Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• RMweb Gold

I just picked up a second chance offer for a Heljan class 17 chassis for £17 and post free. I had originally put a max bid of £18 and the starting price was £15. So I was pretty satisfied all in all. Although one of the dud first batch, I will remotor the chassis or failing that strip to gain the bogie towers that will be used for another repowering project.

Neil

Just had a second chance offer which I accepted for a Wills/Southeastern Finecast SR Schools loco. The loco looks to have been either built or part built before being dismantled, there are parts also for an etched chassis. The photos are very bad so though the details say most of the kit is there I am working on it as a source of spares.

It cost in total just under £16 and to be quite honest it is the chassis I was interested in, may either be EM or P4. Horn guides fitted to the chassis. The Tender has also been worked on with the outer axle boxes being replaced by what looks like horn guides, as I said photos not the best.

I have a couple of locos but at least one has the older style Wills cast chassis, so I thought at worst I could replace the chassis and sell the tender and body parts to recoup my large investment, or rather pay for a new set of coupling & connecting rods and perhaps new cylinders

The loco parts arrived today, slightly disappointed with the lot but probably got £15 worth of parts. I think its a Wills Schools, though may have doubts on the tender, The chassis is home made and the frames are very good, so with a set of Gibson frames costing £11.50 + postage. I am not really out of pocket. There are lots of small whitemetal and brass parts (some may be not related with this kit) as well as larger cast parts.

I will have to get a Southeastern Finecast Schools parts list, just to decide what to do. One of the footplates has broken in half, this is a good thing as I want to practice repairing a footplate using a small jig.

On the plus side I have just won a SEF M7 with etched chassis and Markit wheels, for £37.39 all in more later in the sister thread 

Winning on bids that you didn't really expect to win. Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just picked up a DCC sound AC6000 HO model in the US for £63, no shipping as my mate who's a cabin crew is collecting it tomorrow and bringing it on sunday.....result

Are these still in use in the USA. I believe the ones used in Australia have all been scrapped, as they couldn't handle the heat in the Pilbara.

I nabbed a brass H0n3  D&RGW C16 2-8-0 yesterday and some guy is probably moaning about some bid sniping .I won it by about 10p.I always add a few pence to my total bid  just in case and this time  it worked .I also nabbed a PFM H0 brass Western Pacific  loco and tender for 60 quid  buy it now ..It looks terrible but thats just poor paintwork unless some hidden horrors are unseen .it all part of my back to brass campain .I am fed up with plastic locos shedding gears ,pulleys and bits .Especially when they brand new .I know my way around brass though many  need a remotor and NWSL gearbox  to modernise them .

Got my PFM Western Pacific 4-6-0 .nice loco .It has Mashima motor upgrade nad runs well after a bit of fiddling with the tender trucks .No bits missing except a tender truck spring so another biri plundered for abit of spring .Make te world of difference to te running reliablity .I keep wondering about a High Level Gear box for it .it will fit

• 2 weeks later...

How's this, good buy??

Just won a Hornby MN Clan Line for 43 quid?? Granted it has a valve gear issue on one side, otherwise VGC and boxed, see below;

post-20244-0-32961000-1422656684.jpg

but I decided that it was a cheap price to pay for a donor so I can get "35010 Blue Star" for my shed :senile:

Now I can source name/number plates and then all I need is to either repair or find some valve gear - anyone got some spare MN valve gear they're not using!?!?!? They are in short supply at most parts places best I can tell, so I may have to wait if I can't manage a repair - really only need a small pivot/rivet, I've seen that before...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't tell the wife but last night I won a DJH S&DJR 7F for £100. It's a model of the 1914 batch of small boilered locos, the recent Bachmann model is of the later batch but with spacer after the large diameter boilers were replaced.

The price of the kit, wheels and motor gearbox are double this price, and whilst there's remedial work to be done (stuttering running and a few scratches on the tender) it looks a well put together model. I think it's a bargain, but will see how it compares alongside the Bachmann models I have.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

How's this, good buy??

Just won a Hornby MN Clan Line for 43 quid?? Granted it has a valve gear issue on one side, otherwise VGC and boxed, see below;

attachicon.gifClanLineGear.JPG

but I decided that it was a cheap price to pay for a donor so I can get "35010 Blue Star" for my shed :senile:

Now I can source name/number plates and then all I need is to either repair or find some valve gear - anyone got some spare MN valve gear they're not using!?!?!? They are in short supply at most parts places best I can tell, so I may have to wait if I can't manage a repair - really only need a small pivot/rivet, I've seen that before...

Hello,

Is this a common fault with the MN valve gear then? I was kindly given a MN and on running it the small pin snapped. I think Peter's Spares has the item though not a small sum.

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253

Just received this from E-Bay, great item for all those small tools you have, and there are trays deep enough for Humbrol standard paint tins, as well as your super glues and card glues.

Plus it really looks good and is well made, with stainless steel corner protectors, carrying handles and rubber feet, dare I suggest this is ideal for those of you who exhibit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trinity-8-Drawer-Wood-Tool-Chest-Hardware-Tools-Wooden-Organizer-Box/131412066660?_trksid=p3693.c100102.m2452&_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140212121249%26meid%3D621c18e51ed14f92a44f90ee5b2f09bd%26pid%3D100102%26

Hello,

Is this a common fault with the MN valve gear then? I was kindly given a MN and on running it the small pin snapped. I think Peter's Spares has the item though not a small sum.

