The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

I Fancy A New PC

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

I've just removed the type column and then set "show all folders the same" and it doesn't reappear, when navigating. :scratchhead:

Then use it in an application, file save ect - that is when it goes wrong!!!!

• RMweb Premium

Then use it in an application, file save ect - that is when it goes wrong!!!!

With every respect, this nitpicking is, first, hardly likely to concern the average user, and secondly OT so far as the original question is concerned.

DT

Hello,

If you need to buy, buy a Dell

If you want to build your own buy an ASUS motherboard (i never use anything else) and use Windows 7 and if you can afford it use a raid for your data and DONT forget to back up your data

Regards

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Gold

Mainstream Dell 350 quid then:-

http://configure.eur...9b10b4395730271

or 'Zoostorm' system 230 quid plus OS if you don't mind a bit of DIY:-

http://www.ebuyer.co...op-pc-7873-1058

I think I would get a better spec for the same price from my local dealer.Although saying that my mum used them for hers and was happy but shes less discerning than me.

• RMweb Premium

You could quite easily get a PC that would suit your requirements for the price you mention, indeed for less. It's your lad's gaming requirements that are more difficult. Most PCs in that price range, for example, come with graphics integrated in the motherboard. That's fine for general use, but may not be too good for gaming where people usually prefer a separate and often expensive graphics card. The best I've seen with a graphics card that's not too far from your price range is £409, for which you get an Intel core i3 processor, 4 GB RAM, 1GB video card (ATI HD6750 or nVidea GTS 250). Asus motherboard, and Windows 7 (but no monitor, keyboard or mouse). The major compromise with that system is the Hard drive - only 160 GB although it would be easy at a later stage to add a second, much larger, one for storage, as indeed it would be easy to add more RAM memory (I know it's easy because I've done it). And i don't know how well that entry-level video card would indeed perform for games.

If someone here who plays games could indicate the minimum requirement for graphics, I'd like to think that you could get a decent deal something along the above lines from your local dealer.

DT

• RMweb Gold

Why do they need to make their site so fancy that it is that choosey on browsers?

We're wandering off topic again, but anyhoo...

It's much easier to design a site when all browsers conform to standards. Old browsers like IE7 don't behave in the standard way for everything so you have to add tweaks and hacks all over the place make things look right. It's not that the site is fancy it's just that they resent the extra development work to support a small (3%) number of customers.

Personally if I came across their snarky message demanding a browser 'tax' I'd tell them where to go. Amazon won't charge me extra...

Archived