Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• RMweb Premium

I recently purchased three Oxford Diecast low loader trailers (the modern 'trombone' type) via e-bay for £18 + £3.95 postage. They were described as 'faulty' hence the low price. When they arrived the 'faults' turned out to be that one small part on two of the trailers had become detached, easily dealt with with a spot of glue. The third trailer does not appear to have any faults at all. A single example of one of these trailers is currently on offer at  a buy now price of £15.95 + postage.

So this has to be an all time winner, for me at least, and a step towards the "dark side" of sound decoder equipped locos...

Fancy someone putting a stated NEW in original box 32-503 Bachmann Std 5MT with ESU sound installed.

Starting price only 75USD with a BIN of 200USD.

Sits there for FIVE DAYS and still no-one bidding AT ALL with 5 minutes to go, so I fired off a bid at 6 seconds and won the blamed thing for a mere 127USD, that's only about 83 QUID!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bachmann-32-503-Standard-Class-5MT-73030-BR-black-with-early-emblem-with-sound-/291389111031?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=V5KBnfhu9kn%252Fg0HwlSMtQX43%252FtY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I've already got the same loco without sound but figure it's an easy fix to renumber one of them :) Good job it's my birthday on Monday :senile:  :jester:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Parcel waiting for me when I got home and was very eager to open it. The description was kit built GWR 94xx with Portiscap motor P4 gauge I paid £57.79 including postage. Good seller who I trust, I missed a P4 Terrier which was a few pounds cheaper, but motor was unknown.

I want it to test track, all I have at the moment is a Polly and Airfix Pug both with scratch built chassis and to be quite honest neither fantastic runners as I need to alter the pickups. I also have a very nice MPD LMS 3F which needs a body repair.

Anyway opened the box, put it on a piece of track and it rums exceptionally well, the body is OK (ish), average detail but poor paint finish.  But what a loco for under £60, well pleased

• Like 5

But what a loco for under £60, well pleased

I'm sure I have seen that price paid just for a Portiscap. Of course it might have been selling cheaper being attached to a P4 loco ;) ;) I seem to be missing out on ebay of late even with sniping I seem to be pipped at the post too frequently. I must change my selective searches.

I'm sure I have seen that price paid just for a Portiscap. Of course it might have been selling cheaper being attached to a P4 loco ;) ;) I seem to be missing out on ebay of late even with sniping I seem to be pipped at the post too frequently. I must change my selective searches.

Kenton

Quite often Portiscap's go for a bit more, half the time its just luck finding things. If I see something interesting I look at the sellers other items

• Like 1

I was after the motor, wheels and chassis for my own 94xx project.

The chassis is interesting as the outer two sets of drivers are rigid and the centre ones sprung, seems to run OK and as I said its a test loco so not too concerned about either the paint finish or lack of detail

• RMweb Premium

The part-chassis has bogie, trailing truck, working motor, drivetrain, driving wheels, coupling and connecting rods, plus left-hand valve gear only. No cylinders or right-hand valve gear.

Does the rest of it look like this?

Cheers,

ick

..don't think he could list them fast enough... I think it was like one sold every 3-5 minutes..

Should that be one born every 3-5 minutes? I do hope they remain a good buy when they arrive. How many in total? Sold by someone with a warehouse/shop full?

If you think £35 for a brand new terrier is a bad deal, then do you mind if I ask where you go shopping for this hobby ?

You misunderstood me, I fear. I was suggesting it was a;most too good to be true. Who has that many to sell in one go. A reputable trader maybe. Someone off-loading?

Oh sorry,

Here's the link, the seller has a feedback rating, get this, 345,000 !!! - that's 200k more than rails' s profile on ebay, not sure I've seen many sellers with more figures than that in the model railway section.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Loco-R3046-LSWR-0-6-0-735-A1X-Terrier-Class-Ltd-Collectors-Club-Special-/331501052673?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d2f00a301

Tends to point towards being a job lot from Hornby.

It is a shop selling toys and models, think I have bought some Scalextrix from them in the distant past

I know the seller in question he used to play cricket for our team and was very good at it pops along and watches now and then however we have never talked model railways

He's is a very honest guy who is just running a business and doing well at it

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, just tried buying something at a very good price from the place with 345,000 feedback. Accepted the order, took my money, and then cancelled the order as item out of stock, and refunded the money. Why list items that are out of stock? Fortunately picked one up at a higher price from my usual box shifter, but annoying and a waste of my time. The only other time I tried to use them a few years ago, there was a hidden insurance cost (£1?) in the checkout process.....Won't bother again. There are most straightforward places to buy from.

• 3 weeks later...

Just secured an unbuilt PDK etched kit for the Gresley D49/1 and Robinson tender - a shade under £69 (which compares relatively well against maker's current retail of £98, and very well against asking price of £70 for the tender kit alone!). Already have P4 wheels for it, so looks like a bargain.

Only things left to obtain are a Comet motion etch for it, and to decide which coreless motor to stick in there.

Thanks, Why am I so suspicious of 345,000 feedback? Even if it is over 15 years. Even at £1 profit per item that is quite a tidy sum. Who says there is nothing to be made out of selling toys?

I have bought from these people. Very often when you enter a search for an item that is apparently rare or out of stock elsewhere, these people have it. They also deal in model cars both slot and radio control. Massive web presence and quite aggressive as I still get E Mails from them periodically.