Appledore (North Devon) - OO scale layout

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

A final bit of modelling for this year.

The bracket starter signal which lasted many years tok it's final knock when the boards were unbowed at the last show it attended. To many pieces to repair so Phatbob brought two of the boards back for me to work on a replacement signal over Xmas . I had a rail built post built from code 70 bullhead rail many years ago. When Plymouth St Jude's was sold it became a GW region layout so I had the signals back.

The new starter signal is now slightly smaller so it's less likely to get knocked by the canopy when the boards are boxed up.

This mornings task was to reprogramme the Bouncer circuit board before Phatbob arrived to collect the boards.

Fingers crossed that it works OK at its next show, Macclesfield. I should be there to give a hand with the layout and do any adjustment to the signal.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Phatbob is taking Appledore to the Macclesfield show this coming weekend.

I am also there to help him so might take a West Country or two to run on it dpeneding what we can fit in the travel bags as  going by train.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a few photos taken yesterday at the Macclesfield show.

I brought 34099 LYNMOUTH with me. It had just one run yesterday but today we will start off using steam rather than diesels so my Beattie well tank will also get a run now that I have found a broken wire between the decoder socket and motor.

post-1557-0-93079100-1426404685_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-28171900-1426404695_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-40273900-1426404704_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

When's Bob gonna weather that stock Ian? :scratchhead:

Yes he does need to spend a few days weathering it although he has done the wagons and coaches, the 22 s definitely need dirtying..

This morning it's steam and a few of Bobs steam locos are weathered.

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see someone else doing North Devon....& doing it extremely well too!

I am doing Ilfracombe'ish in 7mm.

Phill :)

I would like yo do Ilfracombe but don't have the space in 4mm let alone 7mm. Look forward to seeing photos of yours.

Ian

I would like yo do Ilfracombe but don't have the space in 4mm let alone 7mm. Look forward to seeing photos of yours.

Ian

I already have a layout thread Ian, work is ongoing on my terminus which is called Withercombe. Hopefully some updated pics will be appearing soon as I have Been quiet busy working on this area of the line in the last few weeks :)

Your lovely layout is very inspiring & having just discovered it I will be watching with great interest.....it's right up my street :)

Phill :)

• RMweb Gold

This afternoon we reverted to running diesels. Here is a shot of my weathered class 22.

I have taken some photos on the DSLR which I hope to uploaded at some point.

Another good day operating the layout.

It's next show is Warley in November although I will be behind Santa Barbara!!

post-1557-0-85509400-1426447597_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

RMwebbers,
Please do come along to the Warley show and see Appledore, it might be your last chance, as I've no more exhibition invitations after Warley.  We're hoping to bring you alternating sequences with Diesel Hydraulic (circa 1964) and steam traction (Circa 1961).

Please do make yourselves known too.  Always nice to put a face to a name (or RMweb alias :imsohappy: ).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Only just found this thread & worked through it.

I find it fascinating that the layout can have been changed so many times - in the time that many of us would take to only half-complete a single layout!

I'm not sure why anyone would want to move away from spam-cans, but that aside I loved it, and will certainly look out for it and for Santa Barbara at Warley

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tony

Once Phatbob has finished exhibiting the layout in the North I have ideas of further modifications, this time quite drastic. Cant bring myself to scrapping it.

I will be bringing my Kernow 02, Hornby 700 plus a number of spam cans  with me to Warley this weekend although it wont be all of them as there wont be room in the car.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tony

Once Phatbob has finished exhibiting the layout in the North I have ideas of further modifications, this time quite drastic. Cant bring myself to scrapping it.

I will be bringing my Kernow 02, Hornby 700 plus a number of spam cans  with me to Warley this weekend although it wont be all of them as there wont be room in the car.

Some of Roundhouse's spam cans and other kettles will be making guest appearances at Warley, but not all of them.  He won't have room in his car and I won't room behind the fiddleyard!  He's got about forty of 'em.  I think he'll only stop once he's got all 110.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Tony

I'll let Tender (Camel Quay) know then I'll guarantee getting to see Appledore at Warley.  :yes:

An interesting thread, Ian.  Something to think about as time passes by...and doesn't it just?

• RMweb Gold

Polly

Its quite scary that the layout is over thirty years old now. Doesnt feel that long ago since I first built it to fit in my bedroom at my parents, not that it would now as its been straightened and lengthened a number of times.

My thoughts are now to widen it and probably remove the street running bit so that I can use my new fiddleyard designed to fit a couple of other layouts (and save space when it eventually returns home)  but we shall see.

One more point - Bob isnt running it in DCC mode as his stock is standard DC. All my locos are DCC fitted. I doubt that I will be bringing any sound fitted locos this time.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Dave

No invites at the moment.

Its last show in the South was at the Bluebell about 4 years ago. As there were no more invites in the pipeline.

Bob wanted it to take it to various shows in the North hence it being up there at the moment.

If he doesn't get any more in the near future it may well end up being back in the South in my garage. if so it is unlikely to be doing any next year as I am pretty much to the limit with shows for next year subject to a few tentative ones being confirmed.

Hi Ian

I've only just stumbled across your thread & enjoyed it very much! I'm coming to Warley on Sunday, so will say hello. The town of Appledore is one of our favourite places in north Devon, so it adds to the appeal, and anything with Bulleid pacifics has got to be good! 

All the best

exmoordave

• Like 2

I know I've looked at this wonderful thread before but just scanning this page alone and seeing the images here reminds me that I need to work my way through again when I've got a spare half hour.

Really superb modelling.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy for your comments.

Last night I pulled out about four Spam Cans,a Beattie well tank, a T9, 02, 700 pluss a class 22 without headode boxes and managed to get my S15 into its box. All loaded into the car.

So Phatbob will have plenty of spare locos - really need to enlarge the loco shed!!

• Like 1

I've finished the re read through and still cant believe how it been changed and then back again. Both formats look good but I prefer it in its current guise.

I too had my Bulleids out last night for a test run on West Shed prior to the Steam Gala at our Club on 12th / 13th December.

• Like 1