Appledore (North Devon) - OO scale layout

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Chris

The carriage siding alongside he run round loop is from Bude and the box is similar the one there. The main station building, engine shed and water tower are based on Seaton. The goodshed is from Halwill Junction. The road over bridge came from Bodmin General though

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Below is a sample shot of the sort of view that I hope to add to thd backscene. The foreground rocks will go though

Ian

Below is a sample shot of the sort of view that I hope to add to thd backscene. The foreground rocks will go though

Ian

post-1557-0-20635900-1341132968_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Smashing photo! Although I live in North Devon, I don't often get over to Appledore.

Did you sample to local Hockins ice cream?

Thanks

Its the first time I have walked around Appledores narrow streets as in the past we had only had brief trips just to find the old station since my parents took me to see the Golden Hind replica being built many years ago in the shipyard.

I was amazed as to how good the bus service is to Appledore in the Summer.

We spent some time waiting to get the right light due to the changeable weather. We saw the ice cream but the local ale from Country Life Brewery in the Seagate Hotel got the better of us!!

Here is a photo of whats left of the real Appledore station.

post-1557-0-72059000-1341172819_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi roundhouse,

Like Mudmagnet , I also live just down the road from Appledore.

I think you've got the backscene photos just right, it really is a lovely spot & is justifiably popular with locals & tourists.

Situated at the throat of the Taw/Torridge estuary, the variety of sea & river vessels is very varied.

This is also due to the proximity of the Appledore shipyards.

Mind you, if you base the scene on fact, the clouds should be dark grey, shining streets & locals wrapped in kagouls!

I'm with Mudmagnet on the subject of Hockins ice cream though, once tasted, never bettered.

Cheers,

Westcountryman

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh well, can try the ice cream next time.

We managed to miss the rain whilst at Appledore.

We stopped off at Bideford and there was a coaster moored up. Just before we left, another one (unkaiden) came in on the high tide and moored up alongside the quay.Not usre what they get loaded with.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

A couple more shots of Appledore.

These are taken looking roughly in the direction of the old tram line which was slightly above the Quay a couple of rows back. The station I have modelled would be in roughly the same location.

However, I dont intend to have any buildings on the backscene except maybe one or two where I have the road over bridge hiding the exit to the backscene.

The line to quay would curve away from the line as it headed towards Westward Ho! and then turn back on its self to run between the pubs and the houses.

The line to the dockyards would curve off to the left of the main running line then go round the town in land before ending up in the dockyard. All sounds a bit convoluted but some how I want to have a semi plausible route to match the way I have built the layout!!

Ian

post-1557-0-54726900-1341230520_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-48436100-1341230730_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Ian,

nice to see your photos, never knew about your Appledore layout, only just seeing this thread. I was somewhat bemused about you saying you where going to Appledore to take photos for a backscene but now all is clear. Makes me a bit nostalgic for the coast living as far away from the sea as you can get nowadays. Bit of variety here at Banbury today with a DRS 37 propelling a green inspection saloon, a 70 in the up loop with a freightliner and a red 60 heading through on the down with a train of tanks .

• RMweb Gold

David

You would probably recognise the layout if you saw it in the flesh as I am sure you must have seen it many many years ago when I was till at my parents.

Yes it's nice to visit North Devon as still brings back the memories of the many vists there when Ian still lived there and we used to go out line siding the Barnstaple line when there was still freight and loco hauled passenger trains.

It's amazing to think that I travlled on the last train to Torrington thirty years ago!

After this weekend should be back working on Santa Barbara and then Banbury so can feel another visit coming on to Banbury.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Last night saw the last of the retro fitting of alignment dowels. These ones in the midddle of the fiddleyard also align the street running line which is not easy to alter should the rials not line up. Luckily they were only half a millimetre out so may be Ok for this weekends show at the Bluebell.

New end plates still need to be made for these last two boards now the holes have been changed in the ends of the boards.

Should start printing out the new back scene tonight so still a good chance of getting that in place for the weekend.

Now to decide which Bullied light pacifics to take to the Bluebell as I doubt we will get round to running all 35 or so!!

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

No, take all the Bulleids and forget the rest of the stock!

Nice idea but one spam can will just fit in the fiddle yard at the end of the quay but without any wagons!

I might take half of them Saturday then swap for the other half Sunday

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Only one day to go before the layout goes to the Bluebell.

The new end plates for boxing up the fiddle yard boards are finished nd the back scenes got their second and final coat of sky blue this morning so hopefully the photos taken last week of the estuary at the real Appledore cn be cut out and glued on tonight.

The new Hornby Push pull set arrived yesterday so that had the wheels painted brown and both coaches weathered this morning. Kadees are to be fitted tonight.

There are the three Beattie well tanks and the class 22 s still to weather but they have had Zkadees fitted and will get their first run on the layout over the weekend.

• RMweb Gold

Chris

I am hoping to run every light pacific at least one and take shots of them as this may be the last itme many of them get used for a while till I build a new Southern Region layout.

I Keep toying with Exmouth Junction but we shall see as I have some other projects I wnat to do first.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A few more shots taken yesterday at the Bluebell.

I am fairly pleased the way the backscene has come out but it still needs a few tweeks here and there..

We ran quite a few bullied light pacifics yesterday but I doubt we will get to run all 35 over the two days.

Will have a good go though

!post-1557-0-09900900-1341766240_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-50529500-1341725971_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-11999100-1341726003_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-60545800-1341726038_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-10179400-1341726061_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-40501500-1341731469_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Eddie

We had another great day at Horsted Keynes despite the downpour in the early hours lfooding the station booking hall and the heavy rain duuring the day. However, we and the layout kept dry in the carriage workshops.

Some more photos taken of the layout today.

A few small niggling things need to be done to the layout before it heads up to Hazel Grove in October (update - not in 2012 but might be 2013) for its first show with Phatbob. We will be taking it up there but He will be taking it down and then to its new home for a while.

Ian

post-1557-0-65994600-1341769767_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-28633800-1341769849_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-66099800-1341769880_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-12896800-1341769913_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-33299300-1341769948_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-22945100-1341769987_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Chris

Thanks. They are taken with a compact camera then the exposure on the darker parts such as the chassis are brightened using photo editing software.

I am glad I went to North Devon the week before to get the backscene photos. This weekend would have been difficult with all the rain enroute as the old South Western mainline is now suspended betyween Exeter and Yeovil Junction.

• RMweb Premium

Looking fabulous in that last set of photos, and the backscene is very effective. That view across the estuary to Braunton Burrows is very familiar to me, after many trips (and seasickness) on the ferry to Lundy Island.

Do you have the Bulleid pacific "Lundy" in your collection?

Many thanks,

Dave.