Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

International Models ,Helensburgh

GWR Man

Used once and once only........ Never again !

Initial enquiry by telephone all seemed fine and money paid. Now for the BIG wait,and wait,and wait ....... you get the idea.

Telephone calls made promises given and after 6 ..........repeat 6 weeks my order arrived direct from the manufacturer and not the Helensburgh "shop" !!!!

Not impressed at all, lesson learnt not recommended by me.

Other than that Happy modelling everybody, Happy modelling :)

• 2 months later...

Hi

I used to use them when they where in wales and never had a problem at all, Now I am working on a new layout and would like to order some static grass that they have, Been put off using them after reading all this.

Can anyone tell me where I can get the same static grass from somewhere else?

Thanks

Darren

Edited by darren01

• 5 months later...

It looks like International Models is closing down....

http://www.internationalmodels.net

This was a good company when owned by Richard and based in Wales. Often seen on the exhibition circuit.

Very good mail order service.

Since changing hands and moving to Scotland, the business seems to have taken a big turn down in reputation and volume of trade.

Sad, but perhaps a consequence of being in Scotland? A case of goods having further to travel or simply different attitudes to what the owners want out of a business vs what they are prepared to put into it. The competition I think has also moved up a gear and in quality (from some of their products).

Sad, but perhaps a consequence of being in Scotland? A case of goods having further to travel or simply different attitudes to what the owners want out of a business vs what they are prepared to put into it. The competition I think has also moved up a gear and in quality (from some of their products).

I find that comment a bit harsh.  I wouldn't agree with your comment about "further to travel", Helensburgh is only about 20 miles outside Glasgow with road and rail links , it is not as if they are on the Outer Hebrides.  I cannot comment on their work ethic, having never dealt with the people, were they locals or someone who had relocated?

Jim

I wouldn't agree with your comment about "further to travel", Helensburgh is only about 20 miles outside Glasgow with road and rail links , it is not as if they are on the Outer Hebrides.

But still a long way from the south.

As I said above I have used them frequently in the past when they had a presence at shows.

That presence has noticeably decreased. Which I guess is understandable as travelling 400+ miles to a show in Southampton/Basingstoke/Reading/Aylesbury is going to be less profitable.

I'm really just looking for explanations though as to why this once well thought of business has gone into such decline.

As I said above I have used them frequently in the past when they had a presence at shows.

Repeating myself from an earlier reply Kenton, it's not "them" that are involved here.

It's someone else, who now owns the name and business.

I'm really just looking for explanations though as to why this once well thought of business has gone into such decline.

I guess it's essentially because it's now a different business, owned by someone else.

The "well thought of business" ceased to be when the company and name were sold to another party. 

It was up to the new owners to make good of the fine reputation and goodwill that they inherited as a result of purchase.

It may be conjecture, but it appears they probably didn't.

Repeating myself from an earlier reply Kenton, it's not "them" that are involved here.

It's someone else, who now owns the name and business.

I guess it's essentially because it's now a different business, owned by someone else.

The "well thought of business" ceased to be when the company and name were sold to another party. 

It was up to the new owners to make good of the fine reputation and goodwill that they inherited as a result of purchase.

It may be conjecture, but it appears they probably didn't.

.I reminded of another business that also used to be in

I'm reminded of another business that also used to reside in Helensburgh and eventually was sold and moved some way away - whose reputation also went downhill, and that really was a shame!

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm reminded of another business that also used to reside in Helensburgh and eventually was sold and moved some way away - whose reputation also went downhill, and that really was a shame!

Absolutely. Still miss it!

Sad to see another model shop go, but sadly the new owners just didn't provide the same level of service as the original owners.

Their website wasn't 'live', but simply gave the impression that everything was 'in stock'. You placed your order and it was pot luck as to whether the order arrived in a few days or few weeks . There was no communication from them, didn't respond to e--mails and difficult to contact by phone.

I suspect many, like me, stopped using them because of the poor service, which was a pity because they were a great source of Silflor/Mininatur products.

Mal

Shame,

I don't understand why you'd take a successful enterprise and run it into the ground

Nor do I.

But they are not alone in the model railway trade.

Being the main dealer for several well known product ranges I would have thought that it could have been a very profitable business.

Bernard

I don't understand why you'd take a successful enterprise and run it into the ground

Like many a business, I do not believe it is a concious decision or intent. Sadly business basics is not something that is remotely taught at school and very few posses these skills, or take the trouble to seek them out. Running a business is not something that you simply take up as an alternative to a simple 9-5 hum drum employment following a redundancy windfall. It takes a lot of dedication and the ability to learn new skills. Much of that learning (sales/marketing/customer relations/accounting/tax/planning/R&D/... comes at a big cost of time and some are just not cut out for it. There is a great deal of help out there but many are so traumatised by redundancy/the need to do it themselves/the real world that they put their head in the sands and hope that tomorrow will be another day.

For this reason and others such as bad product/inadequate finance/health/family commitments/... many businesses fail.

Recognising that failure and moving on is often as important as the initial decision (often made by the heart and not the head). I know nothing of this particular business or the original sale and new owners but have been involved in several business transfers. It is often sad to see but is repeated so often that it is so often a generalisatiion come true.

Fortunately it does work for some.

Not quite sure what they mean by the comment on the website,

details of our new trading arrangements will be announced shortly though our website which will remain accessible for updates.

Makes a change from those "website under construction" or "We haven't a clue how this world wide web thingy works" or "out to extended lunch"

They were always at shows in the South and then it became very infrequent to see them.

I wonder what will happen to the backscenes? A lot of work was put into them by the previous owners I believe.

I notice in one of the comments above it was refered to as a shop. It wasn't a shop they were just using their house. Nothing wrong with that. When they first moved up here I got in touch and invited them along to the Helensburgh and district model railway club. They said they would come along. But to the best of my knowledge they didn't. I would have thought they would have given the potential sales to the club and the members.

I used to use them a lot and they where fantastic at getting your order out , they also did shows, when the company moved to Scotland under new owners, i placed an order and had to wait weeks for it to arrive and when it did some of it was missing,

Emailed them a few times and phoned, took over a week to get a replay.

When i did it was all on back order, did get it in the end seven weeks later.

Pity this has happened and would have been good if it worked out for them.

I wonder what will happen to the backscenes? A lot of work was put into them by the previous owners I believe.

You can still get these they ID backscenes.

Darren

• RMweb Premium

Just in case of confusion, the reference to the shop as MAC models that used to be in Helensburgh. The proprietors retired and sold business to someone I think in Kirriemuir. The shop in Helensburgh was closed and much missed. This is distinct from International Models who moved to Helensburgh and is now shutting down. I don't think they ever had a shop up here.

• 4 weeks later...

"They" are probably still in Wales AFAIK. It's the business that went to Scotland, with someone else.

Yes, the Electoral Roll for Llwyngwril still shows Richard and Lynda Tebbutt......  Many successful dealings with them, mainly via Warley Show.

Note to self: I must get out more  :jester: 

• RMweb Premium

Just in case of confusion, the reference to the shop as MAC models that used to be in Helensburgh. The proprietors retired and sold business to someone I think in Kirriemuir.

Yes, Mac's Model Railroading, still in Kirriemuir.  I note, however, that they currently have a sale - "Everything at Half Price".........

DT