Appledore (North Devon) - OO scale layout

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Andy

Thanks

Phatbob has the layout set up at NEC. Not been over to it yet but he has a bag of my locos to run. I think that the decoder in the Beattie Well tank cant run on DC so no doubt he will be over to tell me it wont work. I do have a blanking plug with me so that will be an easy fix.

I will take more photos this weekend when I can get away from Santa Barbara

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A couple of faults on the layout which luckily as I was passing I managed to fix as I knew what the problem was from the past.

Otherwise as far as I am aware it ran well.

Bob has a few potential invites including one in he Sputh West so now we just need to agree if I am taking it or is he!!

I run DCC and he DC.

I gave my newly acquired Adams a Radial a run and a few other locos waiting to have a run tomorrow.

• Like 2

Well I have been following this thread for three years and finally caught up with Appledore at the weekend, it was one of the reasons I made my first visit to Warley.

It was well worth the wait, and the time spent travelling, and for me it was one of the highlights of the show.

I had an enjoyable chat with Bob while watching Appledore in 1964, The effort put in running appropriate stock to a realistic timetable made it very believable,

thanks Gents

cheers

• RMweb Gold

Well I have been following this thread for three years and finally caught up with Appledore at the weekend, it was one of the reasons I made my first visit to Warley.

It was well worth the wait, and the time spent travelling, and for me it was one of the highlights of the show.

I had an enjoyable chat with Bob while watching Appledore in 1964, The effort put in running appropriate stock to a realistic timetable made it very believable,

thanks Gents

cheers

Glad you enjoyed it. Bob has put a bit more effort into things such as head code discs on his stock than I have but I did start adding the spare discs form the Kernow boxes it the locos that I brought with me.

The layout may well be at a show much closer to you but will wait to say where as its just an interest at the moment (no formal invite).

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There were three expressions of interest for further appearances of Appledore over the Warley show.  Should any mature into definite invitations, rest assured that they will be well and truly plugged on this forum.
I'd like to thanks those RMwebbers who introduced themselves over the weekend.  Always a pleasure.  Thanks for the kind words and compliments too.  It's a real lift to the spirits to have one's efforts appreciated by fellow modellers.
Thanks also to everybody at the Warley club for their efforts over the weekend.  It's sometimes hard to remember that such a vast a professional undertaking is actually a club show and not a commercial one.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A last minute stand in this morning after our friends mother took ill so he is unable to bring his layout to Barrow In Furness, so Phatbob is currently loading Appledore into his car to take it to the show. We are on our way by train as planned so no stock of mine wil be running but Bob does have plenty of stock. Looking forward to operating it again

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

It looks like Appledore may yet get its fifteen minutes of fame. 
I spent a few fun hours yesterday with some friends at the Warrington Model Railway Club's premises (thanks chaps, much appreciated) enjoying a mass layout photoshoot for a well known model railway magazine.
:D

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bob has brought the scenic sections of the layout back to me for a bit of maintenance after it's recent outings this year. The odd tie bar and solenoids to repair or replace. Not bad for a layout that is now 30 years or more old. Also a few repairs to the canopy in progress.

Bob will be taking it home before the new year and I believe that it's next show will be Bristol in May 2020.

There is a magazine article due out in time for that show.

20191223_153654.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 21/02/2019 at 12:42, Phatbob said:

It looks like Appledore may yet get its fifteen minutes of fame. 
I spent a few fun hours yesterday with some friends at the Warrington Model Railway Club's premises (thanks chaps, much appreciated) enjoying a mass layout photoshoot for a well known model railway magazine.
:D

Just over the year to print. However, it has made my day.

P

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Like they say on YouTube “ railway modeller brought me here “. It’s a really nice layout, just looks so right and I’m not even a steam man 

We do run it with diesels half the time.  :-)

• Like 1