Appledore (North Devon) - OO scale layout

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

The backscene has turned out very effective. The Ice cream isn't bad but my vote is for Styles available outside Minehead station. (or at least it was until moving to the IOW)

Don

• RMweb Gold

Thanks

Looking fabulous in that last set of photos, and the backscene is very effective. That view across the estuary to Braunton Burrows is very familiar to me, after many trips (and seasickness) on the ferry to Lundy Island.

Do you have the Bulleid pacific "Lundy" in your collection?

Many thanks,

Dave.

Thanks for the comments. I am pleased with the backscene. Still a couple of things to do to it though.

34029 LUNDY is on the list of ones to do (as rebuilt). The ultimate goal is to do all of them but some how I doubt I will get there - its a traget to try and acheive though!!

Ian

Having just returned from Westward Ho! it would be interesting watching the trains climb up around the coast to Cornborogh Head before cutting in land to Abbotsham, it's quite a climb. The BWH engines must have struggled up there I would have thought to.

Anyway nice layout on an original theme.

E

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a short update in case anyone was expecting to see the layout in the North West in the near future. I had mentioned that the layout was going to go to a show up Norht in October 2012. This is now not the case, so it will be stayting with me for a few months longer before heading up North.

I will do an update here once I know which shows are definitely confirmed.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The layout now has a confirmed booking in the hands of Phatbob for the Liverpool show on the last weekend of April this year.

I have a few items of maintenance to fo before it heads to the North West.

Unfortunately I won't be there as I sm helping on another layout down in the South.

I do hope to be able to attend some of the other shows it will be at.

Phatbob will be running it with his Southern and Western region stock using DC control at least to start with but I am working on him to go DCC and sound!

Ian

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Yesterday Appledore was set up down South for the last itme for now, to make sure that Phatbobs power pack would work on the layout.

Its now up in the North West where he will be testing his stock etc. ready its first show in that part of the country in some time.

I did take the chance to snap a few photos with a few odd items of stock for a bit of fun.

The complete layout in its undressed state!

post-1557-0-83246300-1361191924_thumb.jpg

The signal box which was scratch built many years before the Bachmann one was released.

post-1557-0-68034700-1361192188_thumb.jpg

Crewkerne on the layout for the first time. Hopefully it will get a chance again at a show where we can help Phatbob out up in cooler climes.

post-1557-0-55118600-1361191970_thumb.jpg

A Wianwright C class that has got a little bit lost!

post-1557-0-27410900-1361192045_thumb.jpg

A bit of a timewarp here

post-1557-0-75886100-1361192082_thumb.jpg

And now for osmething way out!!

post-1557-0-86401600-1361192120_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Appledore has been on tour in the North East and North West.

This weekend it is at Stockport.

Phatbob has been carrying out some repairs since the York show at Easter. A failed SEEP solenoid was one item on the list.

Unfortunately I can't be there to help this weekend as I am heading to a wet and windy Sussex Coast today!

I should be helping on the Layout in July at Crewe.

Ian

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just over a week to go and we will be making our way to Crewe to help Phatbob operate the layout at Crewe Heritage centre.he generally runs the layout all diesel but I might not be able to resist taking a Bullied light Pacific with me!!

Ian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave

We had a great weekend operating the layout.

Wild Boar Fell of this forum was an operator for the Sunday and had a good chat with Big Jim on Saturday.

Hopefully will be giving Phatbob a hand with the layout again at a show up North in the not too distant future so will bring a different Bullied light pacific plus a few other items to make things a bit different.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

A final few photos from the weekend.

Another shot of 'Lynmouth' this time in the main platform, taken from the cattle dock

post-1557-0-19283100-1405337343_thumb.jpg

Bob likes his class 22's. here is one trying to hide in the shed. He still has to weather most of them.

post-1557-0-69441500-1405337698_thumb.jpg

And finally a couple taken of the good yard. Bobs dirty 08 doing the yard duties. I did take my 08 but as it has sound, running it on DC isnt the most practical as the sound shuts off when you stop then has to go through the start up sequence each time you start it again!!

post-1557-0-46695800-1405337739_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-40898700-1405337951_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Andy.

I miss the layout but it had done many shows down here in the South over the years and  was just sitting in the garage, so at least Phatbob is getting to take it to quite a few shows up North these days although he has gone back to running good old fashined DC. Mind you, I am working on him to go DCC and sound!!

One day it might be back down here and I might just then widen the boards etc.

Ian

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Appledore will be at the Poynton show under the supervision of Phatbob with his now recently expanded fleet of baby warships hard at work.

Would liked to have been there aswell  but after three weekends of shows I suppose that my other half deserves a visit to her parents!!

• Like 2