Rob

Rob,

I'd not consider myself an expert in the matter, but I've seen several now offered with the same issue/problem, and even received one a while back in that condition (was NOT noted in the listing, was full price/expensive so was returned by me for a refund).

At present none of the spares traders seem to have MN valve gear in stock (slightly different length than BB/WC), at least that I can find, and the item appears to be about 20 quid or more listed by many that would carry it. For now I'll likely try a repair unless/until parts are available.

I think one of the issues, noted as I've purchased several BB/MN/WC locos over the past year or so, is that MANY offered are in new/MIB condition and probably NEVER run, so they need some care/lubrication before attempting to run them. I've also had a couple where the drive gear is split - another fairly common problem that I also think can be a result of long term non-running. The gear is easily obtainable though, at least last time I needed one it was.

• RMweb Premium

Rob,

I'd not consider myself an expert in the matter, but I've seen several now offered with the same issue/problem, and even received one a while back in that condition (was NOT noted in the listing, was full price/expensive so was returned by me for a refund).

At present none of the spares traders seem to have MN valve gear in stock (slightly different length than BB/WC), at least that I can find, and the item appears to be about 20 quid or more listed by many that would carry it. For now I'll likely try a repair unless/until parts are available.

I think one of the issues, noted as I've purchased several BB/MN/WC locos over the past year or so, is that MANY offered are in new/MIB condition and probably NEVER run, so they need some care/lubrication before attempting to run them. I've also had a couple where the drive gear is split - another fairly common problem that I also think can be a result of long term non-running. The gear is easily obtainable though, at least last time I needed one it was.

Ian,

Thanks for the info'. I'll repair it eventually, not my era, but it's a nice model. I also have a Hornby Brit' I can't part with as it's what I used to watch on the GER main line in my yoof. I'll have to run some steam charters to make use of them.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Don't tell the wife but last night I won a DJH S&DJR 7F for £100. It's a model of the 1914 batch of small boilered locos, the recent Bachmann model is of the later batch but with spacer after the large diameter boilers were replaced.

The price of the kit, wheels and motor gearbox are double this price, and whilst there's remedial work to be done (stuttering running and a few scratches on the tender) it looks a well put together model. I think it's a bargain, but will see how it compares alongside the Bachmann models I have.

Neil

Received it today. Some attention required to the tender (slight kink in the forward LH corner of the tender, and patch painting needed) but a superbly put together DJH loco for £100. Will test run later in the week when I return to Bristol but I think this is a bargain. My first DJH loco that will join my SDJR roster - both my great Grandfathers probably drove the prototype at some time in their careers. Well pleased.

Neilpost-6925-0-31898100-1422987807_thumb.jpg

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 4

These are two of my old brass buys .The Western Pacific was £60 and the SP 4-4-2 £50.Bargains but need a bit of fairly skilled work to get up to snuff .The Western Pacific is a pretty good runner ,but the SP doesnt run and has a fiber gear anyway so will probably be the first to get remotored ,regeared ,lit and sounded ,then painted as 3001 but in the specific Daylight coloured cab and tender .I was looking for one of these and couldnt believe it  when one popped up so cheap .

post-4984-0-81808000-1423060273_thumb.jpgpost-4984-0-24230900-1423060295_thumb.jpg

Edited by alfsboy
  • Like 3

I will be putting a repaired "MN" (engine only) and a spare MN part-chassis, both working, on eBay in due course.

Replacement Hornby MN valve gear is impossible to buy because there hasn't been any stock for at least a year. Instead, you end up stripping chassis to get the bits you want.

Edited by Horsetan

Hopefully just had a result, an Ambrico AC cars railcar, I have the Airfix Park Royal and the MTL Bristol and Wagonbasher railcars so now have a set of the first generation BR cars. About £30 all in, on a Lima chassis but the body looks fine

Rail car arrived a few days ago, very pleased with getting it. One regret is that the steps have been cut off (to fit the Lima chassis) and no underframe details have been kept. Paint job is what's expected from 40+ years ago, still it will come off quickly and as I had to stick one end back should come apart without any problems. I have a couple of books with photos and sketch plans in so I can make an attempt to replicate the underframe.

Over all could have been better but I now do have one at a price that was not through the roof 

Might have a spare set of MN valve gear, I bought a broken 35012 a year or so back, the followed it with an unbroken one at a very good price, but not before I'd bought the valve gear for the repair, then sold on the other.. If your still looking let me know and I'll have a look (will be early next week as that tin of bits is way at the back of the loft).

Check the email I sent you...thanks for the heads-up...

I will be putting a repaired "MN" (engine only) and a spare MN part-chassis, both working, on eBay in due course.

Replacement Hornby MN valve gear is impossible to buy because there hasn't been any stock for at least a year. Instead, you end up stripping chassis to get the bits you want.

Does the "part chassis" have complete valve gear, or only repaired engine??

Does the "part chassis" have complete valve gear, or only repaired engine??

The part-chassis has bogie, trailing truck, working motor, drivetrain, driving wheels, coupling and connecting rods, plus left-hand valve gear only. No cylinders or right-hand valve gear.

The part-chassis has bogie, trailing truck, working motor, drivetrain, driving wheels, coupling and connecting rods, plus left-hand valve gear only. No cylinders or right-hand valve gear.

Darn - my right side is the broken side. Not sure I'd be adept at marrying two broken halves into a working set anyway...