Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

In a YouTube video I saw recently discussing the dangerous, for pedestrians, design of F150 and similar sized trucks (pedestrians tend to get thrown underneath rather than over the bonnet) tests were observed using rubber turtles and tortoises in the road.  Some drivers, of predominantly large trucks, deliberately steered to run them over......

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Four white tailed deer, including a fawn that is beginning to loose its spots.  There were two additional does just over to the right.  Caught on one of our cameras in the garden this afternoon.

IMG_4420.jpeg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 5944 said:

2023-10-05_01-26-27.jpg.ee8405742b7004ceec1c28ea7fd4e2cb.jpg

2023-10-05_01-26-15.jpg.aadbe073dabf55c89584d35695696e1c.jpg

Couple of photos taken this afternoon of the black squirrel that has been feasting on the seeds from the sunflowers in our garden.

I'm not sure if black squirrels should be reported but they do carry a virus which is deadly to our native red squirrel.

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I'm not sure if black squirrels should be reported but they do carry a virus which is deadly to our native red squirrel.

Bit late now, they've been in Letchworth for over a hundred years. Greys are relatively rare around here.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 5944 said:

Bit late now, they've been in Letchworth for over a hundred years. Greys are relatively rare around here.

I've never heard of black squirrels before ! Learn something new everyday.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

The Black Squirrel is the same species as the grey, but with a mutation of the gene that controls coat pigmentation – giving rise to their black colouring. The black squirrel was first recorded in the UK in 1912, but is restricted to the counties of Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and Cambridge.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

I've just had a couple of nights on Filey Brigg which is quite a good spot for wildlife, usual assortment of gulls, a few red admirals, a couple of large white butterflies and even a possible peregrine sighting which typically had moved on by the time I got my glass out, all seen from my van on the campsite there. I also took the time to watch a magpie sat on the fence but studying something higher up in a tree, it made me realise just how 'strong' the black, white and blue colours are on these common birds, quite stunning really.

Highlight of the trip was an early morning walk up onto the Brigg itself to watch a non event sunrise but which at least yielded a flypast by 4 cormorants which then wheeled around and down in a large arc before landing in the bay and a good 15 mins watching a small ground feeding bird (there were several of them around) which I didn't really recognise so memorised the main features of sparrow like size and plumage but with black and white feathers at the wing edges, fairly obvious light coloured eyebrows and yellow bill noticable even in the poor pre-dawn light, nervous movements but calmer the longer I remained still and watched .... looked it up whilst having breakfast to find out that they were Snow Buntings which I'm not sure that I've ever seen before. There was also a small warbler flitting about in the undergrowth but I'm still not very good at identifying these.

I think that I'll have to try and get back there before the campsite shuts for the winter and maybe try and photograph the Snow Buntings if they are still there.

• Like 6

Saturday 14 October is World Migratory Bird Day and millions of birds are on the move all across the globe.

I was fortunate to see some of  north Europes migratory species in their winter home in Senegal at the end of February.

These House Martins were on the roof of the lodge room, huddled together. Unlike other birds which all get up at the crack of dawn they - and there were lots of them - stayed a bed for hours longer. Perhaps this was because insects also took some time to become active and become a meal. 

204359941.jpg.c05845ef1e58b344f7adff1b3a2cbf08.jpg

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
On 05/10/2023 at 09:38, 5944 said:

2023-10-05_01-26-15.jpg.aadbe073dabf55c89584d35695696e1c.jpg

Couple of photos taken this afternoon of the black squirrel that has been feasting on the seeds from the sunflowers in our garden.

On 06/10/2023 at 12:52, Dave Searle said:

An unusual albino squirrel in Dorking earlier this year

2023-03-2716_10_10-A.jpg.f8c9f62253e0dc826004987de386586e.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

Hmmm, if those two were to mate!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

IMG_4469.jpeg.67b4884bc2ce592470940f0588e26c3c.jpeg

Edited by Martino
Couldn’t add text! Caught this guy today in our garden.
  • Like 9