RMweb

Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

Good idea, Shortliner, using coldframes for the skylight. It will be a simplified version of the prototype's skylight, but as a corner of the building has been lopped off to fit it into the scenery, another bit of artistic licence will not stand out like a sore thumb.

Now to other matters, I have started constructing an interior for the building and it's progressing well, to the point where I have just have to add the furniture... What it will be will remain "streng geheim" until it's 100% complete.

I've just realised that I have 25 days in which to finish this model and the Oldbury Road building (availability of windows permitting) before I'm in London and could hand over the buildings to a BCB member!

So, gotta get my skates on...

iD

• Like 1

First impressions count for a lot. Mine was "Wow!" and as many inmates know only too well I am not easily pleased. The last time I can remember a reaction like that was when I saw Portchullin as work in progress however many years ago.

The task of putting impressions into a sensible order is not easy but here goes.  The layout has a spacious, uncluttered air [in contrast to far too many, including some on show at Doncaster] with the structures realistically placed.  It is a pity in some ways that Sandside's cart shed and Andy Y's cottages are not close enough to the viewer but they are in quite the right places on the layout.  That curse of the layout planner, the straight edge, was put aside in favour of the barely perceptible curve on the main line. A whole slice of realism was injected by the use of a photograph for the backscene and the effective yet discreet lighting showed the whole tableau to good effect.  Other good points were the almost total resistance to cliches [not sure about TWO buses on the bridge] and the sensible adjustment of the sound chips on those locos thus equipped: certain layouts best not named seem hell-bent on broadcasting to the nation and the gentle burble of a passing Rat was a joy.

Above all the layout has benefitted from effective project management.  The importance of this cannot be overstated but it is not used as often as it might be - think Copenhagen Fields and - um, what was the other one?

I'm sure the plaudits will come in for the rest of the week and why not?  You guys deserve them.  This layout is going to win Best in Show so often.

Chris

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Just got in after the long journey home. An absolutely superb weekend, many thanks to the BCB team for making me feel so welcome and involved.

Great fun, photos tomorrow.

Glad you got home after the long trek home Stu

Just catching up with the goings on over the weekend on RMweb land... looks like we did ok!!

I'll post some of my photos shortly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As a sort-of long-distance Treneglos-freak, I was pleased when Spams et al were appointed to this auspicious task, and following it over the months has been a joy. Chris rightly notes the inclusive nature of what has been achieved, by multiple talented RMwebbers in various locales, some not close to the Midlands. The pics seen so far, and the unstinting praise from those who were there to see, make it quite clear the whole idea has been a success. That some lily-gilding is yet to come, and that operations etc will become slicker, merely means the quality will ratchet up a bit more - the basics are simply spot-on.

When Warners and Andy Y devised this project, they could hardly have hoped for more. BCB has therefore helped RMweb to secure its future with the backers. Heads we've won, tails we can't lose. Well done all!

• Like 9

I think that's a cracking photo - I love the 'rooftop' railway, the engine & stock look tremendous, as does the track & ballast & again it shows how atmospheric your backscene looks!

Excellent stuff all round!

keith

edit for spelling...

Edited by keefr2
  • Like 2

Seconded! After your volcanic sulphorous output on the way home. ;)

Being that we hadn't left the car park, I had visions off being chucked out and going home in the van

The van which dropped the last part of the layout off in stoke at 8:50 this morning

That photograph very neatly sums up the BCB theme, perhaps possibly only trumpable by a shot looking the other way with the canal locks and a class 24 in the frame.

Congrats to Andy Y for a stonking backscene, which really does meld the layout into one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The backscene and lighting made this layout stand out above just about everything else that was at the Doncaster show last weekend.

The train indicator boards hung from the layout displaying loco numbers and direction is very simple and very useful.

The only think I would have liked to have seen was some more train movements. The yard and branch weren't in use when I saw it on Sunday morning. Hopefully next time I see it there will be more trains shuffling backwards and forwards.

Happy modelling

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B

Steven, there were some issues with points and point motors in the exchange sidings which meant we weren't able to run trains in and out of the sidings. This rather curtailed operations on the branch also and these faults, along with other works, are all planned to be attended to prior to Ally Pally in 6 weeks time.

• Like 1

The only think I would have liked to have seen was some more train movements. The yard and branch weren't in use when I saw it on Sunday morning. Hopefully next time I see it there will be more trains shuffling backwards and forwards.

Happy modelling

Steven B

On saturday afternoon

One of the point motors that operate the Tandem turnout at the bottom of the branch, the sliding part which adjusts the throw fell out of its slides and as such stopped the blades from operating thus restricting operation, this being put right early sunday morning and held in place with blue tack !!!

Then on Sunday one of the point motors at the other end of the yard failed such that we could not acces the sidings at all, so movement of stock was restricted to going up and down the branch line

• Like 1

This cabin looks even better on the layout ("in the flesh", so to speak) than in these photographs.

By the Ally-Pally show, we need to finish this board and get it up to Eric's standard.  And first off, I think we'd better protect the cabin with some bufferstops!

Good to meet you, Eric, at the Doncaster show.  Sorry we couldn't chat longer.

Thanks once again for getting involved and building this superb little piece of history in 4mm scale.

All the very best,

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps a buffer stop like the one at Banbury St shunt neck. The track is long since gone but the block still remains, (co-ordinates 52o 28' 53" N ; 1o 52' 42" W) probably because it was encased in about 25m3 of concrete, It is to the right of the picture here  http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrbhm_sa2320b.htm.

My Grandfather told me it was provided when the driver of a light engine misread the 3 arm tall siding signal, thinking he was going main line when the road was set for the neck. He nearly ended up in the bar of the Viaduct pub which used to stand just down below on Lawlet St.

Going slightly O/T, that's a rather nice chimney at Wright's Ropes. Unusual and not too high, about 2 signals higher than the embankment. Could find a place in my own project for that.

• Like 1

I have been following with great interest and Doncaster was a journey too far. The layout says a lot about the talent here on RMWeb, so hopefully will be able to make Ally Pally if not I will have to wait until Peterborough. When I get to see it I suspect I will have to wait my turn to get to the front.