Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

I'm feeling quite chuffed at the moment with my latest purchase. I picked up a Nu-Cast GWR 70' Railmotor (later brass chassis version complete with wheels, motor and gears etc.) for US$37.00. The postage ended up greater than the cost of the kit but it still came out at around A$107.00 all up. Now I just need to get myself in the right frame of mind to attempt the valve gear - almost watchmaker work at first glance.

Dave R.

• Like 2

Had a real bit of good luck again, having been press ganged/joined the o gauge section of the club, mi interests in 0 gauge have been rekindled, won a MR 6 wheel coach kit with a 6 wheel Syphon at a good price and I must say these kits are quite superb

Just had another delivery which whilst being quoted as H0 (well it had 3 bagged airfix kits) what I spotted was  number of Phoenix figures (9 packed and 5 separate) along with a few Slaters, these are 7 mm. there were some other parts including a nice chunkey back to back gauge, well I thought at £3 a time 14 figures and a back to back gauge was worth the £38 inc postage ans I need some drivers and firemen. The other parts which I thought as a bonus turned out to be 3 Peco Brake vans and a mink van along with a Slaters MR brake van, all needing minor repairs, plus 0 gauge passenger foot bridge and white metal GWR conical water tank, 2 pairs of finescale wagon wheels and 3 pairs of slightly less fine scale wheels

Then I have 3 Airfix Loco kits which are of no use to me.

I knew there were a few extra bits but the photos were not that good and I failed to take in what was there 

• Like 1

I hope you left appropriate marks for delivery time and method 

I never thought I would be leaving 5 stars so frequently for Hermes, but the new chap is great, the hub seems to have been shaken up a bit and both times the sellers sent the items within 24 hours. I see the star rating as saying thanks to the sender for the service given, comments to give feedback that others can see

• Like 1

Had a real bit of good luck again, having been press ganged/joined the o gauge section of the club, mi interests in 0 gauge have been rekindled, won a MR 6 wheel coach kit with a 6 wheel Syphon at a good price and I must say these kits are quite superb

Just had another delivery which whilst being quoted as H0 (well it had 3 bagged airfix kits) what I spotted was  number of Phoenix figures (9 packed and 5 separate) along with a few Slaters, these are 7 mm. there were some other parts including a nice chunkey back to back gauge, well I thought at £3 a time 14 figures and a back to back gauge was worth the £38 inc postage ans I need some drivers and firemen. The other parts which I thought as a bonus turned out to be 3 Peco Brake vans and a mink van along with a Slaters MR brake van, all needing minor repairs, plus 0 gauge passenger foot bridge and white metal GWR conical water tank, 2 pairs of finescale wagon wheels and 3 pairs of slightly less fine scale wheels

Then I have 3 Airfix Loco kits which are of no use to me.

I knew there were a few extra bits but the photos were not that good and I failed to take in what was there

The two 7mm kits looked good I had a dabble but did not go too far as I was buying an ultrasonic cleaner.

Peter

If it was the same ones it was a bit of a gamble as it might have helped if I knew what I was looking at, plus there was no confirmation of everything being there. as for the extra wagon ?

Still at just under £30 each a good buy and introduction to Slaters kits. Need instructions for the Syphon ast there are so many additional parts, plus transfers for both. I have some Slaters seats and bought some Tower screw couplings a week or so ago.

Been looking at the Peco kits, have one of each of the 3 types of toad plus a Banana van, as I said a few repairs needed but now have quite a selection of Toads. Think my EM version of Bodmin is on the back burner for a bit whilst I sort out something small in 0 gauge.

• Like 2

I recently dealt with the modelling items from the Estate of a late friend. The books were the most difficult to find buyers for, several book sellers wanting to cherry pick the good stuff and ignore the rest. In the end they went to a local, very good, book seller who is not one of the usual suspects.

The last of the kits and bits will be on the B & B at S4N at Wakefield.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson

When do you buy something you do not want, the answer is when it has parts you want

I bought a Wills Finecast 2251 class loco for £59.90 inc postage, firstly I am trying to sell one so I don't want another. But it has  Southeastern Finecast etched chassis, a set of 3 pairs of Gibson drivers and tender wheels, These cover the cost of what I spent, then there is a set of Gibson crankpins and a Gibson gear box !! a set of number plates best of all a Mashima 1420 motor, I have plenty of the 16's but need a smaller one for either a SR P class or J69.

