which I can get away with running on either BCB or Fryers.  A quick swap of wheelsets and it'd be good to go, it does spend most of its time on its P4 wheels these days though.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just like to say a big thankyou to Andy, Geoff, John & Mark for inviting myself & son Craig to operate on BCB today.

Great to see the layout again, still surprising how many ask about the backscene...

Was also nice to meet Worsdell Forever's uncle, plus several members of the forum.

Well worth the 400 mile round trip and partaking in some banter.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 6

As a somewhat interesting, but relevant, diversion: this video (from a series of videos on meat cutting made by a master butcher) includes an interesting - and old - documentary about "Black Country" Food (starts about 4 min in).

Ignore the initial guff and enjoy a nostalgic look at what was enjoyed at the time in "t'black country"

iD

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have you put the knitting up on BCB?

Now that would be interesting. Toyed with the idea for Fryers Lane, but can't see it getting the thumbs up from the group on BCB. It would diminish the while "railway running on Victorian infrastructure" thing.

• RMweb Gold

The West Midlands secondary routes were cut from the WCML electrification programme c1962. There included Rugeley to Walsall and Coventry to Nuneaton. Another route in the original scheme was Rugby - Leamington - Coventry/Berkswell. Up to its removal in1972 there was a semaphore signal at Gibbet Hill fitted with protective netting.