The kit will go back on eBay as I have no use for it as I have a couple of them already, the chassis and wheels will either go with one which still has a triang chassis or a Q class loco

• RMweb Premium

I just received a beautiful custom painted Overland SD50F in CN colours from a chap who is a real credit to EBay (if he is a member of RMWeb and reads this - thank you!), the whole process showed EBay at its best and that for all the negativity about EBay there are still plenty of good and genuine private sellers there.

I just received a beautiful custom painted Overland SD50F in CN colours from a chap who is a real credit to EBay (if he is a member of RMWeb and reads this - thank you!), the whole process showed EBay at its best and that for all the negativity about EBay there are still plenty of good and genuine private sellers there.

I think the whole model railway community can take credit by the way thousands of deals regularly change hands trouble free, this thread clearly shows it is working well with all but a few cases of things going wrong, which in my case was either due to poor packing or loss/mishandling by the courier.

Clearly there are bargains to be had, but also some are willing to pay over the top for rare or hard to get items or items (kit built or painted/weathered) which are beyond their ability. I have also built up a small band of dealers who I am more than happy dealing with. Lets face it eBay is the biggest model railway shop in town and has saved millions of items which would have been thrown away in the past 

• 2 weeks later...

May have unearthed an interesting lot, 12 good photos of three Pannier tank locos, thought it was worth a punt and paid just over £42 inc postage

States the Hornby loco as a non runner, well these are dead easy to fix, must be worth a tenner on resale

Next is a Graham Farish 94xx on a Bachmann chassis, well if the chassis works must be somewhere between £10 and £20 resale

What took my eye was a white metal 1366 pannier tank with Romford wheels and a D12 motor. Think at £42 this is worth it and whatever I can get for the other bits must put it into the good buy bracket

By the way just found out Jedenco did kits in 7 mm scale were they sold under the shedmaster brand,or is it just in a shed master box. How do I know ?, I bought a set of etches for the Adams Radial

Edited by hayfield

May have unearthed an interesting lot, 12 good photos of three Pannier tank locos, thought it was worth a punt and paid just over £42 inc postage

States the Hornby loco as a non runner, well these are dead easy to fix, must be worth a tenner on resale

Next is a Graham Farish 94xx on a Bachmann chassis, well if the chassis works must be somewhere between £10 and £20 resale

What took my eye was a white metal 1366 pannier tank with Romford wheels and a D12 motor. Think at £42 this is worth it and whatever I can get for the other bits must put it into the good buy bracket

By the way just found out Jedenco did kits in 7 mm scale were they sold under the shedmaster brand,or is it just in a shed master box. How do I know ?, I bought a set of etches for the Adams Radial

Hunch paid off, it is a DJH GWR 1366 pannier tank (no HR/LMS printed on my box as one has just sold for £71.50) along with a Bachmann pannier chassis which is working and a Hornby pannier with a smoke unit, which is not working as the wire to the pick up plate has come adrift. The Farish 94xx has 3 broken steps so is bin fodder. The DJH will be kept and the Bachmann and Hornby items  will be sold

Quite pleased with the DJH model, has a broken step and 2 broken buffers, neither being an issue and it will be taken apart and rebuilt  

• Like 1

A Ratio LMS ex Midland Johnson 2-4-0 motorised with brass chassis and metal wheels, all for £6. Not from E-bay but from a local exhibition.

16 quid for a duff Bachmann pannier (old cab), plus an old M&L conversion kit to convert it to the new Collett cab for £7. As the chassis is scrap, I'll bin it and buy a High Level chassis kit instead.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just ordered an Overland SD45T-2 in Cotton Belt livery, the 2005 run for 460 Euros inc. P&P, for a good clean late run Overland SD45 tunnel motor that's quite the bargain.

• Like 1

16 quid for a duff Bachmann pannier (old cab), plus an old M&L conversion kit to convert it to the new Collett cab for £7. As the chassis is scrap, I'll bin it and buy a High Level chassis kit instead.

Ivan

Even if it does not work, sell it on eBay as someone will recycle it.

• Like 1